ADVERTISEMENT

The Neighborhood ... What a Complete Effing Joke of a Concept

Jedi.Knight

Bronze Knight
Apr 21, 2008
The Neighborhood follows "the nicest guy in the Midwest who moves his family into a tough neighborhood in L.A. where not everyone appreciates his extreme neighborliness. That includes their new next-door neighbor Calvin (Cedric the Entertainer).

This must be the most absurd, ridiculous concept ever created. I understand there has to be a certain level of "suspension of belief" but come on, Hollywood's not even trying to give a fucck anymore.

Like some well-established Jewish dude is going to up and move to South Central L A. for whatever reason is just a work of pure fiction. More politically correct SJW mind control social engineering bullshit for me not to watch.

I saw a commercial for it. It did seem...weird. The whole concept of the commercial was that Cedric the Entertainer's character thought it was weird that people shook hands when they meet....

Yeah...

Not my type of show.

I saw a commercial for it. It did seem...weird. The whole concept of the commercial was that Cedric the Entertainer's character thought it was weird that people shook hands when they meet....

Yeah...

Not my type of show.

I just watched the trailer and yea- WTF? Not only do the houses and yards looks fake as can be, it's basically a show based upon racism masquerading as comedy, dashed with a few homophobic jokes here and there.

I can only imagine the reaction if a comedy launched where the premise was a white guy wanting to keep his community white, and instantly hating the black guy next door.

I can only imagine the reaction if a comedy launched where the premise was a white guy wanting to keep his community white, and instantly hating the black guy next door.

*Not sure if serious*

This does look absolutely terrible, though.

Tell me where this show hurt you.

Maybe he's trying to move into the neighborhood before it becomes gentrified. Buy low, sell high. George and Barbara Bush use to live in South Central LA.

The show will die. Hollywood has to do Hollywood things to keep the Hollywood types quiet. Movie houses and TV networks sacrifice a lot of money on projects like these out of necessity even though they know they will suck.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Tell me where this show hurt you.

Maybe he's trying to move into the neighborhood before it becomes gentrified. Buy low, sell high. George and Barbara Bush use to live in South Central LA.
Yeah, but I doubt that GHB and June Cleaver were sitting on the stoop drinking 40 oz St Ides and watching cars with hydraulics bounce while waiting for the next drive-by

They even got buck shot Pam in the show. The only trophy USF has ever won shows up at about 26 seconds:

Can you point me to a comedy where this is the premise?

The "there goes the neighborhood" storyline has been used hundreds, if not thousands, of times since television began, from All In The Family/The Jeffersons all the way to Black-ish.

The "there goes the neighborhood" storyline has been used hundreds, if not thousands, of times since television began, from All In The Family/The Jeffersons all the way to Black-ish.

I've heard of but never seen the first 2 and I've seen Blackish and it's typically the African American family making jokes about what they think white people are thinking.

That's a bit different than this new show, where the premise is literally a guy instantly hating another guy because of his skin color. And hating his presence in his neighborhood for his skin color. That kind of overt racism we haven't seen before in a network comedy.

I've heard of but never seen the first 2 and I've seen Blackish and it's typically the African American family making jokes about what they think white people are thinking.

That's a bit different than this new show, where the premise is literally a guy instantly hating another guy because of his skin color. And hating his presence in his neighborhood for his skin color. That kind of overt racism we haven't seen before in a network comedy.
All in the Family toed that line so I wouldn’t say it’s the first we’ve seen. But it certainly wasn’t the main premise of that show.

All in the Family toed that line so I wouldn’t say it’s the first we’ve seen. But it certainly wasn’t the main premise of that show.
Archie Bunker straight up called George a n-word on the show, all the time.

Yeah, but I doubt that GHB and June Cleaver were sitting on the stoop drinking 40 oz St Ides and watching cars with hydraulics bounce while waiting for the next drive-by
I enjoy the show Green Acres. I know one of the stars, Eva Gabor, was of Jewish descent but I never saw anything remotely politically correct on the show. Actually quite the reverse. Some of the episodes made fun of Mexicans--the word "wetback" was used by Mr. Haney--as well as American Indians and feminists. It is not a wholesome show like Leave It To Beaver; it is just a silly TV show that made fun of pretty much everything.
I also loved the show Lassie when I was a kid. I am talking about the old one with June Lockhart. I think I saw all of the episodes and I don't remember seeing anything left-wing. It is kind of silly as well, as Lassie can apparently do everything short of driving a car, but it was fun to watch as a kid and I would allow my kids to watch it.
Rawhide was a pretty good western as was The Rebel. The Rebel was about Johnny Yuma, a former Confederate soldier who travels around the west doing good deeds.
I will likely think of more later when I am finished here, as I tend to do that.

Archie Bunker and George Jefferson.

That show wasn’t about making fun of George though. It was about putting down Archie’s bigoted views and him growing and becoming more tolerant as his family and friends continued to challenge his viewpoints. Archie was played by a liberal and Carroll O’Connor was proud that he was able to play Archie as a human being rather than just demonize him as an evil bigot. That’s the kind of portrayal that builds bridges and helps foster change through understanding and compassion.

Contrast with today where many characters with a viewpoint the writers and actors don’t like is written and played as evil; none more so prominent than the caricatures of the Christian preacher and congregation. I don’t know if it’s a chicken and egg with culture and art, but both places are reflecting the dehumanization of people. All in the Family never fell into that trap and that’s why it was a great show.

I can honestly say I've never seen one episode of All in the Family since it ran a decade prior to me even being born. I've seen older shows but this one never struck me as something I'd want to see.

I think we can all agree that the early 70's were a much different time than today, too. That makes this new show even more egregious knowing that we have to go back to 1972 to find a show with the same level of in your face racism for laughs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT