ADVERTISEMENT

Three Power 6 Non conference games

surfer98

Four-Star Recruit
Nov 30, 2017
As long as we are in AAC we need to schedule three Power 6 non conference games every year. SC state and FAU, despite being a tough game, do nothing for our reputation, fan following, strength of schedule, etc. We need to get rid of FCS and non power conference schools unless we are in another conference. We need to get Danny White to push for one Florida school (FSU, Miami, or UF) to play us and other regional games (UNC, GT, etc) every year. That makes for a schedule that people can'g gripe about nearly as much when it comes to strength of schedule in case we are undefeated and have a chance at the playoffs. I like the UNC games- more like this!!

As long as we are in AAC we need to schedule three Power 6 non conference games every year. SC state and FAU, despite being a tough game, do nothing for our reputation, fan following, strength of schedule, etc. We need to get rid of FCS and non power conference schools unless we are in another conference. We need to get Danny White to push for one Florida school (FSU, Miami, or UF) to play us and other regional games (UNC, GT, etc) every year. That makes for a schedule that people can'g gripe about nearly as much when it comes to strength of schedule in case we are undefeated and have a chance at the playoffs. I like the UNC games- more like this!!
Agreed. Easier said than done. These teams have their schedules booked out years in advance and don’t want to do 1 and 1 series.

Same reason you don't want to play FAU, is why UF, FSU or Miami doesn't want to play UCF. An ACC or SEC team that wins its conference with no more than 1 loss will make the playoffs 99% regardless of OOC schedule.
2 different reasons actually. We don’t want to play lesser known schools because the committee and other football fans say we didn’t play anyone. They don’t want to play us because they may get a loss.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
Didn't the State Legislature have to get involved to force UF and FSU to play each other annually years ago ? (I'm talking more than 25 years ago here)

Pathetic though that these supposed "superior" teams are so passive aggressive.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
2 different reasons actually. We don’t want to play lesser known schools because the committee and other football fans say we didn’t play anyone. They don’t want to play us because they may get a loss.

In either case there is no incentive only downside. Playing a #1 UCF would not change the fact of whether UF, Miami, or FSU makes the playoffs. Playing a FAU team that only finishes with 1 loss would most likely not impact, but could for UCF.

In either case there is no incentive only downside. Playing a #1 UCF would not change the fact of whether UF, Miami, or FSU makes the playoffs. Playing a FAU team that only finishes with 1 loss would most likely not impact, but could for UCF.
hat being said, I don't mind playing FAU if they are the worst team on schedule.But then we can't play an FCS team.

I like playing FIU and FAU. SC State was a filler because they needed anything. If scheduling P6 teams was simple I am sure they would do it. also they have to ensure we have a certain number of home games and not many P6 schools want to do a home and away. They want a one-off filler game like we have with SC State.

hat being said, I don't mind playing FAU if they are the worst team on schedule.But then we can't play an FCS team.

Never going to happened unless its forced. Don't care who the coach is, your career is based on wins. You will always schedule to make sure you have an easy win as well as home games.

Florida would have to drop FSU or give up a home game every other year in order to play UCF (assuming you want a home and home). There is zero benefit to UF to make that happen.

If HCJH can keep this train rolling forward I would think UCF would be in play for the next round of conference changes to move up.

Last edited:
I just love how scared the "big 3" in Florida are of us now.

A coworker of mine who is a big gator guy was trying to make fun of us by saying "If UCF played an all SEC conference schedule no way they would have made it to 13-0!"

My reply was "Schedule us and find out!"

He said "There is no up-side for UF to do so."

I simply said "Scared."

He walked away mad.

That’s the only answer we get these days from any traditionally big or top P5 schools. Lame and sad.

I think it’s only gonna get harder as more of the conferences are increasing the conference games each team plays. That only leave 2-3 non conference games and they would rather play a cupcake than a top 25 team (or NC) like UCF.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Lame and sad.
Perhaps, but also true. Heck, just look at the posts on here complaining about playing FAU and other smaller schools. You can't complain about the P5 not scheduling UCF and then turn around and b!tch about playing what you deem to be lower level teams.

Reactions: NU_FTW
That only leave 2-3 non conference games and they would rather play a cupcake than a top 25 team (or NC) like UCF.

Absolutely. And ideally they play the cupcake early to get their feet under them before hitting the conference schedule.

Perhaps, but also true. Heck, just look at the posts on here complaining about playing FAU and other smaller schools. You can't complain about the P5 not scheduling UCF and then turn around and b!tch about playing what you deem to be lower level teams.
True. I actually don’t have a problem playing FAU. Maybe FIU lately.

However, we don’t need to be playing South Carolina State and FSU, UF, etc doesn’t need to be playing FCS schools either. That’s where the problem lies.

Whats sad about scheduling an FCS is certain years you're playing a team thats a notch below the North Dakota State's and James Madison's but no one will care.
Scheduling a UNC, Georgia Tech, Kentucky or South Carolina should be idea regional ooc match ups.
I think alternating with FIU and FAU is fine. Going on the road to Boca Raton or Miami is a relatively easy opportunity for the fanbase ability to travel.

Reactions: Mikesi
Of course with the fickle fanbase of the Miami Hurricanes, playing there is another good opportunity for the UCF fanbase to showcase their support.

Great in theory but very few are going to play us. Especially not a home and home series. There is nothing to gain in it for them and everything to lose. I have a feeling we are going to have to play at their house for at least 5 years and beat them consistently to gain respect. Then maybe we can start to get the home and home series with power 5 schools

I think it’s only gonna get harder as more of the conferences are increasing the conference games each team plays. That only leave 2-3 non conference games and they would rather play a cupcake than a top 25 team (or NC) like UCF.
Agree. Reducing cross-conference match ups makes assessing strength of schedule and FBS-wide rankings more subjective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT