ADVERTISEMENT

UCF acknowledges LSU's speed, but fast Knights still believe they are quicker Fiesta Bowl team

tbird85

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2009
UCF running back Adrian Killins often surprises people with his speed on the football field.

But one year ago, it was Killins’ comments about speed that caused eyes to widen.

In the lead-up to the Peach Bowl versus Auburn, Killins didn’t hesitate when he told the Orlando Sentinel, “SEC football, they don’t have a lot of speed, honestly. Auburn hasn’t seen any speed like we have here, so I would say they are in for a rude awakening.”

So here we are again. The Knights are preparing for yet another New Year’s Day bowl matchup against yet another SEC opponent. But this time around, Killins was much more measured while talking about the opposition’s speed.

He said LSU has “a fast-paced defense. They are very energetic and they fly around to the ball. … They've got a lot of guys flying around on film.”

Wide receiver Tre Nixon was not yet a Knight when he read Killins’ 2017 hot take.

“I remember that article,” he said this week. “... The thing is, the SEC is fast. They [LSU] are fast. I give them their credit where credit is due. But this team is really fast, too. We have a lot of playmakers.”

Nixon can give valid comparisons because he has lived life in both conferences. He spent 2016 and 2017 at Ole Miss before transferring to UCF this spring. He said his time as a Rebel definitely prepared him for what he will face lining up against the LSU defense during the Fiesta Bowl. But he said he has already seen much of the same this season in the American Athletic Conference.

“To be honest, there really isn't a difference,” Nixon said. “Going from playing at Ole Miss to coming to play with this team, everybody here has a lot of speed. The DBs, same speed, same strength. There really is not much of a difference.”

The Knights’ defensive backs will have to deal with more than just fantastic speed from LSU’s wideouts. As defensive line coach Shane Burnham said, “Their receivers look like tight ends.”

A mixture of size, speed, length and athleticism helps the Tigers create mismatches out wide against almost every opponent. But secondary coach Willie Martinez said his defensive backs already get a good primer for a high level of competition during each practice.

“We think we go against some pretty good wide receivers every day,” he said. “We’ve got the tall guys. We've got the small guys, the medium guys, the quick guys, that change of direction.

“Being able to practice against those guys each and every day since we've been here allows us to be ready and prepared for the teams that we play each and every Saturday. Or in this case, in this game that we're playing on Jan. 1.”

No. 8 UCF will look to extend the nation’s longest win streak when it lines up against No. 11 LSU. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. Eastern time and will air on ESPN.

The Knights will once again get a shot to prove that they can withstand, match and excel against whatever comes their way from an SEC power.

And in one area — speed — the Knights still believe, yes, UCF has an edge there.

“They've got some linebackers that can really run. I think it's going to be a good matchup against our backs and guys that, when we get in space, we're going to see who's faster,” offensive tackle Wyatt Miller said. “I think we have the upper hand in that one, but we'll see.”
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...wl/os-sp-ucf-fiesta-bowl-news-1224-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News