ADVERTISEMENT

***UCF Football Staff Watch***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
With Oregon's season officially in the books as well as the entire bowl season except for the CFB Playoff finale, I expect Scott Frost to finalize his staff in the coming days. I'm surprised there hasn't been any more leaks, but now there's not really anything that should be holding up any announcements.

The only rumors we've really had, and these surfaced around the time of Frost's hire, regarded the possibility of Oregon outside linebackers coach Erik Chinander becoming defensive coordinator and rumors that Oregon graduate assistants Joe Bernardi and Nate Costa could have coaching roles on the UCF staff.

Chinander has been regarded as Oregon's best recruiter.

There has been talk that Costa could be promoted to a full-time position within Oregon's staff because traditionally that's what UO has done. Matt Lubick was promoted to offensive coordinator and there is talk that Costa could perhaps be elevated to the vacant offensive spot. It does appear Costa appears not as likely because UCF quickly hired Mario Verduzco to coach quarterbacks. Costa, a former Oregon QB, would have made the most sense there.

Bernardi has an offensive line/tight ends background.

Frost has officially hired three coaches: Troy Walters (Colorado), Ryan Held (Northeast Oklahoma A&M JUCO) and Mario Verduzco (Missouri State). Only Verduzco's position (quarterbacks) was announced. There was a rumor Walters would have the title of offensive coordinator while Frost would still call the plays. It's assumed Walters would coach WRs. Held's background is more on the offensive side, but he could conceivably coach anywhere.

Frost has also appointed former Oregon QB Dustin Haines as a graduate assistant, though the move has not been officially announced. He was actually in Orlando prior to the dead period.

For the time being, Frost has retained the following coaches and staff: Sean Beckton and Travis Fisher of the previous coaching staff, plus GA Josh Linam and staffers Mike Buscemi (recruiting), Ryan Callaghan (recruiting) and Kevin Smith (intern). No official announcements have been made regarding their long-term status, though several recruits have indicated they were told Beckton and Fisher would be retained.

Additionally, Frost parted ways with three UCF staffers just prior to the dead period: Strength coach Ed Ellis, equipment director Robert Jones and Kristy Belden, director of player development.

In the first part of the week (perhaps as soon as tonight), I suspect we'll begin to hear word of staff hires.

Schools are permitted to have 10 full-time coaches (one head coach and nine assistant coaches). That leaves six coaching vacancies, or four if Beckton and Fisher are indeed retained as full-time coaches.

Schools can also hire "quality control" coaches, which usually is considered a step up from graduate assistant, but these coaches are limited in what they can do. For instance, they can't recruit off-campus.

I'm not entirely sure if immediate changes can be expected in regards to the current player roster. Players will report exactly one week from today on Sunday, Jan. 10 for the first team meeting.

There are a couple questions there:

-Will DL Tony Guerad be welcomed back? He quit the team shortly before GOL stepped down but wants to return now that there's been a coaching change.

-Will this staff honor the scholarship to 2015 OL signee Luke Hiers who was grayshirting following shoulder surgery? In mid-December, he had not been contacted by any UCF staff member so he was becoming quite concerned regarding his situation. It was an awkward position for me to keep asking, so I was waiting until after Christmas and New Year's to check back in.

UCF did not allow CB Chris Williams to return - he will transfer to Division II West Georgia. He had been shot in an off-campus altercation last summer and went home this fall on "medical leave."

The dead period is still in effect for this week and most of next week, but the staff will be finalizing visits. Jan. 15 looks to be a huge weekend for official visits.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News