ADVERTISEMENT

***UCF DT Lee Hunter looking for a big season ⚔️🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Ask UCF coaches and players who has impressed early in preseason camp and the answer has been the same: Lee Hunter.

The former Auburn transfer saw action mostly as a reserve at defensive tackle last season, but is now poised to earn a starting role. We caught with Hunter after Wednesday's practice.

Coach Gus Malzahn and others have noted that Hunter is in much better physical shape this year. He could only play in short bursts last season, but has really worked on his stamina.

I asked Hunter what it's been like to get to this point. He credited yoga.

"I took yoga every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the summertime to get my flexibility," Hunter said. "Every day I went to yoga, I felt I made progress. I felt looser."

He knows he still has a lot to prove.

"I ain't where I need to be," Hunter said. "I got areas to improve on."

How did the defense fare in Sunday's scrimmage?

"Great. I think we did good. Flew around to the ball."

How would he describe the defensive line?

"Excited. Happy. It's a race to the quarterback."

How does he like his coaches?

"Coach (Kenny) Martin has helped me on and off the field. Great coach. Technician. Love Coach Martin... Coach Addison's leadership is great. Great defensive coordinator. Gonna try to put you in the best position to make plays. I enjoy playing for Coach Addi."

How would he describe himself as a player?

"I just like having fun, talking a lot of trash."

What does he think opposing offensive linemen think about him?

"He ain't nice. He gonna come with a lot of force."

Hunter said he likes to watch a couple NFL DTs in particular: Dexter Lawrence (New York Giants) and Derrick Brown (Carolina Panthers).

Hunter has turned heads this camp, but he also singled out every players that have impressed him: Malachi Lawrence, Kaven Call and Tre'Mon Morris-Brash.

Goals for the first season in the Big 12?

"To win. That's the goal."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News