UCF converges on Newport for American Media Days - Recap & Heupel quotes

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
chvw8jrtfwnbciateuq0

The seaside town of Newport, Rhode Island serves as the annual backdrop for the American Athletic Conference Media Days, which formally kicked off on Monday.

The first-day schedule included media visits with ESPN and concluded with the famous clambake.

Recognizing their first five years as a conference, the American also announced their fifth-year anniversary team, which included five representatives from UCF: Tight end Jordan Akins, linebacker Shaquem Griffin, safety Clayton Geathers and cornerbacks Jacoby Glenn and Mike Hughes.

Like the rest of the league's head coaches, UCF's Josh Heupel joined ESPN's Matt Schick and Matt Chatham during the late afternoon to talk about the preparation heading into his first season.

Describing this year so far, Heupel called it the "shortest and longest six months of his life."

"I've had a lot of fun," Heupel said. "The family just loves the move down to Orlando and the community is fantastic."

Quizzed about theme park visits, Heupel says his family has made three trips so far but he hasn't been able to accompany them quite yet.

Shifting conversation to the team, Heupel was asked about the benefit of inheriting an established quarterback like McKenzie Milton.

"I think there's some subtle differences between what we've done in our system and what Scott and they did a year ago," Heupel said. "A lot of carryover and similarities as well. I think that helps us transitioning. Although this will be year one for us as coaches and players together, we can't go out and play that way. I think the similarities will help that. McKenzie is a special player. I've coached and worked with two Heisman Trophy winners and Drew Lock this past year who is a projected top-five pick. McKenzie is a special player as I've been around. He's the most dynamic when things don't go the way I've designed. His ability to extend and go make plays is really special."

What's the next step for Milton?

"First and foremost, leadership," Heupel said. "Holding his teammates accountable to the standard that we've set every single day. That happens when you play at a really high level which he did last year. There becomes comfort and confidence in your voice. The other thing is, just going back and watching video with him during the offseason, getting his eyes in the right place so he can be a quicker, better decision maker consistently. And subtle movements inside the pocket so he doesn't have to escape all the time. He's dynamic when he does, but there's plays to be made inside the pocket he can get better at."

As a new coaching staff, Heupel stressed the importance of establishing a comfort level between the staff and players.

"I think the great thing about taking over a program that was as successful as it was this past year is when you have that type of season, you have great leadership from within your locker room," Heupel said. "We lost some of that to the NFL Draft, but a lot of guys are back. That accountability and that culture is something we want to continue to mature and grow. The uniqueness in taking that program over, the thing we have to do is develop real relationships with our players so when adversity hits next year we're on the same page."

Heupel says they'd try to simulate "adversity" during training camp, but acknowledged that can be hard to do.

"At the end of the day it's not real until you're under the lights," he said.

Heupel reiterated how important the leadership factor is and recognized how special last year's team was. He spoke of accountability and trust between players and coaches.

Shifting to player discussion, Adrian Killins was brought up as being at the forefront of the returning playmakers.

"Watching him on video, I saw he is extremely fast," Heupel said. "We got out there on the first day of practice and I went, 'Whoa!' He can roll. He is a dynamic player. When you're able to get him in a little bit of daylight, he has the ability to take it the distance. Everybody saw the dynamic runs that he had every single week last year. It's our job up front and with our tight ends to create some space for him and get him to the third level where he has the ability to make a guy miss."

Wrapping up the interview, Heupel was asked about some players who could emerge this season.

"There's a bunch of guys. I really feel like on the defensive side, Titus Davis, a guy who is going to play on the edge, he's got a chance to be a really dynamic player for us. Safety, KG (Kyle Gibson) is a physical player that can go attack the football as well. I think he's primed to have a big year for us. Offensively, Tre Nixon, a transfer from Ole Miss who is eligible, is a fast dynamic player on the outside that I think is going to have a great year."

hqcfeywne180katutxlm

Dining under a picturesque summer sunset, American coaches, players and attending media feasted on a clambake menu that included lobster, steak, potatoes and corn on the cob.

Linebacker Pat Jasinski devoured 10 lobsters, tying last year's record set by Aaron Evans. Titus Davis wasn't far behind with nine lobsters to his credit. Offensive tackle Wyatt Miller downed six lobsters, while McKenzie Milton dined on what normal people would consume - just one.

Tuesday's schedule begins with the announcement of the American preseason poll at 8:30 a.m., followed by Commissioner Mike Aresco's State of the League Address. The live program that follows on the American Digital Network will feature visits from Heupel and Milton.

Coaches and players will also be available for media interviews. In the Orlando market, Josh Heupel will join Mike Bianchi on 96.9 The Game's "Open Mike" at 8:15.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News