ADVERTISEMENT

UCF’s Gus Malzahn on Knights QB battle: ‘As even as it can get’

“In my experience with quarterbacks, naming [a starter], setting a date and all of that, it’s really tough,” Malzahn said. “Usually there’s a time in fall camp that something happens where everyone on the team knows who the starting quarterback is and a lot of the times the coach doesn’t even have to say anything.

“So we’re hoping that happens,” Malzahn added.

“In my experience with quarterbacks, naming [a starter], setting a date and all of that, it’s really tough,” Malzahn said. “Usually there’s a time in fall camp that something happens where everyone on the team knows who the starting quarterback is and a lot of the times the coach doesn’t even have to say anything.

“So we’re hoping that happens,” Malzahn added.
I’m hoping this is coach speak and he’s just not wanting to name JRP the starter so early on.

If true then we didn’t get the right transfer.
Last time Plumlee was starting a game as QB was November of 2019. That's not unlike Milton having a gap between 2018 to 2021. Of course Milton had the injury, but Milton was a better QB and always had a QB mindset.

Plumlee in 2020 switch to mostly just running the ball, then in 2021 mostly as a a receiver, and now in 2022 playing catch up to being a QB again.

Keene has the advantage of running the system for an entire season as well. There's something to that regardless of athletic prowess.

I believe just the opposite. It's very possible Mikey makes a big jump in his second year. I think we have 2 Qbs that can start and win games.
Inconceivable. Everyone knows that Mikey Keene will never advance from the true freshman who was thrown into the fire and only asked to do a few things. The only possible interpretation of CGM’s comments is the one that feeds the ever burning flame of despair.

Reactions: Wings0fred
Last time Plumlee was starting a game as QB was November of 2019. That's not unlike Milton having a gap between 2018 to 2021. Of course Milton had the injury, but Milton was a better QB and always had a QB mindset.

Plumlee in 2020 switch to mostly just running the ball, then in 2021 mostly as a a receiver, and now in 2022 playing catch up to being a QB again.
Agree with what you wrote, and the 2019 version of Plumlee wasn’t anything to get excited about other than being an incredible runner.

It is unfortunate that the most important position on the field is our biggest question mark.....

At least our depth at the position will be better than the collective groan we heard when Gatewood was inserted.

Inconceivable. Everyone knows that Mikey Keene will never advance from the true freshman who was thrown into the fire and only asked to do a few things. The only possible interpretation of CGM’s comments is the one that feeds the ever burning flame of despair.
LOL, the usf forum is down in the basement with guys muttering about their staplers

I was pretty tough on Keene’s shortcomings the last half of the year, but he certainly has room for improvement, even if his ceiling is low. So I’m in the wait and see camp.

It's interesting to see journalist Qb rankings. UCF is way down on the list. It's the unknowns and no flashy Qb. It's a different for us UCF fans, we've had some great Qb play in the past. I think we as fans just to need to adjust to that. The freshman T.C. prob getting looks also. I like how Gus defines the Qb race as a team decision. A natural leader will emerge. I also think we really are going to see a conservative run first offense with big plays intermixed. I think Gus is cooking up a winning offense for us. Proof is in the pudding of course and we just gotta wait and see this play out.

Reactions: tjb74
It's interesting to see journalist Qb rankings. UCF is way down on the list. It's the unknowns and no flashy Qb. It's a different for us UCF fans, we've had some great Qb play in the past. I think we as fans just to need to adjust to that. The freshman T.C. prob getting looks also. I like how Gus defines the Qb race as a team decision. A natural leader will emerge. I also think we really are going to see a conservative run first offense with big plays intermixed. I think Gus is cooking up a winning offense for us. Proof is in the pudding of course and we just gotta wait and see this play out.
I don’t mind TC getting some playing time as part of his development. It would be disappointing if the starting QB is a true freshman for the second year in a row. But then again maybe this season turns out to prepare players for our first season in the Big 12. Can't wait for this to get started. What is the first day of fall camp?

I think next week is start of practice, but don't know.

I do know NFL preseason starts next week. Jags vs da Raiders, Thursday Aug 4th.

Football season nears!

Exactly my thoughts. JRP fits the system best, but also dont want mikey in the portal before the season as he is a serviceable backup
They both have different strengths.

Mikey is more strategic, better thrower,knows system better.

JRP is an elite athlete, can run a 4.3-4.4, and make freak plays.

They can both win, and both bring something different to the table.

To me, the battle isn't about who's better or worse. It's about what flavor of QB you want.

They both have different strengths.

Mikey is more strategic, better thrower,knows system better.

JRP is the better athlete, can run faster, and make freak plays.

They can both win, and both bring something different to the table.
I agree with most of this except better thrower. Keene would have a madden rating of 34 for throwing power. Is he accurate? Sure. But it still takes him 3 minutes to windup and throw a slow pitch softball at his receiver.

I agree with most of this except better thrower. Keene would have a madden rating of 34 for throwing power. Is he accurate? Sure. But it still takes him 3 minutes to windup and throw a slow pitch softball at his receiver.
I agree. JRP is faster in all regards, he is a freak athlete, JRP is a gym rat kind of guy.

But my understanding is that Keene is a little better at QB skills. Maybe I'm wrong though.

They will both excel at different situations. If we want QB runs, obviously I want JRP in there. If we want someone to sit in the pocket and throw the accurate pass, I want Keene. Idk which one is better in terms of maximizing the chance of winning.

I think that needs to be determined based on the opponent and situation at hand.

I agree. JRP is faster in all regards, he is a freak athlete, JRP is a gym rat kind of guy.

But my understanding is that Keene is a little better at QB skills. Maybe I'm wrong though.

They will both excel at different situations. If we want QB runs, obviously I want JRP in there. If we want someone to sit in the pocket and throw the accurate pass, I want Keene. Idk which one is better in terms of maximizing the chance of winning.

I think that needs to be determined based on the opponent and situation at hand.
I dont think JRP has truly had a chance to showcase his throwing ability. He played one season and then matt corral stepped in. With that said, MK cannot throw. I may draw some hate for that statement but the dude has a noodle arm and throws every pass out of bounds at the first sign of pressure. Defenses can stack a box to stuff the run knowing that Mk cannot hurt them passing or running.

JRP on the other hand commands a spy at LB and if teams stack box he will have 1-1 cvg. JMHO

Reactions: U C to the F
I dont think JRP has truly had a chance to showcase his throwing ability. He played one season and then matt corral stepped in. With that said, MK cannot throw. I may draw some hate for that statement but the dude has a noodle arm and throws every pass out of bounds at the first sign of pressure. Defenses can stack a box to stuff the run knowing that Mk cannot hurt them passing or running.

JRP on the other hand commands a spy at LB and if teams stack box he will have 1-1 cvg. JMHO
Way too harsh on Keene....threw 17 TDs last year vs 4 in the same number of games for Plumlee......I'm not a Keene guy, but give him at least the credit he deserves for keeping the wheels on the bus.

While I'm in the wait and see camp, it was painful to watch transfer after transfer go to not-UCF that would have been an instant upgrade. Even usf kicked our ass on that.

Reactions: ReturnOf

You've got valid points.

But JRP has played in several scrimmages for UCF, the coaching staff has a good idea of what he can do.

The coaching staff has repeatedly talked about new players *meshing* with current players. I think that may be the issue for JRP they are talking about.

For me, I pick JRP even if he isn't as well acclimated or if he's close a passer as Keene bc of his athletic abilities. But it also matters how the skill players feel. If they have more trust in Keene, I'm going to trust my players and go with Keene.

If I'm the coach, I go with what my players feel.

Keene advantage: Thrown to the wolves and salvaged his season. Seems humble. He trended better than Milton his first year. Performed excellently in spring game.

Plumlee advantage: Versatility at position, "been there, know what it entails". Seems like a good "plug in" for Malzahn's system. Good on feet. Performed excellently in spring game.

BOTH need to commit to decision faster. I believe they will. They both have great highlights...and some mistakes that are interesting.

Reactions: Drew-C-F and PhDee

Sit in the pocket or roll right and throw OOB? 😂

Reactions: beelit47

Yes…yes you certainly will.

People love to compare him to KZ’s freshman year even though you could see KZ’s potential (and not his), he was a true freshman, Gus didn’t let him do this or that, etc etc etc, excuse after excuse. I sat in the stadium man, everyone around me was frustrated with how inept he was and I stayed quiet. How in the world could we be left with a true freshman as a backup? No reason to go to Arizona to give this guy a scholarship, there’s plenty of QB’s in FL better than him. I blame Heupel, not the William and Mary level qb.

Sure to get a lot of hate as always, but let’s keep it real fellas.

Last edited:
Reactions: beelit47

People love to compare him to KZ’s freshman year even though you could see KZ’s potential (and not his), he was a true freshman, Gus didn’t let him do this or that, etc etc etc, excuse after excuse. I sat in the stadium man, everyone around me was frustrated with how inept he was and I stayed quiet. How in the world could we be left with a true freshman as a backup? No reason to go to Arizona to give this guy a scholarship, there’s plenty of QB’s in FL better than him. I blame Heupel, not the William and Mary level qb.

Youre not wrong. His ceiling is a game manager qb which is a good thing to have for a backup. With KZ you could sense his breakout in 2017.

I don’t think it was Heupel directly but he signed off on it. Someone had to have a side piece in Arizona and didn’t want to leave her side much. I think we got 3 guys from Arizona. None of them are great yet.

Need to bring back Troy Green. He should be physically matured by now, and I think it is likely he has some eligibility left.

Reactions: Shark19
Good bulletin board material for our QB room. Playing with a chip is a good start. Personally, I think JRP will be the top dual threat QB in the conference. If his throwing is as accurate as in the Spring, he'll be one of the top 3 QB's. And as Mikey builds up his fearlessness, he won't be far behind.

Basically, (and, just my opinion), with UCF clown-car-of-talent this year, whoever the Qb is, will only need to get it into the playmakers hands as painstakingly easy as they can. Fast paced, option offense. I think the most efficient, mistake free Qb, will win the starting job. If I was Gus I would just come out and say everyone is Qb1 and let the other team figure out who is playing. Having a mega-star Qb would be nice, but the word 'serviceable' has been used a lot with Mickey Keene. Having a smart qb, read the defense quickly, put ball in the hands of the Clown-Car-of-Talent (gawd I love this term). It's probably why J-flash left the team. Throwing the long bombs frequently like in Heupel's offense won't happen very often and downfield blocking is essential in Gus's O.

Older article but good explanation of what Gus Offense wants to be:

Reactions: sk8knight
Sorry, link ain't working. Bleacher Report google it if want to read it. Good article.

Inside the Auburn Offense: Why Gus Malzahn's System Works, and Works So Fast​

BRANDON OLIVERNOVEMBER 21, 2013

first few paragraphs.

Gus Malzahn is either the luckiest football coach alive or the brightest offensive mind of his generation. Everywhere he has been, he has created an offense for the ages. His latest creation is on familiar turf.

Auburn's first-year head coach might not have Cam Newton this time around, but he has a powerful offense that is tearing through SEC defenses. The Tigers are doing so with a relentless ground game that utilizes all of its weapons and dares the defense to try and stop it.

The other thing Malzahn does have is Nick Marshall, another junior college transfer at quarterback, who has rapidly become a mature and dependable leader for the No. 6 Tigers. In his first conference game as a starter in the SEC, Marshall led the Tigers down the field with both his feet and his arm. He tossed a beautiful touchdown pass to tight end C.J. Uzomah in the corner of the end zone with 21 seconds remaining to defeat Mississippi State.

Need to bring back Troy Green. He should be physically matured by now, and I think it is likely he has some eligibility left.
Well they are making Harry Potter spinoffs.....

Blake was real fortunate Green didn't take his position....

Basically, (and, just my opinion), with UCF clown-car-of-talent this year, whoever the Qb is, will only need to get it into the playmakers hands as painstakingly easy as they can. Fast paced, option offense. I think the most efficient, mistake free Qb, will win the starting job. If I was Gus I would just come out and say everyone is Qb1 and let the other team figure out who is playing. Having a mega-star Qb would be nice, but the word 'serviceable' has been used a lot with Mickey Keene. Having a smart qb, read the defense quickly, put ball in the hands of the Clown-Car-of-Talent (gawd I love this term). It's probably why J-flash left the team. Throwing the long bombs frequently like in Heupel's offense won't happen very often and downfield blocking is essential in Gus's O.

Older article but good explanation of what Gus Offense wants to be:

I would say the sooner the team rallys arounds either Keene or Plumlee the better chance they have to succeed. Both of them have very different skill sets and their approaches to the game will be different.

Don't see how the team can practice effectively for Louisville if they are unsure if the QB will be a game manager or a QB that is more likely to scramble and make plays with his legs.

I was one of those that didn’t think people were giving Keene enough time to make freshman mistakes, but I lost faith in him over the season. As others have noted, there were few flashes of potential, even when accounting for the difficult situation.

Keene paying off feels like a game when you have a projected 30% chance of winning. He’s not a bust yet, but you need to see something big happen soon.

It’s possible he fixed his poor mechanics and Footsteps Falco impression in the off-season. I’m not betting against it, but definitely not betting on it.

It was a much different system and the teams were in much different situations with very different expectations. None of us know the plays that were called for Mikey nor what he was instructed to do so to say that his ceiling is set at this moment is an opinion based on a lot of ignorance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT