ADVERTISEMENT

UCF softball in. One of the Last 4 in

Eric Lopez seemed pretty confident all weekend that UCF was in. I know their RPI was strong, but it seems to me like their resume was pretty weak.

Combined 0-13 (!!) against the four other Big 12 teams that made the tournament (Tex, OU, OKST, BAY).

Also lost to tournament participants Oregon, Mississippi St., Missouri, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Only wins this season against teams in the tournament: FAU, Liberty, Princeton.

Eric Lopez seemed pretty confident all weekend that UCF was in. I know their RPI was strong, but it seems to me like their resume was pretty weak.

Combined 0-13 (!!) against the four other Big 12 teams that made the tournament (Tex, OU, OKST, BAY).

Also lost to tournament participants Oregon, Mississippi St., Missouri, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Only wins this season against teams in the tournament: FAU, Liberty, Princeton.
Confident when u r the last 4 in is unjustified. But they got in. Charge on

Reactions: B R Knightz2
My first softball game ever been to. UCF had a rough 2nd inning. Second basemen with fielding error ending up cost runs. Passed ball by catcher scored 2.

UCF softball couldn’t dig out of an early hole, falling to 15th-seed Florida State, 5-1 on Day 2 of the NCAA Tallahassee Regional Saturday at JoAnne Graf Field.

Saturday’s game was the second consecutive season in which these two programs have met in the NCAA Regional, with UCF also falling short in a 5-1 loss to FSU on May 20, 2023. The Knights have lost 15 straight to the Seminoles since 2011.

I’ve been meaning to ask someone for 2 years now to tell me why the hell Sarah Willis has such a busy, heavy intensive wind up? I’ve never seen this before and for good reason…she does 2 “air squats” every pitch! The absolute malpractice of every coach she’s ever had. Ball Malone should also be ashamed and embarrassed..like, keep your legs fresh and maybe you can finish games or pitch a double header. Crazy man. I can’t even imagine the toll on the body and affect it has on her pitching throughout the game. Imagine if she had fresh legs. Crazy, crazy malpractice. Out there sweating her ass off, doing unnecessary things, Jesus.

• Dislike
Reactions: Square Knight
Just a follow up…she was throwing 69mph consistently first few innings. She’s throwing 64-66mph now. Wonder why? Unbelievable how an upper echelon college coaching staff who “knows what they are doing” could not change bad mechanics. Just goes to show, women’s sports are a joke. Sorry if that offends but it’s true.

Imagine if Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, insert any other elite Pro Baseball power pitcher does a squat before each pitch…it’s been documented that pro pitchers taking :10 secs in between pitches are wayyy more successful than those who don’t. Insert the pitch clock and it changed the game, and they aren’t squatting before each pitch either. This is a gross negligence…

Let’s blame “tic tok” Terry though, clearly his fault. Def his fault for UCF not getting on the EA NCAA cover… smh 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Square Knight
I’ve been meaning to ask someone for 2 years now to tell me why the hell Sarah Willis has such a busy, heavy intensive wind up? I’ve never seen this before and for good reason…she does 2 “air squats” every pitch! The absolute malpractice of every coach she’s ever had. Ball Malone should also be ashamed and embarrassed..like, keep your legs fresh and maybe you can finish games or pitch a double header. Crazy man. I can’t even imagine the toll on the body and affect it has on her pitching throughout the game. Imagine if she had fresh legs. Crazy, crazy malpractice. Out there sweating her ass off, doing unnecessary things, Jesus.
It’s how she is able to use ground force to throw as hard as she does. If you watch her last move before the arm circle you will see her push down to generate that force.

She threw 150+ pitches so of course she was losing velocity. It isn’t bad mechanics she did it throughout her career with a very high level of success. She threw a perfect game last year doing that same thing the entire game. If she was an ineffective pitcher, then yes change her routine, but what she does works extremely well for her and no coaching staff is going to change the way an All-Conference pitcher works her magic.

I have also seen games where she plays left field, bats and also pitches. She is an amazing athlete.

It’s how she is able to use ground force to throw as hard as she does. If you watch her last move before the arm circle you will see her push down to generate that force.

She threw 150+ pitches so of course she was losing velocity. It isn’t bad mechanics she did it throughout her career with a very high level of success. She threw a perfect game last year doing that same thing the entire game. If she was an ineffective pitcher, then yes change her routine, but what she does works extremely well for her and no coaching staff is going to change the way an All-Conference pitcher works her magic.

I have also seen games where she plays left field, bats and also pitches. She is an amazing athlete.
Not arguing her athletic ability. And I understand using lower body mechanics to push off the rubber and generate force/velocity. I’m referring to the extreme unnecessary squat/lunge she does in her “wind up” before her move to the plate that has nothing to do with her throwing motion. Can a great athlete be effective with bad mechanics? Surely. Have you ever done lunges? They are brutal man.

I’d have loved to see how effective she could have been without so much wasted energy and unnecessary self inflicted fatigue.

On a side note, the Auburn pitcher threw over 220 pitches and struck out over 20 UCF batters. Crazy.

Last edited:
Not arguing her athletic ability. And I understand using lower body mechanics to push off the rubber and generate force/velocity. I’m referring to the extreme unnecessary squat/lunge she does in her “wind up” before her move to the plate that has nothing to do with her throwing motion. Can a great athlete be effective with bad mechanics? Surely. Have you ever done lunges? They are brutal man.

I’d have loved to see how effective she could have been without so much wasted energy and unnecessary self inflicted fatigue.

On a side note, the Auburn pitcher threw over 220 pitches and struck out over 20 UCF batters. Crazy.
That Auburn pitcher is special and UCF doesn’t have elite hitting at the moment. Good hitters, but also holes in the lineup that kill momentum.

Softball pitchers are idiosyncratic. They all have their own way of launching. Even within UCF’s staff there are as many different styles as there are pitchers. I’ve been working with my daughter the last two years on pitching and she has a style that works for her but certainly isn’t as labor intensive as Sarah’s.

That deep squat might help her with leg activation or serve as a reminder to drive hard. She can hit 70 which is elite.

Perhaps if there was another level for her to play at she would adjust her style to be more efficient, but she threw 200 pitches last night, between 10:30 and 3 something AM, and stayed in the mid 60s. That’s insane.

Oh yea! Another couch coach making assumptions without knowing anything about when or why she developed her current pitching motion. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
FSU ended up beating Auburn to advance. Nice to have home advantage! T.Mo needs to work on improving the softball team. It's a fun spectator sport in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT