ADVERTISEMENT

UCF/Memphis BB thread...

thespiritof1976

Bronze Knight
Oct 17, 2017
If we're ever going to get a win in Memphis, this is the game to do it.

The Tigers are a shell of what they once were, but they are still Memphis...

Game tied at 4-4 after a few minutes...

Playing decent but this Memphis team is not good. Tubby is terrible and they lost the twins from last year. Both teams are NIT or CBI.

I don't see the loser making the NIT and even for the winner, might take 2 tournament wins to get that invite.

I don't see the loser making the NIT and even for the winner, might take 2 tournament wins to get that invite.
UCF is solidly in the NIT. Good wins over Alabama and Temple and 0 losses considered bad at this point. A win today and they are around 60 in RPI.

Reactions: UCFhonors
First ever win in Memphis.

68-64 with BJ Taylor leading the way. Now that is a future NBA PG right there folks.

Also, in Johnny Dawkins first two years, UCF doesn't have one "bad loss".

Nice upgrade from that idiot Donnie Jones.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs

68-64 with BJ Taylor leading the way. Now that is a future NBA PG right there folks.

No he isn’t an NBA PG. G League and at most a 2 way contract guy. If we had an NBA PG we’d be NCAA Tourney lock.

Reactions: UCFlagship
I disagree. He has a legit shot to be in the association.

Especially after his senior season coming up with Dawkins and Fall healthy.
Let’s not not jinx that last part...was supposed to be “BJ coming back with Dawkins and Fall” this year too.

Losing at home to penn last year was a pretty damn bad loss. IIRC we were 10 point favorites
At least according to Realtime, Pennsylvania at 199 wasnt technically considered a bad loss but (beating UCF) it was their best win and our lowest ranked loss.
...and yes Penn later losing to teams outside of the Top 250 doesnt while we couldnt win makes for one questionable loss.

What? Top 120 get into top 2 tournies.

Huh?

You do know that every conf champ feon every conf (even those in the bottom 20 or so conferences) get automatic NIT invite if they lose in conf tournament and don't get NCAA invite, REGARDLESS what their RPI is.

Point being, not as many at large NIT bids as you think.

No he isn’t an NBA PG. G League and at most a 2 way contract guy. If we had an NBA PG we’d be NCAA Tourney lock.

I disagree. He has a legit shot to be in the association.

Especially after his senior season coming up with Dawkins and Fall healthy.

BJ has missed 1 1/2 seasons due to 2 different injuries. I hope he comes back for his 5th and final season but can understand it if he gets an offer to be paid to play hoops somewhere.

He is tough as nails and seems to have ice in his veins when game is on the line.

Last edited:
Huh?

You do know that every conf champ feon every conf (even those in the bottom 20 or so conferences) get automatic NIT invite if they lose in conf tournament and don't get NCAA invite, REGARDLESS what their RPI is.

In fairness, regular season conference champs pretty much universally have good records and pretty good RPI. Conference tournament champs can theoretically be any team in the conference, so much more potential to be a low RPI team. Still a 120 RPI team is not getting in the NIT. Georgia Tech got in with a 109 RPI last year, but they had many good wins including 3 over ranked teams.

Huh?

Your right only 32 total. I thought was more. So top 100 RPI usually make 1 of the tournies. Maybe 10 sneak in outside of that a year so top 90. Aren’t we around 55?

Your right only 32 total. I thought was more. So top 100 RPI usually make 1 of the tournies. Maybe 10 sneak in outside of that a year so top 90. Aren’t we around 55?

Also, you are not taking in account for the say some of the 20 1-bid NCAA Tourn leagues where their conf tourn champion is ranked WAY below 100 too.

Then add how the NCAA now "owns" the NIT...they also want some "named" teams in that tournament too since most games are shown on ESPN Networks too.

NOTE: Here was the #1 - #8 NIT seeding for those teams last year that won their regular season but lost their conf tournament, didn't get a NCAA bid but got their conf "auto-bid" to NIT:

#8 UNC Greensboro
#4 Monmouth
#7 Belmont
#8 Cal State Bakersfield
#6 UT-Arlington
#7 Akron
#1 Illinois State
#8 UC Irvine
#8 South Dakota
#7 Oakland

7 out of the 8 lowest seeds were auto-bids to NIT....which would have been replaced if NIT was totally an invitation tournament without auto-bids.

Last edited:

One bad loss? What about at Cincy the other night? 80-40 Loss? That's pretty bad...just sayin :-(

One bad loss? What about at Cincy the other night? 80-40 Loss? That's pretty bad...just sayin :-(
Its an expected loss regardless of how bad we lost. Besides we moved up 6 spots. Imagine if we lost by 15 or 10. Curious how much we bumped up after losing to #1 Villanova by 10 points last year? That had to be important in the NITs decision to add us.**

Its an expected loss regardless of how bad we lost. Besides we moved up 6 spots. Imagine if we lost by 15 or 10. Curious how much we bumped up after losing to #1 Villanova by 10 points last year? That had to be important in the NITs decision to add us.**
What was our RPI last year?

We should beat that this year and prob still don't get at large without at least making the AAC Champ game.
Yep probably won't get an at large. Would have to finish 5-1 to do it which I don't see happening. Also RPI will drop against USF and Tulane even with wins in those games.

I disagree. I would definitely consider a 38 point loss (83-45 to West Virginia) and a 37 point loss (77-40 to Cincinnati) bad losses. Regardless of the fact the teams were ranked high, we looked like we didn't belong on the same court those nights.

I disagree. I would definitely consider a 38 point loss (83-45 to West Virginia) and a 37 point loss (77-40 to Cincinnati) bad losses. Regardless of the fact the teams were ranked high, we looked like we didn't belong on the same court those nights.
I get the analysis, but bad loss means losing to a team we should beat.....easily.
Not being on the court with a good team like WVU and Cincy is kind of expected and in our case if they lose to us vice versa.

We don’t belong on the same court with top 25 teams. That’s why they aren’t bad losses. They are losses we get beat bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT