ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Sammy Game Day Thread

I like how Montgomery hustles ball to ref to spot it and is in a hurry to line up and go. Then Gus sits and waits and lets D make subs. Come on Gus, push the pace every once in a while. Make D gasp for air.
The refs were doing it, not Gus. So many times we didn't sub, and the refs let the D. Never seen that ... repeatedly ... in a game. Not just once or twice, but so many times.

Worst refs in a long time on that front.

Reactions: Robert0122
The refs were doing it, not Gus. So many times we didn't sub, and the refs let the D. Never seen that ... repeatedly ... in a game. Not just once or twice, but so many times.

Worst refs in a long time on that front.
Was Gus complaining? Even after ball was set we never snapped ball right away. Seems to me Gus talks all the way until coms shut off with 15 seconds left on clock.

Was Gus complaining? Even after ball was set we never snapped ball right away. Seems to me Gus talks all the way until coms shut off with 15 seconds left on clock.
We were pounding them into submission. No need to complain. Gus got the execution pre-snap. That was 'the practice.'

I don't mind eating a little crow, Thank the Good Lord, he looked much better this week.
I concur....he appears to have done a 180...looked more comfortable and focused. Now let's see if he can do even better on the road against a 2-0 TCU that beat Stanford in Pal Alto.

Reactions: connerito
I like how Montgomery hustles ball to ref to spot it and is in a hurry to line up and go. Then Gus sits and waits and lets D make subs. Come on Gus, push the pace every once in a while. Make D gasp for air.
Yep...Gus talks about playing up tempo but can't seem to do it more than once or twice a game. It's been that way for 3 years. And I agree, Montgomery is the perfect back for up tempo play calling.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I'm still not convinced that KJ is going to put this team on his back and take us anywhere. 12/15 felt like 2/15. How does a guy with that size and strength manage to throw so many rainbows (especially screen throws)? Players are "waiting" for the ball to get to them before being able to turn upfield. I think better, faster defenders are going to pick some of those off if he doesn't put more zip on the ball. He still lacks confidence.

This may not be on him but there were many plays with guys poorly covered or uncovered and he doesn't even look their way, kinda like we saw with Sock Boy under Heup, like he's really only looking at half the field. I wish I could figure out how to post snippets in here. I just watched a 10 minute highlight video of the game and put a couple below

18 seconds - Guy on jet sweep is basically uncovered.
7:13 - The WR at the top of screen was already open for a TD on a deep slant if he had just thrown it...he hesitates as if he wanted to throw it to the other WR going to the corner of the endzone but he never tries that throw as well....he gets his arm hit...Sam Houston recovers

What I have liked so far:
1) Our defense has been putting consistent pressure both games and we have been shutting teams down.
2) The run game speaks for itself. We are blessed with quality depth. It looks like we can do serious damage on the ground.

After one drive in the 3rd quarter where KJ threw a confident deep bomb, then threw a confident out-pattern, my 9-3 prediction has gone from 6-6 to 7-5 this point. There seems like a lot of upside in the passing game. Is it going to happen is the question. Maybe the laugh is on me and this is some epic rope-a-dope with the passing game. KJ and staff can prove me wrong.

KJ looked better but the real test is ongoing starting at TCU Man he has a TON of talent around him. The RB room is amazing. Defensive scheme is a big upgrade. Love the hire

Yep. It’s why it bothers me that Gus didn’t use these games more effectively in terms of working on things other than our strengths. I don’t believe we worked on a 2 minute drill scenario and obviously we hardly passed the ball. That’s not approp coaching IMHO.
I agree and I am bothered by the fact he didn't give backup players enough playing time. What happens if/when we need them? Are we expecting to go injury free this season?

I'm happy to say that I was wrong about KJ and we do have a QB this season.
No, he isn't Cam but with the team we have he is good enough to make this
an exciting season.

We have GOT to get Pittman more involved. Loved that screen pass to him but the guy can create matchup knightmares against LBs.

I'm really digging Montgomery, that guy is hungry.

DBs and LBs look better again this week, hoping this continues against B12 foes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT