ADVERTISEMENT

***UCF LB Jason Johnson making early impact for the Knights ⚔🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

UCF linebacker Jason Johnson was all over the field against Louisville. He led the team with 12 tackles and was one of the highest-rated players according to PFF.

The former FCS All-American at Eastern Illinois, a newcomer for the Knights this season, spoke at Monday's press conference about his transition to FBS football.

"It's been great. We have a great team. We have a great fanbase. I'm still adjusting, trying to get better."

Johnson said "football is football" when asked about transitioning levels. It's just picking up the new terminology.

Against Louisville, he started feeling more comfortable towards the end of the second quarter when he started making more plays.

As for FAU, they have a great offense so they have to do their job.

He was happy for the defense, thought they did well overall vs. UL.

RB Johnny Richardson is an offensive player that has helped him get better.

Johnson said the skill players in FBS are mostly the same, but the offensive linemen are definitely bigger than FCS.

He was going to stay at Eastern Illinois until his head coach left. He wasn't sure if his position coach was leaving. That's really why he entered the portal. "UCF was the best school that contacted me. I love the coaching staff."

He's "happy" T-Will believed in him. He doesn't want to let him down.

Johnson said his old teammates were proud of him, watching him play well in the Louisville game.

He didn't start playing LB until his senior year of high school. He only had the one FCS offer.

How does he want to finish the rest of this season?

"I want to win out the rest of our games. I want to play well and want the team to play well."

Johnson has two years of eligibility remaining. Here's my interview with him last March when he committed:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News