ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Fast & Slow - Smurf Turf Edition

gapman333

Five-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2009
Winter Springs
I loathe games like this one. Games that we are so clearly dominating and yet we stop ourselves to the point where we leave absolutely no margin for error to win. In my entire life i cannot recall a game where ANY team was averaging 7.7 yards per play in the 4th quarter and didn't have a touch down. Physically it shouldn't be possible that something like that could occur. Really hard to watch those types of situations, especially when the BSU starting QB went down and you could tell they were no longer a threat offensively and yet we still found a way to make it interesting...

UCF Fast:
  • BOOMer: I should change the name of the blog to UCF Boomer & Slow because he was incredible again. Truthfully he has been nothing short of amazing since he stepped on the filed. I believe the only FG he has missed was that rediculous 70 yard attempt from last season. Now the winning kick kind of moved a lot and for a second i thought he was going to miss it, especially based on how the rest of the game was going but he pulled it out. He is amazing and after the BS we have gone through in the kicking game the last few seasons it is great to think he is hear for another few years. Love that man.
  • JRP: Really solid game for JRP. Really did everything you want a QB to do. Completed just under 70% of his passes, the two ints were NOT on him so he protected the ball, he combined for around 350 yards of offense, and most importantly he put the team on his back in a two minute drive that he never should have had to be in based on his play and put the team in position for Boomer to win it. My one beef with JRP was the half ass slide on the last drive. He should have ran out of bounds, not only to protect is body but to conserve time. What he did instead may have cost him his season. God help us all if that knee is torn. All the JRP haters will get a taste of what that alternative life will look like real quick and it will not be pretty. Really hoping it is nothing and he is fine. I would have rather lost the BSU game then lose JRP in game TWO. Please let that knee be ok.

• Malachi Lawrence: This is a make up call for last weeks game. I missed him as a fast last week, i thought he deserved one. This game he only had one tackle but it was a beautiful one. It was the best QB rush sack play since Shaquem. It was a thing of beauty and really hope he can build on that moving forward.

• Celiscar & Drop: I thought both had solid games, Celiscar seems to always be in there and always in the play and Drop had the sack and a few TFLs. I was sort of dissapointed in Barber, thought he could have done more, seemed like a game the ends showed out a bit more then the DTs. BSU had a huge o line though.
UCF Slow:
  • WR Drops: Hudson and Baker with BRUTAL drops. Hudson dropped two and Baker dropped one. All three drops came on the BSU side of the field and crushed drives. Two of them were picks, one of which was literally the easiest TD catch of someone's life. All balls were solid throws. Both int drops hit both hands of the receiver and were in stride. I get Hudson attempted to atone for it with 100 yards + recieving and Baker had some solid catches but if either drop pick doesnt happen we probably win this game by two scores and dont have an injured JRP so they really shat bed on those. I know it happens but those were really tough and had massive repercussions.

• Red Zone Play Calls: This was a big grip of mine last year. I loved Gus but i have said many times he outthinks himself inside the red zone. We seem to be the only team that changes there entire offense once we get close to the end zone. We knife through butter them and then get close and try some cute shit. TWO especially egregious plays IMO were as follows, first, the 1st down attempt at a double pass from the 20 yard line that ended up in a 10 yard loss. I get Holler was open but WHY call that play there. Only time i could see calling that play is if we were struggling to move the ball but we were cruising down the field with pretty basic playbook calls. It seemed unnecessarily risky and it could have easily cost us a TD. Thankfully Boomer at least let us get some points on that drive. Second, the two point conversion play. They split JRP out wide and brought him around and faked the pitch to him to have Harvey bootleg and attempt to throw. That seems ass backwards to me. Either have JRP at QB and bring Harvey around and fake it or have JRP split out and flip it to JRP to run or throw. I dont know why they kept trying to get Harvey to throw the ball, especially after the first one where he seemed hesitant to do so. This happened in week 1 as well. We are now 0-3 on Harvey pass plays working. I am not saying he is not capable but save that shit for when we really need it not when the basic shit is working and when he isnt having to throw on that god forsaken blue field

• Smurf Turf: It is awful and it shouldnt be allowed for them to play in all blue on the turf. Clearly they are doing that to achieve an advantage on the field. Everyone should be forced to play on the same green field or if you want a blue field you shouldnt be allowed to wear the same color blue pants, jerseys and helmets. It had to be tough for JRP out there looking down field. I felt like guys were coming out of the ground on the TV. Just doesnt seem fair. I never really though about it before until we had to play on it like this. Also looks like shit on TV.
I havent felt this bad after a loss since the KZ injury at the usf game. That was obviously much worse because i was sitting there live and i knew it was a season ender but i have a similar feeling as i write this tonight. I am happy we won but if JRP is out for the season it is a BRUTAL loss. I really hope that isnt the case and he is just fine, even if he has to sit next week, i have NO issue with that at all but it didnt look good and in my gut it feels like this one is going to be more then that and that will be a really tough pill to swallow. Hoping for positive news. Go Knights!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News