ADVERTISEMENT

UCF opens -3 over Cincinnati

We’re playing a prime time game on the road, on a short week, against a good defense. Plenty of reasons for us to be worried ala Pitt.
I think the Pitt loss is now a positive. Sure it would have been nice to go undefeated again, but this team wasn't ready for that. I think they learned a lot from that loss. DG settled in and had a pretty good game. The defense was gassed from being on the field so much and I don't think Heup wants that again. I think the game plan for Cincinnati will be more methodical and tempos will change at times. If we can sustain offensive drives early, I think it's a good sign.

Also, that Pitt game was a cluster****. Dumb calls by refs at crucial moments, letting Pitt get away with some of the most egregious holding in modern football history, DG being inches off on TD passes., etc.

Can anyone tell me about Cincy’s pass rush or talent on the Dline?
Any podcasts dive into this?

I think the Pitt loss is now a positive. Sure it would have been nice to go undefeated again, but this team wasn't ready for that. I think they learned a lot from that loss. DG settled in and had a pretty good game. The defense was gassed from being on the field so much and I don't think Heup wants that again. I think the game plan for Cincinnati will be more methodical and tempos will change at times. If we can sustain offensive drives early, I think it's a good sign.

Also, that Pitt game was a cluster****. Dumb calls by refs at crucial moments, letting Pitt get away with some of the most egregious holding in modern football history, DG being inches off on TD passes., etc.
Couldn't agree more. It was a combination of just about everything that could go wrong, going wrong. I really hope Heup has us in shape and ready to switch it up as needed tempo wise and we don't get too routine. Its always a concern coming off a short week with an awesome win that we dont underestimate.

Reactions: Happy Hands
Our offensive line and Dillon will decide this game (IMHO)
I think our defense will be the most important. It’s concerning that Pitt put up more points on us than they have any other team this season. I think DG and the offense will manage 35+ points, that is good enough as long as our defense steps up. I don’t see us pulling out 40+ points. I hope I’m wrong, and huepel/Shannon had this game circled, and we make a statement. I don’t feel good about this game after watching the team give away the second game this year. We gave away LSU and Gave away PITT.

Reactions: GoKnights2003
Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell is Ohio State through and through. He started in 50 consecutive games for the Buckeyes at nose tackle. Beat the tar out of Frost's Oregon team in the NCG 42-20 as Ohio State's DC. Expect to meet a well prepared team with a coach who's not remotely overwhelmed by the moment. The same could be said for Heupel's experience at Oklahoma. These guys have been there done that. Should be a great game.

Cincinnati head coach Luke Fickell is Ohio State through and through. He started in 50 consecutive games for the Buckeyes at nose tackle. Beat the tar out of Frost's Oregon team in the NCG 42-20 as Ohio State's DC. Expect to meet a well prepared team with a coach who's not remotely overwhelmed by the moment. The same could be said for Heupel's experience at Oklahoma. These guys have been there done that. Should be a great game.
Wasn’t he head coach at OSU when they had worst year in many years?

from article, exactly why we lost at Pitt. Hopefully the team learned.

"UCF can’t be its worst enemy this Friday. Avoiding self-sabotage is a cornerstone element of a winning performance, not a minor peripheral detail."

Inheriting a program in disarray and under investigation is no easy thing. Still managed to go 6-6, and was one of the few coaches Urban kept on. This will be a close hard fought game. imho Charge on!!!!
True. Not the same as inheriting an undeafeated team that had been well recruited and on fire like we were. And that's no slam to JH, it's just a fact. I'll add keeping it going is even harder to do.

Reactions: PowerEye101
True. Not the same as inheriting an undeafeated team that had been well recruited and on fire like we were. And that's no slam to JH, it's just a fact. I'll add keeping it going is even harder to do.
Urban seemed to do just fine with that 6-6 team.

Fickell is not as good as a coach who took multiple teams to national championships and a third team to an undefeated season.
I agree. Wasn't calling you the cupcake, it was meant toward the OP response.

Urban seemed to do just fine with that 6-6 team.
Sure with Fickell's #1 ranked Big 10 recruiting class to work with. Fickell had the #1 ranked AAC recruiting class last year, along with a 11-2 record. Cincinnati won't lose because they were out coached. It's gonna be a slobber knocker decided in the trenches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT