ADVERTISEMENT

Tipping hotel maids

Ucfmikes

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2015
Do most of you guys tip? If so, how much?

There’s such a shortage in the service industry and it’s an important, but thankless job.

I’m thinking that I should up my game here. Thoughts?

You always get better service recognizing an employee. We usually write a brief ”thanks for the nice room” and $5.00 with our first names. It really has been worth it especially with multi- day stays.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I used to travel a lot back in the day and never tipped. But nowadays, the wifey and I don't stay anywhere without tipping -- it's a really big deal for my wifey. Like Ucfmikes, she feels its very important to thank people with a tip who are in thankless jobs.

We do $5 for an overnight and more for an extended stay.

Just the tip... a couple of bucks per knight.

I also try to keep it relatively tidy to be courteous... And leave any unopened snacks / drinks with a note.

Just the tip... a couple of bucks per knight.

I also try to keep it relatively tidy to be courteous... And leave any unopened snacks / drinks with a note.
I left a $20 bill and unfortunately a 25 ounce unopened Michelob Ultra in the refrigerator

"Tipping is not a city in China" read a sign years ago in the mini proshop/restaurant bar at an old golf course in Ohio I grew up on. It included a caricature of a (presumably) Chinese waitress.

I'll have to stop in to see if it's still up or has been cancelled.

100 bucks for the bartender on the first night and 100 bucks for the room service on the last day.

Unemployed and doesn’t leave his house 😂😊😊
Before this thread explodes into back & forth banter... Just meet each other in The Parking Lot.

Before this thread explodes into back & forth banter... Just meet each other in The Parking Lot.

I wouldn't sweat it. Mike has basically been tamed and neutered. He can't resort to his normal tactics anymore.

Leave the room a mess and the tip is keeping them employed just staying at the hotel.

People are making too much money if they are traveling and staying in hotels. Time to tax them hard too.

I wouldn't sweat it. Mike has basically been tamed and neutered. He can't resort to his normal tactics anymore.
^^^^^^

39uvt2.png

So, I guess he really did go cry to Rivals just so he could return to posting here.

I didn't think he could be more of a pathetic loser, but he's really outdone himself. Bravo.
Absolutely no self respecting person would have came back to a UCF/Rivals message board. He has no friends.

60 day ban. I’m guessing the Cornholios didn’t want him there either 😂

• Haha
Reactions: KnighttimeJoe

What's your take on baking "tips" into the hotel and restaurant menu prices?

Well since you asked, in my opinion, if it works out better for the folks in hospitality, I'm for it, because yea that industry is underpaid, and they need it... But, I'd like to actually see it in the rates up front when price shopping, not buried as a hidden fee like parking, convenience, business office, and other junk add-ins after inputting all personal and credit card information.

Worse yet, the last time I cruised (before covid), the cruiseline had the nerve to add all typical gratuities as line items on my check out bill with out notification - I had already left cash in the envelopes in my room... I felt sucker punched, but understood the intent. I had them correct the bill before disembarking the ship, and called them lousy tippers. I almost doubled their suggested amounts.

Worse yet, the last time I cruised (before covid), the cruiseline had the nerve to add all typical gratuities as line items on my check out bill with out notification - I had already left cash in the envelopes in my room... I felt sucker punched, but understood the intent.
I assume that must have been your first cruise because charging a daily gratuities fee and adding it to your bill is standard practice for most cruise lines. Nevertheless, my wife always insists on leaving an envelope in our cabin with "something extra" for our room attendant.

Worse yet, the last time I cruised (before covid), the cruiseline had the nerve to add all typical gratuities as line items on my check out bill with out notification - I had already left cash in the envelopes in my room... I felt sucker punched, but understood the intent.
I assume that must have been your first cruise because charging a daily gratuities fee and adding it to your bill is standard practice for most cruise lines. Nevertheless, my wife always insists on leaving an envelope in our cabin with "something extra" for our room attendant.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Deja vu.

Nope, it wasn't always that way, and the 1st time they added to the bill directly without a heads-up, sucked...

And why does the maitre d' get such large gratuity? ...because he wears a maroon jacket and cleans off the table with a butter knife? ...I don't get it.

Deja vu.

Nope, it wasn't always that way, and the 1st time they added to the bill directly without a heads-up, sucked...

And why does the maitre d' get such large gratuity? ...because he wears a maroon jacket and cleans off the table with a butter knife? ...I don't get it.
The maitre d is in charge of all front of house operations of the restaurants and bars as well as room service and buffets. They are responsible for staffing and scheduling. Basically if your experience in these venues was a positive one, your maitre d did his job well. I generally only tip him a fraction of what I tip the waiters since the maitre d does get tips from a broader set of customers.

Reactions: UCFloridaTech
The maitre d is in charge of all front of house operations of the restaurants and bars as well as room service and buffets. They are responsible for staffing and scheduling. Basically if your experience in these venues was a positive one, your maitre d did his job well. I generally only tip him a fraction of what I tip the waiters since the maitre d does get tips from a broader set of customers.
Half kidding... But yea, ours have always been kind and helpful, and you're right, his job is done well in advance of the tail end execution that we see. Good point on the larger customer base for gratuities.

I couldn't live/work on a cruise ship, 5 days and I'm tapped out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT