ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Heisman question

SoFL.Knight

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2010
South Florida
Do you think UCF has a player on roster now that could be a Heisman contender before they graduate?

Back in 2011 I was talking to my cousins friend who was an assistant for the team and he told me Blake was going to blow up and was NFL bound (wish he went to a different team). I wonder if we have any players like that on our roster now that no one really knows about or has yet to break out that could make a run.

Blake would have been a Heisman candidate in 2014. Jawon could be but he has to stay healthy and get touches.

It will likely never happen for a G5 player under the current system (or the old one as a matter of fact). Someone like a QB or RB would have to blow up at least two years in a row, like ridiculous Tecmo Bowl Records, and the second season we'd have to have no more than one loss. They might get to go to NY if that ever occurred. For example, if in 2008 24k stayed and we went 12-1 and he went over 2500 yds again he might get an invite. He'd still get dissed most likely. Like money, the whole system is biased towards the P5. They can't give anything of such high media attention to G5 players because it means the P5 acknowledging and legitimizing them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't these guys contenders in the past 5 years? I can name some more if you'd like.
Rakeem Cato, Marshall
Keenan Reynolds, Navy
Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois
Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego St.
Taysom Hill, BYU

Sure, they can be mentioned and in the case of Lynch invited, but no G5 player will ever win it. Competition will be the reason used against G5 players.

Lynch came in third and the only reason he got that close was because he was putting up those numbers consecutive years. Just like Mattropolis said a G5 player would have to put up insane numbers two years in a row and beat decent P5 competition to do it. The team would likely have to go undefeated those years as well which would arguably get them a playoff berth. That's the only way a G5 player ever stands a chance.

Reactions: Mikesi
Kevin Smith was 8th in Heisman voting in 2007. So you've got to be on that level and pretty far beyond just to be close. A QB probably has the only chance and would have to obliterate records in a down year for P5 candidates.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't these guys contenders in the past 5 years? I can name some more if you'd like.
Rakeem Cato, Marshall
Keenan Reynolds, Navy
Taysom Hill, BYU
None of the above were even remotely
close. If Kevin Smith couldn't win it then no one in G5 could.

Maybe if Ward from Houston went undefeated this year, but that didn't happen.

Reactions: SublimeKnight
None of the above were even remotely
close. If Kevin Smith couldn't win it then no one in G5 could.

Maybe if Ward from Houston went undefeated this year, but that didn't happen.

This.

When you go down the list of RBs based on single season yardage, just about every other RB in the top 10 either won the Heisman or was runner up. For Smith to be 8th that year was insanity.

Reactions: Mikesi
This.

When you go down the list of RBs based on single season yardage, just about every other RB in the top 10 either won the Heisman or was runner up. For Smith to be 8th that year was insanity.
He even had like 146 yards vs Texas and 200 vs NC state.

Andre Ware from Houston won and Ty Detmer from BYU.
Ware won it in '89 and Detmer in '90. That was over a quarter of a century ago. Home Alone was the #1 movie when Detmer won. Billy Joel had the #1 song when Ware won the Heisman.

It is difficult for a player from a G5 school to make it to New York. Looking at the last 10 years you can see sometimes the Heisman voters get caught up in the hype of a player instead of the performance. What ever happened to Manziel. :sunglasses:

Round Pick Player Name Team Position College

2015 2016 2 14 45 Derrick Henry Titans RB Alabama
2014 2015 1 2 2 Marcus Mariota Titans QB Oregon
2013 2015 1 1 1 Jameis Winston Buccaneers QB Florida State
2012 2014 1 22 22 Johnny Manziel Browns QB Texas A&M
2011 2012 1 2 2 Robert Griffin III Redskins QB Baylor
2010 2011 1 1 1 Cam Newton Panthers QB Auburn
2009 2011 1 28 28 Mark Ingram Saints RB Alabama
2008 2010 1 1 1 Sam Bradford Rams QB Oklahoma
2007 2010 1 25 25 Tim Tebow Broncos QB Florida
2006 2007 5 37 174 Troy Smith Ravens QB Ohio State
2005 2006 1 2 2 Reggie Bush Saints RB USC

