ADVERTISEMENT

***UCF OL Sam Jackson: "We want to go undefeated" ⚔🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Sam Jackson wants to finish his career like he started.

The UCF offensive lineman arrived at UCF in 2017, winning a National Championship his first season and back-to-back conference championships.

Thanks to a redshirt and an extra year of eligibility, he'll close it out with a sixth season this fall. One more ring is the goal.

The versatile Jackson is a multi-year starter who has mostly played tackle but can also play guard. He also practiced at center during the spring so he could be ready in the event he's needed.

We caught up with the Bradenton native following the first day of preseason camp.

-Even though this is his sixth camp, he said his mindset to behave like "he's the first guy off the bus" and this is still new to him.

-The focus of camp is to gel with the guys and becoming a strong offensive line unit.

-The 2022 offensive line is "huge."

"We've got some big boys and some good tackles. And we've got a lot more depth. That was evident through spring and evident for this season. Having good talent throughout the depth chart is important."

-Asked about running backs, these guys are "bigger" than the Adrian Killins days. Isaiah Bowser is the power back and guys like Johnny Richardson and Mark-Antony Richards are the speed guys.

"We've got like six or seven guys that could play running back at any school."

-What of the quarterback competition between Mikey Keene and John Rhys Plumlee?

"Competition breeds success... We'll see in film who does the best. I know whoever is chosen at the end of the day, all the guys will respect it. Even John Rhys and Mikey will respect it, either one."

-The summer practices were beneficial for the incoming transfers to get acclimated. Now they can jump into camp with a quicker transition.

-What are his goals?

"I'm super excited. I didn't come back here to not win every game. I want to leave how I came in. That's the goal. We want to go undefeated. We want to win the championship. I know there's a lot of talk about the Big 12 and all that, but we're all focused on this year. I'm excited for the program to go on because you want to leave it better than you found it. Personally, setting myself up for a future after college. That's very important to me and on my mind as I go through the season."

-They play to "seize the moment."

"We're set up to be really good. We have a really good team on both sides of the ball. A lot of talent. We have the ability to do what 2017 did. That's how it is. You've got step up and seize it. When the opportunity presents itself, you've got to get it."

-Jackson noted Anthony Montalvo for his weight room work over the summer.

"He's a freak. I don't think people understand. That guy is a weight room freak. He pushed me and Lokahi (Pauole), we were all together. He helped me out. He put the work in and looks a million times better."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News