ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Football: Scrimmage Update with QB KJ Jefferson

I really like this kid...or man.

Not a tiny-framed QB, something I feel like we haven't had since Daunte.

Great white hope...

the offspring singing GIF

Xavier Townsend was at Z, Kobi Hudson's old position, for the scrimmage. Townsend beat transfer Antoine Jackson on a go route for a touchdown early.

I do not know whether this signifies Xavier is moving to outside receiver permanently or while Hudson is out or if it depends on whether the Knights snag a true X receiver in the portal.

It is, however, a very interesting move.

Also, Townsend did not mention Tyree Patterson when asked about the other wideouts. Patterson was in line for a reserve role last season. Now, he is no longer receiving any mention.

I suspect this is related to the coaching change at the WR position. Tim Harris Jr. has a different set of expectations than Grant Heard. Thank goodness for that.

While UCF lost a lot of production and playmaking ability when Javon Baker declared, it lost an equal amount of bad attitude, foul body language, selfishness, and pouting.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I suspect this is related to the coaching change at the WR position. Tim Harris Jr. has a different set of expectations than Grant Heard.
“We’re going to play harder than everybody else,” WR Coach Tim Harris said. “We want to ensure we catch the football and consistently catch the ball. That’s the No. 1 job as a receiver, but more than anything, we will be a physical group.

“Sometimes guys look at the wide receiver position and think we’re all about finesse and speed. We’ll be about those things too when we have to, but when you watch us play, you’ll say those guys play hard.”

Figures.

Xavier Townsend was at Z, Kobi Hudson's old position, for the scrimmage. Townsend beat transfer Antoine Jackson on a go route for a touchdown early.

I do not know whether this signifies Xavier is moving to outside receiver permanently or while Hudson is out or if it depends on whether the Knights snag a true X receiver in the portal.

It is, however, a very interesting move.

Also, Townsend did not mention Tyree Patterson when asked about the other wideouts. Patterson was in line for a reserve role last season. Now, he is no longer receiving any mention.

I suspect this is related to the coaching change at the WR position. Tim Harris Jr. has a different set of expectations than Grant Heard. Thank goodness for that.

While UCF lost a lot of production and playmaking ability when Javon Baker declared, it lost an equal amount of bad attitude, foul body language, selfishness, and pouting.
Hudson tweaked his hamstring just before spring practice started. Because he is a senior and predicted to be level 1 receiver, they decided not to rush him back in to action during this spring camp.

Hudson tweaked his hamstring just before spring practice started. Because he is a senior and predicted to be level 1 receiver, they decided not to rush him back in to action during this spring camp.
What I am saying is this...

"IF" UCF considers Hudson a No. 1 receiver who can play X and "IF" UCF is moving Xavier Townsend to Z permanently, then the slot receiver position is wide open.

One transfer is a better fit than any other imaginable: former Gus signee Ja'Varrius Johnson, who was Auburn's leading receiver out of the slot in 2022 and 2023. Johnson, who prepped under former Gus quarterback Josh Floyd at Hewitt-Trussville HS, amassed 1,114 receiving yards on 64 receptions in 35 SEC games.

UCF was the first program to offer Johnson when he hit the portal. "IF" the two "IF"'s are true, I have to think Johnson is UCF bound, especially with Trovon Reed coming over from the Plain. My guess is new WR coach Tim Harris Jr. will love Johnson's intangibles.

Too many coincidences...

Last edited:

Hope these guys don't get a hernia from straining so hard.

:)

I liked when Forrest Whitaker said he was grading receivers based on their play without the ball. I also liked that he mentioned Bredell, Tyree, and Goldie as standing out among the young guys.

Forest Whitaker Star GIF

Last edited:
I hope our players enjoy some Friday Beers this afternoon outside. this weather is UCF at it’s best

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT