ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Fast & Slow - EZU Pirates Edition

gapman333

Five-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2009
Winter Springs
This was a weird game. We probably played one of our best halves of football we had played all season. 35 points, 5/5 TD drives, 400+ yards of offense, defense only let up 6 pts (two fgs). Normally the expectation would be most fans and players would be happy but it didn’t feel that way watching the game. Even before the 2nd half it felt emotionally everyone was in a weird place. Fans on this board were saying all types of stupid negative things after the first few plays which I guess is nothing new but it just seemed so hair trigger considering we have only lost three games in the last three seasons and we were rolling in this game. The players though also felt off. Nixon, Davis, Evans all had outburst or seemed frustrated at different times and no one on the side line was dancing or getting into it like we have done in the past, especially when we were rolling. I don’t know if it was the injuries, the stoppages of play, the length of the 1st quarter, the penalties, not sure. Just felt off before the 2nd half even started despite us performing really well.

UCF Fast:

· Play Calling: I was joking with the folks around me that Hype clearly reads my posts and adjusted accordingly. Of course, I am kidding but a lot of things I was bitching about post Pitt and Cincy losses were adjusted here. The throws to Mccrae and Otis out of the backfield were a welcome sight. Also had more sweeps and outside runs then we have seen recently. DG pulled the ball down and had some great runs. Marlon got involved on some slants and what I loved the most was bringing Mack in on third and short and then going fast even after the first down, keeping the big pkg in and having Davis 1 on 1 and letting Mack fling it to him. We HAVE to do shit like this to keep the opposing defenses off balance. Everyone thinks Mack is going to run but we all know he can throw it well, especially the deep balls. I didn’t like the 2nd or 3rd Mack series where on that 4th down they did the read option with him and he handed it off. I think if all we need is a yard and everyone is going to be coming down hill at us we need to let Mack just pick his spot and go. He is so big, he just pauses, lets blocks develop then find the weak spot and fall down hill.

· Gabriel Davis: Another monster game. He looks like a grown man playing with children out there. They just throw it up and he gets it and makes it look easy. Another great game. He is such a huge part of our offense, obviously I want him to stay healthy but really want him to stay next year. I suppose it will depend how he tests but I have to think this season will be his last. Have to enjoy every minute of it.

· Dillon Gabriel: I grade DG on a curve since he is a true freshman but that didn’t even matter this game. He looked great. Admittedly he struggled a bit in the 2nd half but not all of that was on him, the team came out complacent and flat. Would be nice to see DG gets his guys up and keep them motivated like a true leader but again he is young and that will come. DG was super accurate, comfortable in the pocket and best of all pulled the ball down and ran 7 times for 26 yards. That is HUGE for this offense and will help the running backs for sure.

· Erik Mitchell: I don’t know what the hell was going on with Evans, more on that later, but Mitchell didn’t let that shit bother him. He was all around the ball, great play after the Evans meltdown for Mitchell to get the fumble. Had a sack, three TFLs. Led team in tackles, just great game. One of this best for sure.

· Kalia Davis: Do not know where the hell this guy came from but he is a player. Almost like an Aaron Donald or Ed Oliver type. Undersized but strong and quick, really good against the run. Very active from the tackle position. Our defensive line has been an enigma to me. In the beginning of the year I thought D-Line might struggle some especially with Depth. I felt Hayes was serviceable experienced guy and we had some solid young guys in Woodson, Goode, Charlton and some transfers. Goode maybe they are looking to RS because he was dressed but I do not think he played. Woodson did get back out there but didn’t do a ton, Charlton has Mono or something and hasn’t played in three games, Hayes sat a lot yesterday in big spots so not sure what that is all about and we have guys like Montalvo, Davis, Zayas, Turnier, Bash running around out there. I really hope those guys we thought were the best are just being held back due to injuries and will come back alive because we do need them. If that happens depth may fix itself. Pass rush could and should be better.

