ADVERTISEMENT

TOOL is a steaming turd

chemmie

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2004
I'm giving this new album a listen. I'm more than 30 minutes in and I'm asleep.

Look, guys. We get it. You make 12 minute songs, your drummer is pretty good, and you've got sophisticated middle-eastern influences. But, please stop playing the same boring song you've been playing continuously for the past 20 years.

ZZZZZzzzzz...

Reactions: UCFWayne
I'm giving this new album a listen. I'm more than 30 minutes in and I'm asleep.

Look, guys. We get it. You make 12 minute songs, your drummer is pretty good, and you've got sophisticated middle-eastern influences. But, please stop playing the same boring song you've been playing continuously for the past 20 years.

ZZZZZzzzzz...
their songs take way to long to get started and the payoff is rarely worth the extremely long build up anymore.

their songs take way to long to get started and the payoff is rarely worth the extremely long build up anymore.

I like Tool, but quite honestly Stinkfist is the only song that I listen to regularly anymore. Partly because of exactly the thing you just said.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I haven't given the new album a listen, but I was just blasting 'Flood' while driving home from the gym this morning. Despite the buildup (4 minutes, 30 seconds), I think it's one of the rare ones that actually does pay off. In fact, I began wondering if there's a way to incorporate that song into a mix of some sort - similar to how EDM songs always give 2-3 minutes of buildup to allow time for a DJ to mix it in.

ETA: Thank you, @chemmie, for a rare non-political thread. MWCGA!!

Last edited:
I don't hate Tool, but I never got into them. The songs have never really grabbed me. Very few bands can play songs not in 4/4 and make it listenable for an extended period. Like Dream Theater, they are talented musicians but, they can be a chore to listen to.

I don't hate Tool, but I never got into them. The songs have never really grabbed me. Very few bands can play songs not in 4/4 and make it listenable for an extended period. Like Dream Theater, they are talented musicians but, they can be a chore to listen to.

I just listened to "pull me under" a couple of days ago. Still impressed with their technical prowess but damn, they just make their songs too complicated.

Hey look I agree with Chemmie on something

One of the songs is literally 8 minutes of the breakdown in “schism” remade as a full song

They’re trying to out think themselves. Having 6 time signatures over one riff for 5 minutes doesn’t make it better

I love the new album. But I also think Lateralus is their best album and this one reminds me of that.

Pneuma and Invincible IMO are fantastic. They got a little heavy with the instrumentation in some of the songs but I love the slow burn mellowness of it all.

Reactions: beelit47
I love the new album. But I also think Lateralus is their best album and this one reminds me of that.

Pneuma and Invincible IMO are fantastic. They got a little heavy with the instrumentation in some of the songs but I love the slow burn mellowness of it all.

This album would have been pretty good if it was basically an extension of the 10,000 Days sound/concept and released a year or two after. This is what it sounds like to me. It doesn't sound like something that reflects 13 years in the making. The one thing Tool used to never do was engage in boring song writing but they did here and it's unfortunate.

This album sounds like something a really good Tool cover band would make using "Tool By Numbers" instead of something brand new that took over a decade.

Some things are best left in their generation. When I think of Tool I go back to a simpler time in the 90s which for me was high school. Stinkfist, 46&2, Lateralus, Sober all great songs that I had to load the cd into a six-cd changer in my car to listen to. Today’s generation is all about instant gratification and long build ups to songs dont cut it...and thats ok. It is what it is. Now that I think of it, a 9 minute Lateralus might be a good way for me to ease into some sleep with this bullshit anxiety i live with.

has anyone taken the tool songs and edited them down and cut out most of the long slow build ups? i would be interested in getting that. even for some of the older albums too.

also, passenger by deftones features maynard. its worth checking out if you werent aware.

Reactions: EweSeaEff
has anyone taken the tool songs and edited them down and cut out most of the long slow build ups? i would be interested in getting that. even for some of the older albums too.

also, passenger by deftones features maynard. its worth checking out if you werent aware.

If you’re going to do that, just go listen to Limp Bizkit re-runs with the other mouth breathers lol. For real though, it’s just their style especially since Lateralus.

And Deftones White Pony might be one of my top 5 albums of all time.

Last edited:
If you’re going to do that, just go listen to Limp Bizkit re-runs with the other mouth breathers lol. For real though, it’s just their style especially since Lateralus.

And Deftones White Pony might be one of my top 5 albums of all time.
im ok with slow build up, but not every damn song.

It's like the exercise of going through an NFL game and calculating exactly how much time there is on actual action vs. the length of the game (i.e., 12 minutes 8 seconds vs. approx. 3 hours).

i've never listened to an album that felt like the band was continuously patting itself on the back the whole time until this one.

they have become Meshuggah for Dummies

Reactions: DaddyBoi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT