ADVERTISEMENT

***Thursday Recruiting Update***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
With only six or so spots remaining, I'm hearing a lot of tough decisions have to be made in regards to who actually gets to claim the final scholarships. I'm not sure how UCF is going to do it because there are still a lot of needs to be addressed.

QBs - You really need two and because of the situation with KZ you need some experience to compete with Darriel Mack next season. I'm still thinking it'll be a grad transfer + Jordan Travis. Dillon Gabriel is also in play and Lebby just went to go visit him.

RB - UCF still needs one. Could be a three-way race between Damarius Good, Knowledge McDaniel and Raykwon Anderson.

WR - UCF is still saving a spot for Jarrad Baker Jr. who visited last week. He'll go to Baylor this week for his fifth and final visit.

OL - UCF still wants one more JUCO OT. A lot of names have been linked, not sure who it will come down to.

DL - This continues to be a pressing need when you consider the graduation losses and uncertainty with Trysten Hill (NFL possibility). JUCO players remain the focus and I'm thinking UCF wants at least two more at this position. Some BIG news on that below.

LB - Not sure if there's room to add another. UCF just needs to hang on to Jeremiah Jean who is seeing a big push from Ole Miss.

DB - At least 1-2 more. Jarvis Brownlee is a target and we've seen some JUCO offers go out. UCF could lose three of their top five DBs (Kyle Gibson, Rashard Causey, Nevelle Clarke). Gibson and Causey are graduating and Clarke *could* (not definite, but whispered) explore his NFL options.

K - Gotta get a kicker to replace the best one in UCF history. I'm sure UCF would like to get a kicker to walk-on first and then after a year put him on a scholarship which wouldn't count against the 25. Zack Sessa has always been a target.

From what I posted, that's 9-10 players and UCF just doesn't have that kind of room with the current numbers.

Hoping to get a clearer idea on this weekend's visits later on Thursday. But one big name I'm hearing is coming down is JUCO DE Jacoby Jones (Butler CC), arguably the top JUCO DL in the nation. He committed over the summer to Oklahoma and recently flipped to Texas. Shane Burnham has been all over him from the start and has been in to see him this week. Jacoby might want to keep it hush-hush (considering his current status with Texas) so keep that in here for now.

The selling point? UCF can offer Jacoby a starting job from day one. UCF has proved that its players can be drafted high (see Bortles, Perriman, Hughes) and it also helps the cause when you see Ed Oliver will be a top five pick out of Houston. The American sends players to the NFL just like any other league.

Josh Heupel was in Atlanta on Wednesday where he saw WR commit Justin Menard. Hearing he'll be in Pensacola on Thursday to see new OL commit Adrian Medley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News