ADVERTISEMENT

Top Tier Gas

1ofTheseKnights

Todd's Tiki Bar
Oct 19, 2006
Top Tier Gas - what do the cooler folk say? Total BS? Completely indifferent?
"

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Seven of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda,Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.
"

I sort of buy it because I've read people I respect somewhat endorse it (Car Talk brothers), but mainly have been pretty much exclusive with Shell since moving & having Winn Dikc-me (Fuel Perks) be my main grocer (for non Sam's things) & there's a Shell close by.

Last edited:
Just marketing mostly I'm sure. But either way, I think most of the major companies qualify anyway.

If I can get top-tier for the same or maybe a few pennies more, I do it. Costco actually has the best gas, with 5x the EPA minimum amount of additives. The other top tier players can't even touch that. Other than that, the non-top tier gas is ok too, but subject to more carbon buildup. If you've got a little Japanese car that isn't prone to buildup and runs nice and clean, no problem. If you've got a sludge bucket like those German cars in the OP, then you need to be more diligent about what gas. It's also more important to get the gas from a station that sells a lot of product and NEVER get gas during or 30 minutes after a delivery when all the water and crap is mixed in off the bottom

Advanced Auto Parts has the gumout complete fuel system cleaner on sale for $3.99. You can throw one of those in the tank every few thousand or so, will clean things up too. Techron is the same thing, just twice as much.​

If I can get top-tier for the same or maybe a few pennies more, I do it. Costco actually has the best gas, with 5x the EPA minimum amount of additives. The other top tier players can't even touch that. Other than that, the non-top tier gas is ok too, but subject to more carbon buildup. If you've got a little Japanese car that isn't prone to buildup and runs nice and clean, no problem. If you've got a sludge bucket like those German cars in the OP, then you need to be more diligent about what gas. It's also more important to get the gas from a station that sells a lot of product and NEVER get gas during or 30 minutes after a delivery when all the water and crap is mixed in off the bottom

Advanced Auto Parts has the gumout complete fuel system cleaner on sale for $3.99. You can throw one of those in the tank every few thousand or so, will clean things up too. Techron is the same thing, just twice as much.​

It sure is easy to dupe you. BUY GOLD!! BUY GUMOUT!!!

All that crap is BS. I've driven probably 4-500,000 miles so far in my life. I've never bought any of that stupid shit or worried about what special marketing the gas station has and I have never had one single problem with my fuel system. We have 4 crane trucks and a few pick ups trucks at work that run between 30-50,000 miles a year and don't do the gimmicks and never have problems with the fuel system. You're all being duped.

^^ Stick to hunting woodpeckers and drinking shine.

Do you wash your clothing without soap? Do they get clean? If you put a little bit of soap in, does it get a little bit clean? If you put a good shot of soap in, do your spank stains start to come out of your superman underwear? [jumpingsmile] You see where I'm going with this? Just because your engine doesn't shit the bed doesn't mean it's running at peak efficiency.

That said, I wouldn't pay more than a few cents for top-tier, but it is something I'm aware of. If I've got a choice of Mobil and Cumberland Farms for the same $$$, I go with Mobil every time. Now does my local mobil actually source Mobil gas with the mobil additive package? That's another story. Possible that the mobil gas doesn't have the add-pack, and is exactly the same as the cumberland farms gas. The details get a little dicey how this all works, as the gas itself is essentially all the same (with minimum EPA additives).

Costco on the other hand, mixes in their add-pack ON SITE at time of delivery. Either manually, if they haven't installed the automated system yet. The newer stations have the automated system.

Yeah I didn't notice til gasbuddy put their Top Tier things & seen a few threads on different sites. I would ignore completely if not for fuel reward network & fuel perks from winn dikcme - makes Shell (Top Tier) cheapest by a dime per gallon for me. More importantly it's close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT