ADVERTISEMENT

Tre’quan Smith & Mike Hughes decision

I was thinking of that myself - I bet he destroys those cone drills they do. Beyond the athleticism, he may be the best pure football player I've seen at UCF. I feel like you could have thrown him on any college football team this year at any skill position and he could hold his own within a couple weeks. Tough player and always gave max effort (remember how he chased down that player running free for a TD from beyond Austin Peay game and nearly injured himself?). High football IQ. Elite athlete. And a UCF legend. Not betting against him in the NFL.
I have never seen a more fluid, smart and confident punt and kickoff returner at UCF. I never felt like he would ever fumble or muff a kick. He always made the right decision
as well as far as which kicks to return

I have never seen a more fluid, smart and confident punt and kickoff returner at UCF. I never felt like he would ever fumble or muff a kick. He always made the right decision
as well as far as which kicks to return

You're right. Never felt as comfortable about a returner both protecting the football and yet also being explosive enough to return one for a TD. We will miss that when he's gone.

Reactions: Mikesi
I don't know why they wouldn't go pro now if thier draft grades are good. What more do they have to accomplish here? They already won a national championship
I think our grade of Smith is higher than NFL. 2 or 3 receivers in AAC alone are projected 1st round. I think Smith is 5th or 6th round. He could improve his stock by coming back.

I think tre'quan could stay knowing that Heupel loves to air out the ball with a deep threat receiver. Tre'quan could put up sick numbers next year.

I think our grade of Smith is higher than NFL. 2 or 3 receivers in AAC alone are projected 1st round. I think Smith is 5th or 6th round. He could improve his stock by coming back.
I know Miller (Memphis) and Sutton (Smu) are rated higher

Reactions: JAFFX2
Yes Hester played receiver and CB but not well enough for NFL. A lot of guys it's the same. They don't want to waste a roster spot for a guy that will play in 6 plays during a game. Plus in NFL they can kick through endzone most of the time and the punters can angle it out of bounds. I'm not saying Hughes isn't good enough. Just addressing his size. His speed will move him up boards.

Yo do realize Devin Hester had a 10 year NFL career, and will PROBABLY go into the HOF as a returner, right? I'd beg to differ the at Hester "didn't play well enough". You don't think a 10-year potential HOF is worthy enough?

Yo do realize Devin Hester had a 10 year NFL career, and will PROBABLY go into the HOF as a returner, right? I'd beg to differ the at Hester "didn't play well enough". You don't think a 10-year potential HOF is worthy enough?
It was the lone example of a player doing it. That's why I mentioned him. Most others last 2 years or less. Joe Burnett anyone? Quincey MacDuffy?

1st round? Which site?

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018mhughes.php

The above states that some could take him in 1st based on team needs. Former Knight, Asante Samuel, tweeted earlier this week that teams would be crazy not to take him in the 1st. I know, I know, he's a UCF homer and I'm a Hughes homer, take it as you wish. I'm not saying he's worth a 1st round pick, I'm obviously not a scout but the lack of CB depth obviously helps him and he's not your usual CB. The kid, albeit on the shorter side, will press the hell out of you and is not scared to tackle, which is a breath of fresh air nowadays for corners both in college and the NFL.

I expect him to enter the draft, if/when that happens I think you'll see him in the 2nd/3rd round mock drafts.

Below has him as the 49th pick to the Jets.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018_2.php

The above states that some could take him in 1st based on team needs. Former Knight, Asante Samuel, tweeted earlier this week that teams would be crazy not to take him in the 1st. I know, I know, he's a UCF homer and I'm a Hughes homer, take it as you wish. I'm not saying he's worth a 1st round pick, I'm obviously not a scout but the lack of CB depth obviously helps him and he's not your usual CB. The kid, albeit on the shorter side, will press the hell out of you and is not scared to tackle, which is a breath of fresh air nowadays for corners both in college and the NFL.

I expect him to enter the draft, if/when that happens I think you'll see him in the 2nd/3rd round mock drafts.

I think 2nd/early 3rd grade seems about right for now with a chance of improving that with timed speed. The intangibles and tape will jump out to teams as well when they dig into him. Ability to help immediately on special teams is a plus and gives him a lower potential bust rating. Could see some NFL front offices falling in love with his game like we all did.

If he decides to declare, his 40 time alone may wow some team to take him very high, Maybe a late 1st rounder. However, just due to his inexperience and size, he may be more of a 2nd-4th rounder. He’s fairly similar to Josh Robinson in size and speed. He’s probably better, but he hasn’t played that many games and that may scare some away

Both should be gone. Trequan's last game may have seem cautious but thats because he was dropping passes early. Whatever momentum they gained was hesitated by not wanting to force it and cause mistakes. I mean he delivered on his end of KZs passes over two defenders. Second half was typical Trequan just like the 2nd half was typical UCF.

I dont know if the NFL cares about how opposing coaches plan's against Hughes is neglecting him, but he has enough highlights special teams and defense to be looked at. Missing that tackle in the backfield probably isnt that big of deal as being able to make it there in the first place. His insistence receiving that short kickoff return showed his desire to be part of history.

T'Smith should get drafted alone just for his down field blocking. He had a great block to allow Milton in for the Peach. Of course, his catching skills are well known. Hope he stays one more year. We need him.

Reactions: Wings0fred
T'Smith should get drafted alone just for his down field blocking. He had a great block to allow Milton in for the Peach. Of course, his catching skills are well known. Hope he stays one more year. We need him.
If he stays it can ease the transition for MM as he transitions from the Frost to Heupel system.
I dont see him playing under three different coaching systems in college. He doesnt really need to.

If he decides to declare, his 40 time alone may wow some team to take him very high, Maybe a late 1st rounder. However, just due to his inexperience and size, he may be more of a 2nd-4th rounder. He’s fairly similar to Josh Robinson in size and speed. He’s probably better, but he hasn’t played that many games and that may scare some away

Scouts can look at his tape at UNC, JUCO last year and this year, plenty to see, IMO.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
If I had to put money on it, I would say they are gone. Trequan has to share the ball with so many guys and Hughes had so many big moments this year, would be hard to top that next year.

They probably have agents testing the market right now before they make a decision.

Asante isn't a UCF homer... he's repeatedly tried to distance himself since he graduated and used to say his high school in NFL pregame intros.

He could've steered his son to UCF vs FSU but that's the problem we have... don't get a lot of alums family members.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Asante isn't a UCF homer... he's repeatedly tried to distance himself since he graduated and used to say his high school in NFL pregame intros.

He could've steered his son to UCF vs FSU but that's the problem we have... don't get a lot of alums family members.

Didn't know that, guess that makes my point even more.

Agree! Very big part of our success on big plays was #4 blocking people.

Josh Reese is another name that comes to mind for excellent blocking and clutch plays.
Steelers draft becausebof that. Hines Ward and JuJu Smith-Schuster are really good examples.

Hughes is fast. I’ve been saying for months
4.3. When all is said and done I have said that Hughes and Killins are about the same speed or close to it. When their final 40 yard times are compared in 2 years, I want to see if I’m correct. I’ll eat crow if I’m not, but I’ll wait.

LIke you ate crow when Frost left?

That line has been spent, chief.

Don’t be a douchebag. I thought you checked out forever because you were all butthurt and a whiny girl that had your post deleted by the moderator. Decided to come back to be an A__hole?

Last edited:

Frost coached UCF in 2018. Learn to read

Additionally, when did I say I was going to eat crow for anything else? Is that your take on things? Please find that post.

Last edited:
MIke you were ranting up and down about how Frost was positively going to stay. And yet when all was said and done, you huddle away from that proclamation. I'm not going to filter through a thousand posts for it, but every poster who follows this board saw it.

Be a man and own up to it and stop with the "Ill eat crow" shit.

MIke you were ranting up and down about how Frost was positively going to stay. And yet when all was said and done, you huddle away from that proclamation. I'm not going to filter through a thousand posts for it, but every poster who follows this board saw it.

Be a man and own up to it and stop with the "Ill eat crow" shit.
I thought you were saying goodbye to everyone and Brandon as being a loyal poster on a free rivals football internet board for 15 years and were never coming back?

Please explain that first

Sorry but I have to interject as I abhore folks who can't stand up and admit their false posts (Prof with his Tacko to the NBA rant).

I have nothing against you and
enjoy your enthusiasm but stop stating you'll "eat crow" when clearly you didn't man up to your first prediction.

Now you're going on crow #2.

Explain that.

Sorry but I have to interject as I abhore folks who can't stand up and admit their false posts (Prof with his Tacko to the NBA rant).

I have nothing against you and
enjoy your enthusiasm but stop stating you'll "eat crow" when clearly you didn't man up to your first prediction.

Now you're going on crow #2.

Explain that.
Explain why you are back when you said that you were done. I don’t need to explain anything to ghosts, especially since now I know it’s bothering you so much

I can post whenever the F I want
to... UCF grad 2000. Was/is tired of the moronic posters.

Happy?

Where's your crow eating, Mr. Expert?

...when are you going to own up to your "inside coaching lock"? We're going on 4 weeks now. I certainly woulda created a thread on itself eating it espeacially how hard you pushed it, but I guess swallowing that pride is too much for you.

Again, stop with your eating crow comments bc it olds zip at this point.

I can post whenever the F I want
to... UCF grad 2000. Was/is tired of the moronic posters.

Happy?

Where's your crow eating, Mr. Expert?

...when are you going to own up to your "inside coaching lock"? We're going on 4 weeks now. I certainly woulda created a thread on itself eating it espeacially how hard you pushed it, but I guess swallowing that pride is too much for you.

Again, stop with your eating crow comments bc it olds zip at this point.
Oh geez. Please ban this loser. What does any of this have to do with UCF football? Sounds like you’re having a complete meltdown that we lost a coach. You do realize that we went 13-0 and were undefeated right? When did I say I was going to eat crow and why do I owe you anything? You’re actually acting all psychotic now and are as bad or worse than the Nebraska trolls.

So.., posters like myself, Lemmy, ucfversusbcs, etc, stick around to go toe to toe with the Nebraska Trolls and attempt to defend our turf for weeks, while the mentally weak like yourself check out forever, start a thread to announce it and crawl up in a fetal position and hide cowardly under a rock. Some posters were annoyed and just didn’t participate, but didn’t announce that they were checking out for good. That’s fine. You had to be the little spoiled brat looking for attention and sympathy.

Now I owe you something upon this dubious return. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way. Sometimes you don’t always get what you want so deal with it.

Go away again. Nobody missed you

I’m done with you. Start a new thread again on this topic since you ruined this one by straying off the topic to prove an irrelevant point. Make sure you include the dozen other posters including the Knightline Podcast team, etc., who thought Frost was coming back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Still haven't heard about Hughes. If by some miracle he returns to UCF I'm upgrading us from favorite to win the AAC in 2018 to heavy favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT