ADVERTISEMENT

UCF SPRING GAME TAKEAWAYS: John Rhys Plumlee completes baseball-football doubleheader

The 5 star transfer rb from Clemson then UF DeMarkus Bowman is a great addition. He sat out all last year because of two schools already but is ready to go this year and during all practices and game it showed he will probably be feature back followed by RJ Harvey and Johnny Richardson. UCF had a wr out all last year due to injury and he looked great during spring game in Jarrad Baker and then Javon Baker (no relation) looked great along with Kobe Hudson. Even though they are still working on the perfect combination OL will be better than last year and loosing Matt Lee to the portal won't make a dent because of the transfers in. DL will be the heart of the defense. JRP looked the best of the qb rotation with Tommy #2 and usf transfer Timmy McCain at #3. New offensive coordinator Darrin Hinshaw is promising more down hill passing and quicker tempo and he has taken over the play calling from Gus. The spring game was well attended with announced of more than 16,000 which rivals the rock star welcome the first year of Scott Frost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Central Floridave
Even though they are still working on the perfect combination OL will be better than last year and loosing Matt Lee to the portal won't make a dent because of the transfers in.

I agree with all your points, save he OL. I think there is/will be much more quality depth this fall, but I am not sold on the 2023 starting five being better than last year's starting unit of Grable, Pauole, Lee, Jackson, and Swoboda. That was a Top 35 offensive line nationally.

I also do not think UCF has successfully replaced Lee. Herb Hand wouldn't be so "excited" about Drake Metcalf joining the team this summer if Schmidt or Kitler was the answer.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I agree with all your points, save he OL. I think there is/will be much more quality depth this fall, but I am not sold on the 2023 starting five being better than last year's starting unit of Grable, Pauole, Lee, Jackson, and Swoboda. That was a Top 35 offensive line nationally.

I also do not think UCF has successfully replaced Lee. Herb Hand wouldn't be so "excited" about Drake Metcalf joining the team this summer if Schmidt or Kitler was the answer.
I am shocked with your information that the 2022 UCF offensive line was ranked top 35. From what i remember both JRP and Mikey Keene were being hurried every pass play. In fact it is why TC when he went in on conference championship game faltered, he had his timing disrupted and wasn't use to that as a true freshman

Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT