ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Fast & Slow - Burrowing Owls Edition

gapman333

Five-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2009
Winter Springs
Sorry for the delay in getting this one out. Hard to get a few minutes alone at the computer with all these damn kids running around. I grew up in Boca and know FAU well. I used to go to FAU basketball games before they ever had a football team and remember well the Schnellengberger hire and FAU starting their football program. We had several FAU family come up for the game and it didn't disappoint. Lots of fun had by all. I of course would rather roll everyone we play but it felt nice again for a game to be interesting at half time...

UCF Fast:
  • Milton: The more i think about the SC State game the more i agree KZ looked like he was just screwing around out there. KZ came to play against FAU. Crazy 6 TD game with one of the best runs i have seen him every make. That 13 yard TD run needs to be looped over with the Swami making the call. WHOOP, WHOOP. It was great. I hold my breath everytime he gets hit because he holds our season and our school in his hands but FAU had no answer for KZ on the ground. Huge weapon for us and some incredible throws. No turnovers, great game by KZ.

• Colubiale: It was huge getting a 6th year for him. I mentioned this in an earlier write up that he was hidden behind Akins but almost any other tight end other then Akins and Colubiale would have played a lot more last year. He caught virtually everything thrown at him, took some big hits and kept coming. He bailed us out with at least two big 3rd down receptions across the middle that other players would have alligator armed. Good for him to show out like this. A solid TE can be a QB's best friend.

• Gabe and Snelson: Both had solid outings, caught almost everything attempted their way. We are spoiled to have weapons for days on this squad.

• Ryan Grant: He is becoming a stud for us. I thought the whole secondary played well but Grant consistently stood out. He made some great tackles and laid some wood when he had to. Big time upgrade over Neal.
UCF Slow: I know everyone is going to want to rag on the defense here but even though tackling could have been better and it was questionable that we couldn't stop the run when FAU was so one dimensional, i am giving the defense a pass. Mainly because of the type of offense we play our defense is going to be scored on. Teams control the ball longer, often run many more plays and i think FAU had some better skill guys then most teams we will play this year and the defense certainly did enough to win. 3 picks including a pick 6 and pretty much shutting down the pass. Clearly not a Fast but not quite a Slow either...

• Punt Team: Mac had some booming punts for sure but they need to fix the timing on those plays. He was taking forever to get the ball off. The first one i thought something had to be wrong with the snap or his feel for the ball but then on the 2nd one he took even longer and it should have been blocked. We need to fix that nonsense.

• Kickoff Coverage: I understand the strategy of putting the ball between the 5 yard line and the goal line but FAU had a stud return guy, he was big and blazing fast. We kept kicking right to him and he kept getting nasty returns that appeared to be one guy away from breaking it for the endzone. I thought we could have changed strategy there quicker. Our kick return team struggled as well, couldn't get anything going and we had plenty of kick offs to work with.

• Mitchell: That roughing the passer late hit play was brutal. Cost us 3 pts, could have been 7 and had the offense not gotten it back and scored in 1 minute we could have been trailing 21-14 at half time because of one bone head play. Clearly we overcame this but on a 3rd and forever to give them a first and fg range at that point is just stupid. I didn't see a replay of this but from what i saw it seemed just dumb.

• Lane Kiffin Going for 2: Of course as a UCF fan i am happy but why in the world he went for 2 that first time as early as he did was dumbfounding. If he goes for 1 it is a two score 11 pt game. If he gets the 2 it is still a 2 score 10pt game, if he misses it then it is a 3 score 12 pt game. They miss it and then really put themselves in a bad spot having to go for the 2nd one and missing it as well. Just seemed like a really poor coaching move. Other then that i thought Lane coached the team well, probably outcoached Hype in the first half all things being equal.

• Dungeon: I love you guys but i was reading the in game thread and as usual everyone is so quick to lose their minds over every little thing. Next time you are about to freak out because we end up punting on our 3rd drive after two straight TD drives you need to breath and remember it is a long game and we have one of the top 5 offenses if not the top offense in the NATION. We have room for error on both sides of the ball because of how elite the offense is and you see how that in a perfect example with the TD drive with 1:30 left in the 2nd qtr. As long as their is time on the clock we have a very good chance to score.

• Cell Service: Come on Man, what do i have to donate to get the damn cell phone to work during the game? Not as bad as last game but it still blows.
Most concerning thing for me after the game was the injuries on the offensive line. Hoping both Jordan and Wyatt are ok, i heard they are but we need them. KZ goes down and we are up shits creek. As i said above it was fun to have a game get close again. It has been a while since we were in that position and it felt good to have those feelings come back. Looking forward to next weekend with Pitt coming to town. I am sure we will make it nice and hot for them and they may hang for a while but in the end i expect we pull away in similar fashion and keep this train rolling. Go Knights!!! PS - i want that USF record 30 pt a game scoring streak, lets put that on the list as well. I don't like them having anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News