UCF Slow:

· Penalties: 11 for the game, I believe several more that were declined. Felt like more then that. Just stupid ones to like lining up off sides. Got to clean that up. It seemed uncharacteristic of us but again was some guys that don’t get to play much either getting those penalties.

· Injuries: There was a lot for sure. Usually coming off a bye we you are trending healthier and sit your questionable guys to get them an extra week of rest if we are playing a game we should win at home. I think/hope that was the case with a few guys including Clarke. But we lost two OL, two RBs, and several other players in just this ECU game plus what we were already dealing with. AK and McCrae by themselves we can deal with but losing both of those guys is a tough blow. We especially missed AK’s speed on a few of those plays that you just know he would have made more of. Again my hope is that their was strategy here and we were resting or being cautious with guys that could have played just because we didn’t need to play them and next week is HUGE.

· Evans Emotions: Hoping we get more info on what happened with him. He is our defensive leader, senior, awesome player and was playing a solid first half. He was yelling at the other team and lingering behind in their huddles and jawing with our guys. He spiked his helmet in the middle of the field and got thrown out by one of the coaches. Then he went crazy trying to get into the medical tent but he didn’t appear injured. Clearly something was bothering him as I have NOT seen him like this before but it was hard to figure out what it was. He didn’t look hurt, wasn’t favoring anything and the most telling part was when he spiked his helmet and was told to go sit down he went all the way over to the side, sat down, defense had a huge turnover the next play and then Evans walked past everyone and into the medical tent in an angry stomp. I was hoping to see him celebrate with the guys. I get it is an emotional game and shit happens out there but if this was a freshman or sophomore I could see it more but seemed very out of character for Evans. Would be interested to see if someone can interview him this coming week and ask what that was all about.

· Keeping Starters In: Some of you may not like me for saying this, especially with how ECU did come back some but I was in favor of us keeping DG and Gabe Davis off the field in the 2nd quarter along with a few other starters. I thought letting Mack get some work, slowing down the offense a bit (hurrying up of course but then waiting to snap a bit longer). That we could have won the game, got some other guys some work and avoided some injuries. Instead worst of both things happened, we ended up playing the starters, shitting the bed and then needing the 1’s much deeper into the game. Now we were up by three tds with under 6 minutes left and Gabe Davis was still out there getting the ball thrown to him. That in my mind can NOT happen. For the love of all that his Holy, get that man off the field. I personally do not care about style points. I feel we did all that in the first half. The 2nd half of games where you are at home up by 5 TDs is to rest guys, work young guys and just win. You don’t need to hang 70 on ECU. No one is going to give us credit for that. We need to play to keeping winning games and more fans need to realize that instead of being upset we let up some points late to shit teams we dominated in the first half.

I know some folks are getting on the crowd for leaving at half but I personally was impressed how big the crowd was to start the game. I thought the storm and threat of rain was going to keep a lot of people from showing up but folks came out. It was pretty packed to start but it doesn’t surprise me at all people left at half, hell it was 2.5hrs into the game before the 3rd quarter really got moving. 4hr games that start at 7pm for our fan base (younger, a lot with kids under 10 at the games) is tough to have all stay, especially up 35-6 at half. No reason to believe we would shit the bed in the 2nd half and I get it. Should have been a glorified scrimmage for the 2s and 3s in the 2nd half. The students I have less patience for because we all know they have nowhere important to be. Would have liked to see more of them stick it out especially since most of these kids have no idea how good they have had it these past few years but as I type this I know I sound like Abe Simpson (shake harder boy). Oh well. HUUUUUUUGE game next week. That is NOT going to be an easy game. Team needs to have a good week of practice, get healthy and come correct at Temple. I believe strongly this game will tell us a lot about our team. Can we pull it together and show our greatness or will we come out flat or emotionally not stay into the game when it gets tough and fold. I personally don’t know. On paper we should handle our business but I feel like emotionally we have been all over the place. Coaches need to get players prepared and in the right mind set. We need to win this game to keep any hope at a conference championship alive. We lose next week and the season really does turn into the race for the St Pete bowl. No margin for error the rest of the way. Go Knights!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News