ADVERTISEMENT

***UCF DE transfer Shaun Peterson Jr. ready to sack the Big 12 ⚔️🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

UCF's pass rush should get a big-time boost from Shaun Peterson Jr., who transferred from FIU during the summer.

Peterson, who began his collegiate career as a running back, switched to defense last season and made an immediate impact. He finished the season as FIU's sack leader with six sacks, recorded 28 total tackles, eight tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. He had a PFF season grade of 77.1 grade on defense and his pass-rushing grade of 92.1 ranked in the top 10 nationally.

UCFSports.com caught up with Peterson at the recent transfer media day.

Why was UCF the right move?

"UCF is close to home," Peterson said. "That's one thing. They're now in the Big 12. That's also pretty big. It's just another opportunity to showcase my skill level on a bigger stage."

As a Class of 2018 player at Nova High School in Davie, Fla., Peterson initially committed to South Florida as a linebacker but later flipped to FIU because he wanted the opportunity to play running back.

At FIU, Peterson spent a total of four years at the running back position (2018-21).

He saw limited action at running back his first two seasons, totaling 73 yards on 19 carries. His first year of 2018 also doubled as his redshirt season.

In 2020, Peterson was poised to play a bigger role. He rushed for 188 yards and two touchdowns in FIU's first three games, including a 117-yard performance against Middle Tennessee. His season though ended abruptly due to injury.

In 2021, Peterson carried the ball 58 times for 217 yards and two touchdowns.

FIU had a coaching change prior to the 2022 season. The new coach was Mike MacIntyre and he brought in Jovan Dewitt as his defensive coordinator and linebackers coach. Dewitt coached at UCF several years ago during the Scott Frost era and had recruited Peterson in high school.

Peterson was asked to give defense a try in the spring of 2022.

"(Dewitt) was like, this kid can play linebacker," Peterson said. "He could play defense. He told Coach Mac that. So he knew what was up already... I don't mind. I play linebacker. I know what to do. And it was just real natural. Like, the first two weeks of practice, I just killed it. It was real natural."

Peterson would end up playing a defensive end/linebacker hybrid role in FIU's 3-4 defense.

"For me, it's real natural," Peterson said. "It's instinct. I think the first play I had was a strip sack. That's what really started it all. It was like crazy. I saw the ball, I swiped it out from him and I got on it instantly. But it was real natural ability."

Peterson didn't have the spring to get acclimated at UCF, so he's had to catch up as fast as he can.

"It's been going good," Peterson said. "We have good relationships and I've been getting closer to a lot of the other guys. We're starting to bond more and my relationship as well with them. So it's been a good deal."

Since this is his final season of eligibility, Peterson wants to make it count.

"The goals are always the NFL," he said. "That's the main goal. I have my degree already. That was also one of my main goals. But that's really it just focusing on getting to the next level and really winning the championship here. That's also important, winning games."

There's a lot of experience in UCF's defensive ends between Josh Celiscar, Tre'Mon Morris-Brash and Peterson, who is the oldest by age.

Peterson had seven sacks last year - he's aiming for 10 this year. He actually had three sacks in a game last year against Charlotte.

He's also looking forward to proving himself against a higher level of competition in the Big 12.

"We're all excited," Peterson said. "We talk about every day after practice. We're on a new level. We have to push ourselves now. So that's really what it is. Just coming with focus and ready to take it to the next level."

Peterson can't wait to experience the Bounce House for himself.

"I heard it's crazy," he said. "The Bounce House, the stadium is shaking. I heard a lot of stuff about it. It should be a good experience. "

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News