ADVERTISEMENT

UCF offers 4 Jones players.

NuRXDrk.gif

Talk about making a statement!!! CJH understands the "State of UCF" and keeping the hometown talent.

Yeah, sucks getting players Like Pat Jansinski, Wyatt Miller, Jamiyous Pittman and McKenzie Milton from out of state. I agree that it is good to get local pipeline going, especially offering underclassmen like this who will talk up UCF for the next 2-3 years. But for the last 4 years most of our talent has come from Florida and many of our great lineman still came from the GOL Georgia pipeline.

Yeah, sucks getting players Like Pat Jansinski, Wyatt Miller, Jamiyous Pittman and McKenzie Milton from out of state. I agree that it is good to get local pipeline going, especially offering underclassmen like this who will talk up UCF for the next 2-3 years. But for the last 4 years most of our talent has come from Florida and many of our great lineman still came from the GOL Georgia pipeline.

I don't disagree with you but if a local pipeline is developed it's easier to recruit through multiple staff changes, which is our current landscape.

Reactions: UCFhonors

Jones HS always had a talent (sadly, some transfer out after a year or 2 to other Orlando HS with better academic and/or football program pedigree), as one of the main challenges for some Jones HS athletes is to do the time needed in the classroom to meet all eligibility standards...as more than a few football/basketball players from Jones couldn't get into college because of what they didn't do while they were in HS.

I think its great to see offers given out EARLY...so hopefully these kids (and any other players at other schools) can stay motivated academically to help achieve a dream of earning a college scholarship.

Jones HS always had a talent (sadly, some transfer out after a year or 2 to other Orlando HS with better academic and/or football program pedigree), as one of the main challenges for some Jones HS athletes is to do the time needed in the classroom to meet all eligibility standards...as more than a few football/basketball players from Jones couldn't get into college because of what they didn't do while they were in HS.

I think its great to see offers given out EARLY...so hopefully these kids (and any other players at other schools) can stay motivated academically to help achieve a dream of earning a college scholarship.

UCF already has the academic support system, might be worth it to look at extending it for high schoolers. Football/academic summer camp.

Reactions: ucflee
I don’t know orlando that well, is Jones historically one of the best football teams in town?

No.

Historically...Edgewater and Boone have had more success...plus, Jones I think plays at a smaller school level/division.

Apopka use to be King of Orange County...but now they have been surpassed by the "new" Apopka HS, Wekiva...which has a "system" to get the best local athletes to their school.

Bishop Moore does very well as a private HS in Orlando...and has had some solid years plus puts out some P6 talent.

I don’t know orlando that well, is Jones historically one of the best football teams in town?

Jones high school (1895) is the oldest school in the area and use to be the public school for African-Americans when segregation was a thing. Orlando high school (now Howard middle school), was split into Boone and Edgewater in 1952. Enrollment has always stayed low because it was a "black" school. As Orlando grew outward, families that could afford to move away from the core did, creating a smaller, poorer school. In response Orange County public schools added IB, Magnet and AP programs to increase enrollment, but with 1200 students they compete at a lower athletic level. Tradition and politics will prevent Jones from being merged into a larger school (Evans, Oak Ridge, Boone, Edgewater). Most Orange County high schools have 2000-3500 students.

No.

Historically...Edgewater and Boone have had more success...plus, Jones I think plays at a smaller school level/division.

Apopka use to be King of Orange County...but now they have been surpassed by the "new" Apopka HS, Wekiva...which has a "system" to get the best local athletes to their school.

Bishop Moore does very well as a private HS in Orlando...and has had some solid years plus puts out some P6 talent.

Surpassed? Since Wekiva high school opened its doors in 2007 Apopka high school has won two state championships (2012, 2014) and lost in the state championship once (2013). I don’t believe Wekiva has appeared in one state championship. Wekiva is very good but They haven’t replaced Apopka ....they have to get past Apopka to get to the state championship as Apopka is a perennial playoff team. I would also place Dr. Phillips high school Ahead of Wekiva. Oh and Apopka HS also won a state championship in 2001 but Wekiva high school did not exist back then.

Wekiva May have beaten Apopka last year but I wouldn’t say that means they have surpassed Apopka’s program.Apopka has a 12 and three record against Wekiva. And yes...I’m a proud Bluedarter

Last edited:
Surpassed? Since Wekiva high school opened its doors in 2007 Apopka high school has won two state championships (2012, 2013) and lost in the state championship once (2013). I don’t believe Wekiva has appeared in one state championship. Wekiva is very good but They haven’t replaced Apopka ....they have to get past Apopka to get to the state championship as Apopka is a perennial playoff team. I would also place Dr. Phillips high school Ahead of Wekiva. Oh and Apopka HS also won a state championship in 2001 but Wekiva high school did not exist back then.

Wekiva May have beaten Apopka last year but I wouldn’t say that means they have surpassed Apopka’s program.Apopka has a 12 and three record against Wekiva. And yes...I’m a proud Bluedarter
Good info. Maybe he was referring to the trajectory of wekiva

Could be. Losing their head coach Rick Darlington this year is a huge loss. He’s a legend in Florida HS football. He leaves Apopka with a career 167-47 record and a 31-13 playoff record. They lost in the state 8a region semifinals this past season

Reactions: ProAttitude
Could be. Losing their head coach Rick Darlington this year is a huge loss. He’s a legend in Florida HS football. He leaves Apopka with a career 167-47 record and a 31-13 playoff record. They lost in the state 8a region semifinals this past season
Really? Rick left? That guy was fun to watch! I guess he was waiting to see his son graduate.

With Rick Darlington leaving and Bob Head probably having to resign, that leaves Dr. Phillips and Wekiva as the dominant programs in Orange County.

Correct...hence why Apopka's long-time coach left the program at season's end.

Wekiva demolished Apopka this season, 35-0...in addition to Wekiva's win over Apopka in 2017 as well.

Writing was on the wall...Wekiva was loading up with most of the top players in town...and it showed on the field.

Correct...hence why Apopka's long-time coach left the program at season's end.

Wekiva demolished Apopka this season, 35-0...in addition to Wekiva's win over Apopka in 2017 as well.

Writing was on the wall...Wekiva was loading up with most of the top players in town...and it showed on the field.

I thought it was because his son graduated. Apopka had/has a lot of good players.

Darlington gave a long radio interview 2 months ago or so...talked about Wekiva's "recruiting" and how few top players he had in his pipeline at AHS.
I think he left for the same reason he left Apopka once before ....a $100,000 a year high school coaching job out of state. Apopka has athletes... always has ....And there are enough of them to field two high school playoff teams this past year. Apopka is not going away anytime soon and neither is Wekiva...but until Wekiva wins 3 state Championships they have not “surpassed” Apopka. When Wekiva has a 3-12 record vs Apopka that’s a losing record and not “surpassing” anyone.

As far as recruiting players is concerned ....three players who transferred from timber creek high school to Winter Park high school this past year were made ineligible to play because of living out of the school zone. the school district is cracking down on illegal transfers and recruiting ....we’ll see how long this type of recruiting lasts.

I think he left for the same reason he left Apopka once before ....a $100,000 a year high school coaching job out of state. Apopka has athletes... always has ....And there are enough of them to field two high school playoff teams this past year. Apopka is not going away anytime soon and neither is Wekiva...but until Wekiva wins 3 state Championships they have not “surpassed” Apopka. When Wekiva has a 3-12 record vs Apopka that’s a losing record and not “surpassing” anyone.

As far as recruiting players is concerned ....three players who transferred from timber creek high school to Winter Park high school this past year were made ineligible to play because of living out of the school zone. the school district is cracking down on illegal transfers and recruiting ....we’ll see how long this type of recruiting lasts.
Didn’t the state just pass a law that kids can go to any school they want as long as there’s space and they provide their own transportation?

Didn’t the state just pass a law that kids can go to any school they want as long as there’s space and they provide their own transportation?
Yes...I believe so. But in the case of the Timbercreek players, Winter Park high school was at capacity....so they have to live within their school zone. I’m not sure whether or not Wekiva high school is at capacity

Yes...I believe so. But in the case of the Timbercreek players, Winter Park high school was at capacity....so they have to live within their school zone. I’m not sure whether or not Wekiva high school is at capacity
I’m pretty sure they can let a great athlete transfer whether at capacity or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT