ADVERTISEMENT

***UCF RB Isaiah Bowser: 'We have a chance to be really good'***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

Isaiah Bowser is feeling better than ever.

Returning for a fifth year and his second in Orlando, the UCF running back is back to 100 percent after a season plagued by injury. Now in the midst of spring practice, he's looking forward to his final collegiate season.

Bowser caught up with the media on Saturday following UCF's third practice and first day of full pads:

Coach Gus Malzahn was wearing Bowser's t-shirt just a few minutes earlier.

"It's awesome he wore that," Bowser said. "It shows the kind of coach we have. Players coach. He's here to support us and make sure we're great all the time. I love to play for a guy like that. NIL gives us the opportunity to build our brand. It's definitely great we can do things like that nowadays."

How was the first day of pads?

"It was good getting the pads back on. We haven't played in a long time. I think everybody did a good job today. More than I had expected for us to be moving so well so early. We've had a good start to spring ball."

He was hobbled a bit last season with injuries that forced him to miss five games. How is he feeling now?

"That's all in the past," Bowser said. "I feel 100 percent. I'm ready to compete and keep getting better and better every day."

What's his early take on the quarterback competition?

"Right now, there's no clear cut anything right now. All those guys are competing. We're splitting the reps. Everybody is going with the ones. You know how it is. Ones, twos or threes aren't so important right now. We're just getting in the flow of things. I've been impressed with all those guys."

mhvcucct4yyaqzqjmuxd

Gus Malzahn had mentioned earlier they were treating Bowser "like an NFL guy" in terms of managing his body.

"Me coming back, that's one thing he mentioned, to treat me more like an NFL guy in terms of my body," Bowser said. "He got me into yoga. Now I go a couple times a week. That really helps me feel lose and ready to go for each practice."

I asked more about the yoga sessions, whether a lot of guys participate.

"It's whoever wants to come on the team," Bowser said. "We've had a handful of guys. Probably 10-plus every time. A lot of older guys go mainly. A few younger guys. Old guys like me and Ryan Swoboda. We're trying to get our body in tune and ready to go. It's right over here in our facility. Coach hired an instructor to come and teach us yoga for about an hour."

What are the benefits?

"Stretching is the main thing," Bowser said. "It helps with mind and body. It connects you to your body. Your breathing. It's really beneficial to me."

Earlier, Gus seemed giddy when talking about the running back depth and said they could feature two-RB sets this year.

"Our running back room has a lot of explosive guys," Bowser said. "Guys that can really make plays. I think getting two of us on the field is going to be really dangerous."

How are the new offensive line transfers doing?

"Those guys, they got into it quick coming into a new offense," Bowser said. "You can tell they're veteran guys who have played a lot of football. They adapted quick, knowing the plays. They've been great. I've been really impressed with how they've performed so well."

And what is he getting from the defense, particularly on the first day of pads?

"Defense brought physicality," Bowser said. "Those guys were coming downhill, but we were hitting them too. There were a lot of big collisions today. You can tell guys are hungry and trying to earn their spot."

I asked who had the "play of the day" on offense.

"I think one was Trillion Coles," Bowser said. "He made a move with a spin. That was pretty sweet."

I asked about the new tight end transfer Kemore Gamble, who was a former starter at Florida.

"Another play I could have mentioned - he made a diving catch today," Bowser said. "He's come in and been a leader right away. He's played a ton of ball in college, just like I have. He's fitting in well. I think he's a great addition to our offense."

And what about wide receiver Kobe Hudson, who was Auburn's No. 1 target last year?

"Kobe has stepped up performing well," Bowser said. "Making good catches one on one, elusive with the ball too. I'm excited to see how he can take his game to the next level this season."

How good can this offense be?

"We have a chance to be really good," Bowser said. "We plugged the holes. We're just getting things together right now. Seeing the potential out there is really encouraging. I think we have a chance to be really good."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News