Ware won it in '89 and Detmer in '90. That was over a quarter of a century ago. Home Alone was the #1 movie when Detmer won. Billy Joel had the #1 song when Ware won the Heisman.
That movie and song live forever. It was harder then to be a part of the good ole boys club. No one saw them on tv. Now it's hard to not have a UCF football game go unseen by anyone who wants to watch it

Rakeem Cato, Marshall
Keenan Reynolds, Navy
Taysom Hill, BYU

- Chance of any of them winning....0%. Getting invited and winning are two different things.
- Kellen Moore's best voting was 4th (his Senior season), and the guy lost 3 games in 4 seasons. He would have won it three times if he was at a P5 program. He might be the best college QB to ever play. He has career stats of 50-3 as a starter with 14,667 yds; 143 TDs versus 28 picks (5.1:1 ratio). His lowest QB rating was 157.1 and highest was 182.6.
- Jordan Lynch came in 3rd in his second great season. If he were at a P5 program he might have won.
- Cato - nope (not in top 10)
- Reynolds - 5th
- Hill - nope (not in top 10)
- Pumphrey will get some love this year and make the top 10, but that's it.
- Keenum made the top 10 twice
- Kevin Smith rushes for 2,567 yds and 29 TDs, and gets seventh....it was a travesty. At the time, only Barry's Sanders season was better. As a fan, we will never witness true greatness like that again. Matt Ryan who had 31 TDs and 19 picks got more votes. Why is that even Heisman worthy?
- Colt Brennan got third in his second great season with stats that weren't as good as the year before when he threw for 58 TDs against 12 picks and 5549 yds. That's sick and I don't care who you are playing against.

- Chance of any of them winning....0%. Getting invited and winning are two different things.
- Kellen Moore's best voting was 4th (his Senior season), and the guy lost 3 games in 4 seasons. He would have won it three times if he was at a P5 program. He might be the best college QB to ever play. He has career stats of 50-3 as a starter with 14,667 yds; 143 TDs versus 28 picks (5.1:1 ratio). His lowest QB rating was 157.1 and highest was 182.6.
- Jordan Lynch came in 3rd in his second great season. If he were at a P5 program he might have won.
- Reynolds - 5th
- Kevin Smith rushes for 2,567 yds and 29 TDs, and gets seventh....it was a travesty. At the tiI me, only Barry's Sanders season was better. As a fan, we will never witness true greatness like that again. Matt Ryan who had 31 TDs and 19 picks got more votes. Why is that even Heisman worthy?
- Colt Brennan got third in his second great season with stats that weren't as good as the year before when he threw for 58 TDs against 12 picks and 5549 yds. That's sick and I don't care who you are playing against.

Even worse was when Kevin Smith didn't win the award for best RB. The RB from Michigan who was hurt half the year won. Hart, I think was his name. Now that was the real travesty.

Back when there was still some common sense concerning what that trophy should really represent. As soon as the BCS came to be, that came to a grinding halt.
Remember BYU won the national title in 1982 or 83, so the Ware and Detmer years being not too far after that tells me it was a different ERA

It's becoming increasingly more unlikely every year. Nothing is impossible, but very unlikely.

- Reynolds - 5th
- Kevin Smith rushes for 2,567 yds and 29 TDs, and gets seventh....it was a travesty. At the time, only Barry's Sanders season was better. As a fan, we will never witness true greatness like that again. Matt Ryan who had 31 TDs and 19 picks got more votes. Why is that even Heisman worthy?
I agree. We may never see a UCF back over 2,000 yards ever. Too many carries are needed as well. At this point, I'll take 800 yards.

-

I'm glad you brought up Brennan -- it jogged my memory of his throwing motion....remind you of another Hawaiian? Difference being Brennan is 6'3".

Didn't Case Keenum have like a 9-TD game and 50 TDs in one year and break multiple records and still not even get close to sniffing the Heisman?

G5 = :cry:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT