ADVERTISEMENT

Torchy Clark would be proud!.....rest in peace

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
The last time UCF was in the final 4 was division II I believe...when Torchy was coaching.

Man, if he could only see what he helped build!

BTW: Why did they take the picture of Torchy clark down at the CFE Area?

They used to have it on the East side of the arena near the concession stand they they never open. :-(

BTW: Why did they take the picture of Torchy clark down at the CFE Area?
They used to have it on the East side of the arena near the concession stand they they never open. :-(
Likely a decision to focus on the present. UCF never beat anyone good until this decade. Never had an NBA regular (Jermaine barely got a look-see and the only guy ever drafted). The four NCAA appearances were all as one-and-done automatic qualifiers. I'm ancient enough to recall MLB putting asterisks on Maris' 61 homers and reluctance to celebrate Aaron's career record. That's what lost baseball it's "national pasttime" preoccupation. You can't get their when a program is looking back, especially to long ago Div. II success in football and basketball. At least the championship banners are still up. I'll bet that picture is still around. UCF needs showcases and wall space to honor past teams!

Jackie Robinson was a football star for UCLA years before he ever played baseball in Central Florida or broke the MLB "color barrier" with the Dodgers. But his Rose Bowl exploits were only 25 years ago when I got to UCLA (not 40 year ago, at Div. II level, for a university with a different name and one-eighth the FTE enrollment). Jackie was already in the Hall of Fame at Cooperstown, but UCLA hardly mentioned him. Why? Because UCLA, then 20 years younger than UCF is today, focused only forward toward future greatness, including in sports. All our sports achievements began in the past with the opening of the stadium and arena, winning conference championships, getting ranked, winning bowls, beating powerhouse name programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT