ADVERTISEMENT

UCF falls to 7th place after 60-50 loss at Cincinnati

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Cinci jumped out to an early 9-0 lead and never looked back in a game UCF never lead.

Tacko played great and should have had twice as many touches as he got (rest of the team couldn't hit the side of a barn)

Final Game Stats:

Turnovers (major decider)
UCF: 16 (including 10 in the 2nd half)
Cinci: 5

FG%
UCF: 39.6% (Tacko shot 100% 7-7, rest of team shot just 29%)
Cinci: 35.4%

3 pt %
UCF: 20% (3-15)
Cinci: 31% (9-29)

FT %
UCF: 81.8% (9-11, only 3 attempts in the 2nd half)
Cinci: 100% (5-5)

Rebounds:
UCF: 36 (7 offensive)
Cinci: 34 (13 offensive)

Assists:
UCF: 8
Cinci: 19

Steals:
UCF: 3
Cinci: 12

Reactions: UCFhonors
TOs will kill you everytime, a lot closer than I thought tbh, especially being away. A shame they couldn't put together a better shooting effort.

The rest of the season is going to be tough. Hopefully we can get to 20 wins but that is in doubt.

I cannot recall ever seeing a team that plays so good otherwise turn the ball over like we do.

Certainly not playing well on the road...as UCF has now lost 5 straight road games by an average 12 pt margin.

UCF is DEAD LAST in conf play in:

Assists
Steals
Turnovers
Turnover Margin
Assist to Turnover Ratio

UCF has played better at home than obviously on the road...but UCF still has to host UCONN, Cinci and Tulsa...3 tough teams that seem to have UCF's number.

I cannot recall ever seeing a team that plays so good otherwise turn the ball over like we do.
One might think that 6 games ago, Dawkins would be working/practicing on ball control, basic passing, and how not to turn the ball over. So either not enough emphasis on it, or our talent just can't NOT turn the ball over.

I'm no college bball expert but watched that game and there was no urgency, it looked like they were playing to cover the spread and not win

BJ might be running out of gas...as probably a half a dozen times or more...he allowed AJ to bring the ball up the court...which hadn't really happened much in previous games if BJ was in the game and not pressed.

BJ might be running out of gas...as probably a half a dozen times or more...he allowed AJ to bring the ball up the court...which hadn't really happened much in previous games if BJ was in the game and not pressed.
The whole team looks out of gas at this point. The lack of quality depth has really shown against the better teams (and late in the season). To be honest, I haven't seen a team we've played yet that wowed me with better talent. We gave 5 or 6 quality guys...problem is you need 8-9. Cincy is just a deep, all-around good team that plays stifling defense and can win games several different ways. We just need another 2-3 quality players. Tacko played great.

Reactions: Knight_Light

Johnny should've subbed out more - one of Donnies fatal flawes. I just don't get it. It seems coaches are great with substitutions when they have the lead but are terrible at it when they are down. When down, a timeout happens we claw back then come tumbling back down after we should've subbed.

And before anyone looks up some stats, it's not how many minutes one plays for but for how long of stretches they are in for.

For some reason I still think that if our 3s were going in, we'd have won.

I expected to lose but still think we missed on a huge opportunity to win, and win a big one.

Johnny should've subbed out more - one of Donnies fatal flawes. I just don't get it. It seems coaches are great with substitutions when they have the lead but are terrible at it when they are down. When down, a timeout happens we claw back then come tumbling back down after we should've subbed.

And before anyone looks up some stats, it's not how many minutes one plays for but for how long of stretches they are in for.

For some reason I still think that if our 3s were going in, we'd have won.

I expected to lose but still think we missed on a huge opportunity to win, and win a big one.

With who? With what?

Only guard (walk-on or scholarship) on the bench is Laing and he is a major liability most days against good competition.

Last night, Matt played 39 mins, BJ 37, AJ 36 and Tacko 33.

Banyard (23) and Tank (21) both struggled greatly last night...but again, no other real options.

UCF won't win many games when Matt shoots 3-12 (2-8 from three), let alone at least twice when he drove the lane for open 8 ft shots...he gave up the free shots and passed the ball to someone way beyond the arc (he almost looked gun shy on those possessions).

With who? With what?

Only guard (walk-on or scholarship) on the bench is Laing and he is a major liability most days against good competition.

Last night, Matt played 39 mins, BJ 37, AJ 36 and Tacko 33.

Banyard (23) and Tank (21) both struggled greatly last night...but again, no other real options.

UCF won't win many games when Matt shoots 3-12 (2-8 from three), let alone at least twice when he drove the lane for open 8 ft shots...he gave up the free shots and passed the ball to someone way beyond the arc (he almost looked gun shy on those possessions).

Again it's not about total minutes but breaking up long strenches. Put in Tank and Banyard rotate the 3-4 who the next gives AJ a small rest. Then AJ and Nathan come in a for couple of mins taking out BJ. The Georgey (Sp?) give Matt a couple minutes to refocus. And obviously Chad for Tacko.

I bet Matt got rotated out more during his epic 38 point game vs USF than he did vs Cincy

Again it's not about total minutes but breaking up long strenches. Put in Tank and Banyard rotate the 3-4 who the next gives AJ a small rest. Then AJ and Nathan come in a for couple of mins taking out BJ. The Georgey (Sp?) give Matt a couple minutes to refocus. And obviously Chad for Tacko.

I bet Matt got rotated out more during his epic 38 point game vs USF than he did vs Cincy

2 totally different games.

UCF never trailed for one second in their blowout win vs USF (hence why walk-ons got to play plenty of mins), while the game at Cinci, UCF never lead for one second in that game so UCF was playing catch-up for 40 mins.

Time and place...hence why I think AJ was trying to bring the ball up the court a few times for BJ so BJ could get a few extra secs of rest without being pulled from the game.

Against top talent (SMU, Cincy, , Tank, Nick, Chad, and usually AD fade into the woodwork -- suddenly they can't rebound, pass, or shoot. They either are psychologically intimidated or else the talent gap is too much to bridge. I think it's the mostly the former. With opponents focusing on Tacko, BJ, and Matt, the driving lanes have to open for Davis and Tank, yet they seem to play with less confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT