ADVERTISEMENT

UCF or Nebraska?

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
Here's an off-season question for you regarding my two favorite CFB teams:

UCF (6-7) or Nebraska (5-6)

Which one do you predict will have a better season this fall?

Here's an off-season question for you regarding my two favorite CFB teams:

UCF (6-7) or Nebraska (5-6)

Which one do you predict will have a better season this fall?
Nebraska has, by far, the better head coach, more fan support, and more resources. UCF is a .500 team…I see Nebraska getting 8 wins.

I really dont know much about Nebraska and as such i cant answer your question..
UCF has the potential to do really well but have not seen what Ted Roof will bring to the table . If the defense improves just moderately UCF will likely be in the hunt for the BigXII title.

With that said the greatest football team ever , the University of Miami Cat 7 Hurricanes will be in the hunt for a national title. After all, this the second home of Miami football. The Hurricanes will be unstoppable. We all should be talking Miami and not the G5 UCF. All hail Miami and LoboCane !

Is that QB that was flipped from Georgia going to start as a Freshman?
Yeah, his name is Dylan Raiola. It will be a shocker if he doesn’t start.
If the defense improves just moderately UCF will likely be in the hunt for the BigXII title
Just the opposite for Nebraska. Nebraska’s offense was as awful last season as UCF’s defense. If the offense improves, Nebraska could be a surprise team too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nautiknight
UCF has possibly the easiest schedule in college football. We will be have the appearance of improvement, Gus will figure out how to lose 3-4 including whatever bowl game they play.

Rhule will have his team improved. I say they start off hot and then drop 4 of the last 5 games. Maybe all 5.

Not a great comparison for us. There is a lot of excitement around Nebs program right now that we can’t match. Until Gus can prove he can win these conference games, I would go with Neb. The bowl game against a 6-6 team was embarrassing.

Admittedly, it may be my wishful thinking but I see both programs taking a big jump this season. Momentum is a big deal in CFB. If a team’s schedule allows them to get on a roll, look out. A winning streak seems to turbo-charge the development of young players.

I am more concerned with UCF’s defense than I am with Nebraska’s offense. On paper, both look to be improved. But you never really know until you see it on the field.

Imma go Kilo Ali on y'all: Some of y'all done "Lost Yo Mind."

Nebraska has not had a winning season since 2016. Since that time, its win totals have been 5, 4, 3, 5, 5, and 4 games.

Hype alone means nothing. (See Colorado.) Y'all of all fans should know that living in the shadows of the u, which is perennially put on a pedestal--only to fail to live up to unrealistic expectations again and again.

Below is Nebraska on the left and the u on the right.

Motivate Matt Foley GIF

UCF, conversely, is a different animal.

No. 1, UCF historically exceeds expectations.

No. 2, Gus has transformed the Knights' roster. You have to understand hypeL recruited the nation's 62nd, 56th, 78th, and 60th composite classes. Gus was depending on those guys for the last three seasons. Gus turned over the roster completely in 2024.

No. 3, UCF had six road games and traveled more total miles (Kansas twice, Oklahoma, Texas, Idaho, and Ohio) during those games than any other team. UCF caught a well-deserved break in 2024.

I am a native Floridian . I grew up in the Orlando area in the 70s. I graduated from UCF and I have never ever liked Miami . I can't stand how condescending they are towards programs like UCF . When you watch your team and Alma matter go from Division II to the Big XII you just sick of folks lecturing you of how they do it better . When you root for a program like Miami or Nebraska it is easy to get entitled and think you're so great because 3 to 5 decades ago you were the bomb. Glory days ...in a wink of a young girls eye ...

I hope both teams do great and meet up in the National Championship game.

I like pulling for the underdogs. Been doing it for a long time.

Go Knights, Go Huskers!!!

Reactions: DaShuckster
Nebraska has not had a winning season since 2016. Since that time, its win totals have been 5, 4, 3, 5, 5, and 4 games.
Ugh. Tell me something I don't already know. It's been downright painful. :)
Hype alone means nothing. (See Colorado.) Y'all of all fans should know that living in the shadows of the u, which is perennially put on a pedestal--only to fail to live up to unrealistic expectations again and again.
You probably don't like hearing this, but Nebraska is one of CFB's Bluebloods. Be it Michigan, USC, or Alabama, you're not going to keep one down forever.
UCF, conversely, is a different animal. No. 1, UCF historically exceeds expectations.
Have you noticed the Huskers have a new head coach -- Matt Rhule -- entering his second year? Has he ever exceeded expectations?
No. 2, Gus has transformed the Knights' roster. You have to understand hypeL recruited the nation's 62nd, 56th, 78th, and 60th composite classes. Gus was depending on those guys for the last three seasons. Gus turned over the roster completely in 2024.
Good for Gus. You might want to check out Nebraska's roster turnover since Rhule's arrival.
No. 3, UCF had six road games and traveled more total miles (Kansas twice, Oklahoma, Texas, Idaho, and Ohio) during those games than any other team. UCF caught a well-deserved break in 2024.
In today's Big Dawg CFB, traveling cross-country is the new name of the game. But UCF and Nebraska's schedules are similar in that they start off at home with less-than-daunting opponents. As Knight fans discovered, road games are damn tough in Big Dawg Football. And believe it or not, Nebraska hasn't opened the season at home since Scott Frost's first season as Husker head coach. Last season, the Huskers' first two games of the season were on the road in sold-out stadiums. That's a tough deal for a new head coach. Schedule-wise, the Huskers are catching a long overdue break in 2024.

UCF's current over/under win line is 8.5; Nebraska's is 7.5. This is a UCF board so I understand your Nebraska-trolling. We'll see how it all plays out but if I'm betting, I'd go with both teams exceeding their betting lines.

No reason we shouldn't win 8-9 games next year, however, we are playing a bunch of the new comers so I'm not sure how it will really shake out. I'd call <=7 wins a failure for the 2024 season.

No reason we shouldn't win 8-9 games next year, however, we are playing a bunch of the new comers so I'm not sure how it will really shake out. I'd call <=7 wins a failure for the 2024 season.
As a veteran fan of a team who has gone through a change of conferences, its tough gaining your footing in a new conference. The thing I noticed about UCF's first run through its new conference schedule was the challenge it presented to the Knights' defense.

Since the SF days, UCF has been noted for its high-flying offenses. But Big XII defenses are a hell of a lot better than the defenses they used to face. You can get by with so-so defenses when you can routinely outscore your opponents like they did in the American. But, as we found out, it's much tougher to do that in the Big XII. It'll be interesting to see how this season goes now that Gus and Company have seen first-hand what their new opponents bring.

Reactions: muckdawg24
Have you noticed the Huskers have a new head coach -- Matt Rhule -- entering his second year? Has he ever exceeded expectations?
He did a good job with Cam.
Good for Gus. You might want to check out Nebraska's roster turnover since Rhule's arrival.
I like Year 4 under under Gus more than Year 2 under Matt.
In today's Big Dawg CFB, traveling cross-country is the new name of the game.
True, but not conventionally. Coaches are still adjusting.
But UCF and Nebraska's schedules are similar in that they start off at home with less-than-daunting opponents.
I meant to include that for No. 4, but was pulled away and lost my train of thought. Nebraska has a tough late October and November. But could start fast before petering out like 2023 Colorado.

As Knight fans discovered, road games are damn tough in Big Dawg Football. And believe it or not, Nebraska hasn't opened the season at home since Scott Frost's first season as Husker head coach. Last season, the Huskers' first two games of the season were on the road in sold-out stadiums. That's a tough deal for a new head coach. Schedule-wise, the Huskers are catching a long overdue break in 2024.
True.
UCF's current over/under win line is 8.5; Nebraska's is 7.5. This is a UCF board so I understand your Nebraska-trolling. We'll see how it all plays out but if I'm betting, I'd go with both teams exceeding their betting lines.
Projections of 7 or 8 wins are realistic.

I just can't buy the hype of a team going from 'learning how to win: to 'being a CFP contender' in one season. There are rare exceptions, but they are few and this Nebraska team will not be one of them.

UCF. Nebraska has nothing to offer young men. Nebraska is the past UCF is the future.

Neb average temp in NOV 51-29 DEC 36- 18
Fla average in NOV 78-58 DEC 73-53

Nebraska was good when they got all those 300 lb linemen off the farms, those days are gone. It is all speed.

Last edited:
As a veteran fan of a team who has gone through a change of conferences, its tough gaining your footing in a new conference. The thing I noticed about UCF's first run through its new conference schedule was the challenge it presented to the Knights' defense.

Since the SF days, UCF has been noted for its high-flying offenses. But Big XII defenses are a hell of a lot better than the defenses they used to face. You can get by with so-so defenses when you can routinely outscore your opponents like they did in the American. But, as we found out, it's much tougher to do that in the Big XII. It'll be interesting to see how this season goes now that Gus and Company have seen first-hand what their new opponents bring.
I agree, if we keep up the offense we had last year and improve the defense, we'll get 8/9 wins.

I hate to narrow it down to stopping the run, but being ranked 122nd out of 130 teams and 81st in defense overall, it's hard not too.

Our passing defense wasn't actually that bad:
Passing Yards Allowed 25th
Team Passing Efficiency Defense 22nd

Source: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs

UCF. Nebraska has nothing to offer young men. Nebraska is the past UCF is the future.

Nebraska was good when they got all those 300 lb linemen off the farms, those days are gone. It is all speed.
In the 90s they were getting speed from other states. A good coach can do that now. Has to be a good coach though.

I hate to narrow it down to stopping the run, but being ranked 122nd out of 130 teams and 81st in defense overall, it's hard not too.
I knew it wasn't good---but I didn't know it was THAT bad. It's a credit to Gus and his staff that UCF went bowling last season with that defensive stat. In fact, that's mindboggling.

Over my many years of fandom, I can honestly say there's nothing more frustrating than when your beloved team is incapable of stopping their opponent's running game. Watching Men against Boys has to be The Most Helpless Feeling in the World.

I'm still drinking the UCF kool-aid that it'll be a whole new ballgame this fall. But the fact remains the Knight defense is going to have step up those numbers big-time if they hope to win nine or more games.

I knew it wasn't good---but I didn't know it was THAT bad. It's a credit to Gus and his staff that UCF went bowling last season with that defensive stat. In fact, that's mindboggling.

Over my many years of fandom, I can honestly say there's nothing more frustrating than when your beloved team is incapable of stopping their opponent's running game. Watching Men against Boys has to be The Most Helpless Feeling in the World.

I'm still drinking the UCF kool-aid that it'll be a whole new ballgame this fall. But the fact remains the Knight defense is going to have step up those numbers big-time if they hope to win nine or more games.
Like I have posted before, the key for UCF in 2024 will be controlling the opponent's passing game, not its running game. Only three 2024 opponents (Utah, Cincinnati, and West Virginia) finished among the nation's Top 50 in Rushing Offense.

Utah lists its ELITE RB to Arkansas. UCF got Cincinnati's most explosive RB. West Virginia returns its two two top guys.

Passing Offense is a different story.

Know this: UCF faces five opponents that finished among the nation's Top 50 in passing offense, and the Knights face 6 of the Top 8 quarterbacks, who returned to the Big 12.

David Gibbs was the architect of the UCF pass defense over the last three seasons. He has now moved on. Passing yards allowed and pass efficiency defense, staples under Gibbs, will be key for UCF in 2024. Hopefully, Addison Williams learned something under Gibbs' tutelage. If not, it will be a long season.

Gus didn't sign 9 DBs for nothing!

Translation: Addison is a out to get his oil checked.

BTW, Gus's offense should be incredible again in 2024. Only three 2024 opponents (Utah, Arizona, and Iowa State) finished among the nation's Top 50 in Scoring Defense.

Last edited:
I agree, if we keep up the offense we had last year and improve the defense, we'll get 8/9 wins.

Our passing defense wasn't actually that bad:
Passing Yards Allowed 25th
Team Passing Efficiency Defense 22nd

Source: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs
I would wager that UCF will have a Rushing Defense ranked in the Top 40, possibly Top 25, in 2024.

Teams simply are not going to attack UCF on the ground. The 2024 opponents are going to throw the ball dang near every down.

Cincinnati's Corey Kiner is the ONLY returning 1,000-yard back UCF will face in 2024, and Florida's Montell Jordan, Arizona's Jonah Coleman, and West Virginia's Jahiem White are the ONLY returning 800-yard backs on the schedule.

Cincinnati's Corey Kiner is the ONLY returning 1,000-yard back UCF will face in 2024.
Only three 2024 opponents (Utah, Cincinnati, and West Virginia) finished among the nation's Top 50 in Rushing Offense.
More good news for the UCF rushing defense.

I would wager that UCF will have a Rushing Defense ranked in the Top 40, possibly Top 25, in 2024.
Wow, that's a bold statement considering we've been told their Rushing Defense ranked 122nd last season. Guess we'll see. Maybe the Big XII is different from other conferences. It used to be that coaches put together game plans designed to exploit the opposing teams' weaknesses.

LOL, we'll see goodknightfl. Funny thing, the average temp in Nebraska has gotten warmer since the 1990s when the Huskers won back-to-back natties and kicked Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators all over the field in the Fiesta Bowl.

Until we prove otherwise opponents will run against us. Giving up 191 rushing/game ain't no way I'm putting the ball in the air even if all I have is the most basic zone read schemes.

However I went on a tangent. I really like Rhule and he's done it twice already at Temple and Baylor. Nebby will be back. Honestly I'd love to have him at UCF post Malazahn.

Wow, that's a bold statement considering we've been told their Rushing Defense ranked 122nd last season. Guess we'll see.
Until we prove otherwise opponents will run against us. Giving up 191 rushing/game ain't no way I'm putting the ball in the air even if all I have is the most basic zone read schemes.

I do not think ya'll fully grasp what I am telling you...

IF EVERY 2024 UCF OPPONENT -- EVERY SINGLE ONE (INCLUDING SAM HOUSTON STATE & NEW HAMPSHIRE) -- RUSHED FOR ITS 2023 PER GAME AVERAGE AGAINST THE UCF DEFENSE, THE UCF RUSHING DEFENSE WOULD RANK 44TH NATIONALLY.

Opponent, Rushing Totals

New Hampshire, 115.2 ypg
Sam Houston State, 154.5 ypg
Colorado, 68.8 ypg
Florida, 149.5 ypg
Cincinnati, 217.1 ypg
Iowa State, 119.9 ypg
BYU, 104.3 ypg
Arizona, 139.7 ypg
Arizona State, 111.2 ypg
West Virginia, 228.9 ypg
Utah, 182.5 ypg

1,690.4 yards / 12 games = 140.8 ypg

oklahoma.svg
Oklahoma
purdue.svg
Purdue
old-dominion.svg
Old Dominion
duke.svg
Duke

I do not think ya'll fully grasp what I am telling you...

IF EVERY 2024 UCF OPPONENT -- EVERY SINGLE ONE (INCLUDING SAM HOUSTON STATE & NEW HAMPSHIRE) -- RUSHED FOR ITS 2023 PER GAME AVERAGE AGAINST THE UCF DEFENSE, THE UCF RUSHING DEFENSE WOULD RANK 44TH NATIONALLY.

Opponent, Rushing Totals

New Hampshire, 115.2 ypg
Sam Houston State, 154.5 ypg
Colorado, 68.8 ypg
Florida, 149.5 ypg
Cincinnati, 217.1 ypg
Iowa State, 119.9 ypg
BYU, 104.3 ypg
Arizona, 139.7 ypg
Arizona State, 111.2 ypg
West Virginia, 228.9 ypg
Utah, 182.5 ypg

1,690.4 yards / 12 games = 140.8 ypg

oklahoma.svg
Oklahoma
purdue.svg
Purdue
old-dominion.svg
Old Dominion
duke.svg
Duke
But what you are failing to realize, every team that played us had their best rushing statistical game. So that logic is flawed, we can’t base it off of their team averages, we will elevate those averages to the moon 🚀

However I went on a tangent. I really like Rhule and he's done it twice already at Temple and Baylor. Nebby will be back. Honestly I'd love to have him at UCF post Malazahn.
Hey, muchdawg24, I was about to give your post a big 'like' --- until I read your last sentence. You want to steal Coach Rhule away from Nebraska??!? That's wicked, dude!

I have it on good authority that poaching somebody else's head coach leads to Bad Karma!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: muckdawg24
But what you are failing to realize, every team that played us had their best rushing statistical game. So that logic is flawed, we can’t base it off of their team averages, we will elevate those averages to the moon 🚀
I understand that. UCF gave up 286 rushing yards to West Virginia and 248 to Cincinnati. That's 57 yards and 41 yards, respectively, above their averages.

But there is literally no chance in Hades that New Hampshire and Sam Houston State combine for 260 rushing yards against UCF.

I don't care how you slice it, it will be almost impossible for UCF to be as porous against the run as it was last season.

The Knights' run defense will jump 80 spots in the national rankings.

Improvement of the run defense this season? I would sure as heck hope so.

But jumping 80 spots??!?! I'll believe THAT when I see it.
UCF finished 122 against the run out of 130 teams in 2023. An 80-spot jump would put the Knights' rush defense among the Top 40 nationally.

Ironically, Oklahoma finished 42nd nationally against the run last season under Ted Roof.

Last edited:
Like I have posted before, the key for UCF in 2024 will be controlling the opponent's passing game, not its running game. Only three 2024 opponents (Utah, Cincinnati, and West Virginia) finished among the nation's Top 50 in Rushing Offense.

Utah lists its ELITE RB to Arkansas. UCF got Cincinnati's most explosive RB. West Virginia returns its two two top guys.

Passing Offense is a different story.

Know this: UCF faces five opponents that finished among the nation's Top 50 in passing offense, and the Knights face 6 of the Top 8 quarterbacks, who returned to the Big 12.

David Gibbs was the architect of the UCF pass defense over the last three seasons. He has now moved on. Passing yards allowed and pass efficiency defense, staples under Gibbs, will be key for UCF in 2024. Hopefully, Addison Williams learned something under Gibbs' tutelage. If not, it will be a long season.

Gus didn't sign 9 DBs for nothing!

Translation: Addison is a out to get his oil checked.

BTW, Gus's offense should be incredible again in 2024. Only three 2024 opponents (Utah, Arizona, and Iowa State) finished among the nation's Top 50 in Scoring Defense.
You are so clueless. UCF got pushed around and bullied on the trenches and that’s why they went 3-7 vs P5 teams.

Boys finished 122/130 against the run but here you are saying that stopping the run is not a priority for UCF in 2024. The first thing teams will do is run up the middle against UCF.

LOL. What a dummy. Just run up the middle after run up the middle. No need to pass…hot knife through butter.

Last edited:
You are so clueless. UCF got pushed around and bullied on the trenches and that’s why they went 3-7 vs P5 teams.
And just how many of those teams that "pushed around and bullied" UCF are on the 2024 schedule?

Cincinnati and West Vagina you say? Welp.

I can guaran-d*mn-tee the quality of offensive lines that UCF faced in 2023 will far exceed the quality of offensive lines it faced in 2024.
Boys finished 122/130 against the run but here you are saying that stopping the run is not a priority for UCF in 2024. The first thing teams will do is run up the middle against UCF.
Which running game of the NINE OPPONENTS who finished 70th (TCU)-130th (Colorado) in Rushing Offense nationally should UCF fear?

What specific running back(s) scares UCF? Cincinnati's, Florida's, Arizona's West Virginia's?
LOL. What a dummy.
Again, you are ssssoooo sensitive and insecure about calling players names, such as chicken eaters, eh?

By the way you still haven't addressed this issue.

In the 90s they were getting speed from other states. A good coach can do that now. Has to be a good coach though.
In Neb case it will have to be a great coach. They had Osburn back then. I think Frost was an ok coach, but he couldn't sell Nebraska to kids. Not many can.

In Neb case it will have to be a great coach. They had Osburn back then. I think Frost was an ok coach, but he couldn't sell Nebraska to kids. Not many can.
LOL @ Your usual hogwash, goodknightfl. Selling Nebraska is hard??!?

FYI, Nebraska just wrapped up a Top 20 recruiting class that included the nation's top five-star QB.

Hey, muchdawg24, I was about to give your post a big 'like' --- until I read your last sentence. You want to steal Coach Rhule away from Nebraska??!? That's wicked, dude!

I have it on good authority that poaching somebody else's head coach leads to Bad Karma!!!!
Just wishful thinking on my part. If we had a shot, that would mean he failed at Nebraska.

Reactions: DaShuckster
I will confess, I've flip-flopped on AuburnLegacy's proclamation. I thought an 80 point jump in one season was pure fantasyland. But then I got curious and looked up what kind of jump Nebraska made last season under its new defensive coordinator, Tony White.

I discovered that the Nebraska Blackshirts':
Rush Defense went from #108 in 2022 to #9 in 2023 (99 point jump)
Pass Defense went from #68 in 2022 to #40 in 2023 (28 point jump)
Total Defense went from #100 in 2022 to #11 in 2023 (89 point jump)

You'd think with those numbers, the Huskers would've been rockstars last season. But here's the REST of the story: NU led the nation in turnovers. :)

Long-story short, AuburnLegacy's prediction doesn't sound so far-fetched to me anymore. If UCF's defense makes this kind of improvement (same with Nebraska's O), both teams could well be potential playoff teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT