ADVERTISEMENT

UCF and AAU

PositYourself

Bronze Knight
Dec 28, 2021
Can someone shed some light on this classification and where UCF stands in regards to achieving this? I don't know much about it.

that's for the next generation to worry about. you don't want to end up like delusional USF fans thinking they're next man up.

Was curious, so looked up 1 'indicator' for membership- specific funding for specific research, usf is 65th with at least double the funding UCF (123rd) get. Cinci tho is ranked higher, and UAB a highly respected medical Uni is much higher- 38th. So, for this one indicator, we've got a ton to go-- need to steal some from UF- 23rd

Washington is 8th so you can see why they're waiting for a call.....

Fun fact last is 697 Western CT St. U- with $155.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Was curious, so looked up 1 'indicator' for membership- specific funding for specific research, usf is 65th with at least double the funding UCF (123rd) get. Cinci tho is ranked higher, and UAB a highly respected medical Uni is much higher- 38th. So, for this one indicator, we've got a ton to go-- need to steal some from UF- 23rd

Washington is 8th so you can see why they're waiting for a call.....

Fun fact last is 697 Western CT St. U- with $155.
Is the Bullspen doing the crowd funding at Western Conn St U for that $155?

But really, what can you research for $155 anyway?

I agree it will take a long time but that doesnt mean we should pursue it. Cartwright et al need to be pushing hard to bring in researchers who already have success with big grants. I imagine engineering is the best we have so maybe they could target researchers for the medical school?

Can someone shed some light on this classification and where UCF stands in regards to achieving this? I don't know much about it.
First you need the top research professors. Then you need the grants, endowments and donations. Next you need patents for royalties. Also a lot have alumni in prestigious positions in the business and research world help. If you build all of this up it still comes down to being a club and you have to be invited. So it usually takes lots of time but USF is doing a better job that us so far. Anyway that is my take.

First you need the top research professors. Then you need the grants, endowments and donations. Next you need patents for royalties. Also a lot have alumni in prestigious positions in the business and research world help. If you build all of this up it still comes down to being a club and you have to be invited. So it usually takes lots of time but USF is doing a better job that us so far. Anyway that is my take.
Agree 100%

AAU member schools are recognized as outstanding Research Universities in the US and Canada (The University of Toronto and McGill University are AAU Canadian schools).

The SEC and B1G may be equivalent (opinions vary) on which is the best football conference.

However, when comparing AAU Research Universities the B1G is the leader when expanded to 16 Conference Schools (UCLA and USC) with Nebraska being the only school not an AAU member.

The SEC when expanded to 16 Conference Schools (Texas and Oklahoma) will have 4 AAU Universities (Texas, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt and the University of Florida).

The 15 member ACC Conference has 5 AAU Universities (Georgia Tech, University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, Duke University and the University of Pittsburgh).

Kansas is an AAU University.

When comparing money brought in via Football Revenue (ESPN/FOX) compared to outside sources of sponsored Research, Research wins.

Pitt brings in about $1.0 billion per year in sponsored research.

If you are an AAU University you have to maintain its membership criteria.

Recent school who are no longer AAU members include Nebraska, Iowa State and Syracuse.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT