ADVERTISEMENT

The "Illegal Formation" called against our punt coverage team

Knight of Pegasus

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
So the discussion in the other thread (https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/a-closer-look-at-ucfs-2023-high-school-transfer-class-who-is-contributing-and-who-is-not-⚔️🏈.113560/) about if it was Marc-Antony Richards or Isaiah Nixon who was called for the illegal formation on the punt return got me thinking about that strange call. I went back and rewatched it. We had just come up with a huge stop when we were up by 4 points in the 4th quarter and forced them to punt, but this call allowed them to continue their drive and kick a FG to make it a 1 point game. Here is what that "illegal formation" looked like at the snap:

XvKyy6b.png

And here's the NCAA rule on the subject:

Defensive Linemen on Scrimmage Kick Plays
If Team A is in a scrimmage kick formation at the snap, any Team B player within one yard of the line of scrimmage must be aligned completely outside the frame of the body of the snapper at the snap

Yes, MAR is lined up inside the body of the snapper. However, he is clearly lined up more than a yard back from the line of scrimmage. The line was about the 43.5, and MAR was lined up at the 45. It definitely was a bad call by the back judge who was 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage and not in a position to be able to see where MAR was in relation to the line. No wonder Gus was so upset about it. It could have been the difference in the game had Cincinnati converted their final 2 point conversion to tie it up and possibly send the game to OT. I guess being in the P4 doesn't mean you'll get quality refs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News