Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001

Quick and random thoughts from the game-ish​

First, prayer hands to John Rhys Plumlee. Let’s hope for the best

Also, how was that not targeting?

Road wins are tough, you take them anyway you can get them

Offense looked good for most of the night

I think we got a little too cute in the red zone a few times

FS1 announcers just don’t call games on-site huh?

Click here to read more.

The side of his helmet hit the front of JRPs. It has to be the crown of the helmet for targeting. That seems to be the justification for the no-call.
Then they need to fix the rule, because JRP took a shot to the head and sustained a concussion. That tells me they are not completely protecting the QB.

I'm still confused why he wasn't just running out of bounds? The clock was an issue in the last minute of the game. No one has given a reason I've heard yet. Why was he starting that awkward slide when the sideline and clock stoppage was a yard away?

I'm still confused why he wasn't just running out of bounds? The clock was an issue in the last minute of the game. No one has given a reason I've heard yet. Why was he starting that awkward slide when the sideline and clock stoppage was a yard away?
It was either the coaching staff wanted to run some clock or a mistake.

It was a busted RPO play and there were a few seconds left, he panicked

They need to teach sliding to QBs on the turf, it's not like sliding in the dirt into a base. Therefore it is not easy and requires some instruction and practice. Some players might feel like sliding exposes you to as many injuries as not sliding. Therefore just try to get out of bounds. Lastly I hate the marks of the officials when one slides. They always seem too short.

A few key things I noticed against the Boise State game.

UCF desperately misses Bowser in short yardage and especially in the red zone. He had a nose for the end zone. His 16 rushing touchdowns last season are sorely missed.

Xavier Townsend was underused. He had only two touches.

UCF totally forgot about using jet sweeps.

Gus had to use gadget plays in the red zone because Baker and Hudson couldn't execute the regular plays.

How on earth can you tell if the turfs "look similar" to each other?
I've stood on the turf in the IPF. During the game it looked like that same kind of construction with the rubber pellet dirt that gets kicked up, not like the old Astroturf. But I guess thinking about it more, aren't they all like that now?

Maybe I'm just out of date. Sorry for the noise.

That said, how different might one expect it to be from stadium to stadium? Is the assertion that our IPF is not suitable for learning to slide "on turf?"

I guess I just don't know.

Turfs vary. Watch a baseball game on turf at Boombah in Sanford or other turf field... On most, if it rains and slide....you can keep sliding forever....on some dry turf, you can have a good slide, get stuck on the turf and roll over awkwardly especially on a hard slide.

JRP is a college baseball player who steals bases a lot, so he knows how to slide. The problem for him is that he's such a competitor that he wants to get every inch he can and waits too long before deciding to slide. He gets hit before defenders can tell he's giving himself up and leaves him vulnerable and in dangerous position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT