ADVERTISEMENT

UCF to receive $90 Million in OC Tourist Tax $$$ that will help build new Stadium Tower at the Bounce House

Here was President Dr Cartwright and AD Terry Mojahir's presentation and Q&A:

Could look like this...as Mohajir would like them completed by 2025:

original.jpg;resize(1100,_).jpg

NOTE: UCF has had a waiting list for suite purchases ever since the stadium opened in 2007 and now demand for suites, boxes and club seats is soaring even higher.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
for 90m i would hope they could give the stadium a facade all around as well.
No...don't think any $$ are going to aesthetics as every dollar spent has to bring in multiple times that in new revenue. (Like in this project with dozens of high $$ suites, boxes, club seating, etc...). Plus, the new tower will be used for events, away game watch parties, parties, meetings, weddings, etc....year round for another revenue stream.

Also...the Bounce House is far from finished (most likely a new South End Zone Tower Club in 8-10 years) and total replacement of the lower bowl by 2040 or so.

Only when you have F U money to throw again just to make things look nice (that don't bring in one new $$ of revenue) do you worry about how it might look to others.

Reactions: Asphalt.Jungle
No...don't think any $$ are going to aesthetics as every dollar spent has to bring in multiple times that in new revenue. (Like in this project with dozens of high $$ suites, boxes, club seating, etc...). Plus, the new tower will be used for events, away game watch parties, parties, meetings, weddings, etc....year round for another revenue stream.

Also...the Bounce House is far from finished (most likely a new South End Zone Tower Club in 8-10 years) and total replacement of the lower bowl by 2040 or so.

Only when you have F U money to throw again just to make things look nice (that don't bring in one new $$ of revenue) do you worry about how it might look to others.
that's my answer right there. no point in spending on a facade that would be attached to the lower bowl in some way if it's going to be replaced completely. i forgot they said it had a 50 year lifespan when it opened.

Reactions: Knight_Light

NOTE: UCF has had a waiting list for suite purchases ever since the stadium opened in 2007 and now demand for suites, boxes and club seats is soaring even higher.
Looking at those renderings vs the current stadium, looking at where the tower is in relation to the sections in front of it, there doesn't appear to be that many more boxes than the current one other than 1 extra level. Like the tower suites look like they physically sit in the same spot as the current ones just the exterior looks renovated.

when would they break ground ?

and would it effect playing at the stadium while ongoing? bc the original one would obviously be torn down

Tear down the old tower and replace it with one almost twice as big and from goal line to goal line.
Would love to build a TV / media tower on the east side, flip the UCF logos on the field to face east, and air games with UCFs bench and the main Roth Tower in the background. That side of the stadium is always full, and the tower would make our stadium appear massive.

and would it effect playing at the stadium while ongoing? bc the original one would obviously be torn down
What part of there’s no money to build this now do you guys fail to understand? All of you all a bunch of t-shirt fans? Maybe you all majored in sociology, human studies, psychology or some rubbish like that?

That's a really good question and if not, where would we play?

something like that could be built from december to the end of august.
It does take longer but a half completed tower could be secured so games can be played Sept-Nov and then construction restarted.

That's basically what ECU did when they built their new $60 Million tower.

What part of there’s no money to build this now do you guys fail to understand? All of you all a bunch of t-shirt fans? Maybe you all majored in sociology, human studies, psychology or some rubbish like that?
They just was awarded the Orange County tourist tax money that many agencies bid for. We just so happen to be the lucky people awarded it. 90 mill over 10 years to be put into the athletic village. They are wanting to boost tourism and create a venue that is used for not just UCF events.

Can't believe they won that! 90mill being handed over to be put into the sports venues is pretty amazing.
President Cartwright and AD Terry Mohajir deserve a ton of credit (and their support staffs).

This is the first time UCF will be receiving ANY Tourist Tax Dollars in the history of our University.

Holy cow, UCF isn’t messing around.

I’m an Alumni and fan but this is a waste of tax dollars. This should be privately funded.
I agree. This doesn't sit right to me. For one, I hate tourism tax. It's a tax that's easy to get past the voters because it's a tax on 'others', ie: people who don't live here. The problem is that when one city increases the tourism tax, the others will decide they are "behind" and want to follow suit. Now all the places we go to tourist are charging more in tax.

It also makes tourism in this area more expensive which causes fewer people to come here or for the people who do to spend fewer days. If there's "excess money" give it back. Let the tourists spend more on the attractions, shops, and restaurants rather than having it go to the government.

Second, with the county being the largest donor now, what direct power (or leverage) is the county commission going to have over the facilities or even the program?

• Haha
Reactions: Knight_Light
I’m an Alumni and fan but this is a waste of tax dollars. This should be privately funded.

This is more of a rhetorical question, but what is a non-waste of this money. For example, the Magic are owned by a billionaire, It is a private company. But the City of Orlando, using the same Tourist Tax money paid for most (almost all) of the arena that they play in.

This happens everywhere, tax payers pay for venues all the time instead of other things like public infrastructure.

The only difference in this case is that the “tax” dollars come from tourist who don’t live in the area. And the money is collected specifically to spend on things that bring more tourists to the city. UCF brings plenty of visiting teams to town for sports events. There are what, 15 hotels in the UCF area partially because of these visitors.

The money is being spent on what it is collected for. There are plenty of other taxes that go to waste, this doesn’t feel like one of them.

It also makes tourism in this area more expensive which causes fewer people to come here or for the people who do to spend fewer days.
Actual, results and studies show you are wrong as 2022 was thr busiest year ever in regards to Orange County Tourist Tax Dollars and the record number of visitors to our area (over 74 Million in one year).

Weird how for decades, no one had issues with ALL the tourism tax $$ going to the Convention Center or Camping World Stadium or Amway Center or Dr Phillips Performing Arts Center but suddenly have issues with UCF getting 3% of the annual tourist tax $ total.

Heck, unlike Camping World Stadium, the Bounce House has a full-time tenant, plus UCF is hosting 2 Bowl Games and UCF's Indoor Practice Facility was key to get thr NFL Pro Bowl back to Orlando as it will host the skills Competition.

Also, as Terry Mojahir and President Cartwright pointed out, UCF's bid for a tiny share of the tourist tax was the only bid that had skin in the game (i.e. UCF will be raising and financing on their own the final $188 Million for Athletic Village Upgrades...as none of the other bidders were using one dime of their own funds for their project wish lists).

Actual, results and studies show you are wrong as 2022 was thr busiest year ever in regards to Orange County Tourist Tax Dollars and the record number of visitors to our area (over 74 Million in one year).

That's actually not true:

2022 was slightly below 2019 and 2018 levels.

What I am saying is that in general whatever you tax you get less of, and whatever your subsidize you get more of. It's basic economics.

But like I said, taxes on "other people" are easiest to raise without backlash from the voters.

My point is If we had less tourism tax, some of the visitors might spend that same money on attractions and shops instead, having a better experience while here and having the money go to things that the tourists wanted (ie: the things they chose to spend money at), rather than going to the government to spend on sporting venues that primarily benefit the locals.

Weird how for decades, no one had issues with ALL the tourism tax $$ going to the Convention Center or Camping World Stadium or Amway Center or Dr Phillips Performing Arts Center but suddenly have issues with UCF getting 3% of the annual tourist tax $ total.

You don't know what I have issues with and don't, or what taxpayer-funded sporting venues I've had issues with in the past.

Heck, unlike Camping World Stadium, the Bounce House has a full-time tenant, plus UCF is hosting 2 Bowl Games and UCF's Indoor Practice Facility was key to get thr NFL Pro Bowl back to Orlando as it will host the skills Competition.

"Full time tenant" means 6 days out of 365 this year. 7 if you count the spring game.

Are you counting the Hula Bowl as a bowl? (8314 in Attendance this January)

This shows one bowl:

There are 9 events on the Camping World stadium home page between now and March. Lack of a "full time" tenant doesn't seem to be hurting them.

But all this matters little to the original point.

Also, as Terry Mojahir and President Cartwright pointed out, UCF's bid for a tiny share of the tourist tax was the only bid that had skin in the game (i.e. UCF will be raising and financing on their own the final $188 Million for Athletic Village Upgrades...as none of the other bidders were using one dime of their own funds for their project wish lists).

That's great. Don't get me wrong, the county made the right decision _who_ to give it to, and it'll be obviously good for UCF in a lot of ways. I don't like the influence the county could now have in our program. $90M isn't going to come without strings.

I'm sure the commissioners and their staffs will get some priority box seating though. It's great when you can get perks for spending other people's money.

I don't like the influence the county could now have in our program. $90M isn't going to come without strings.
OC won't have any influence on how UCF Athletics will be run.

UCF Athletics expects the new Tower Club/Conf Area to be rented out dozens of times throughout the year...helping being in revenue to UCFAA each and every month

OC won't have any influence on how UCF Athletics will be run.

UCF Athletics expects the new Tower Club/Conf Area to be rented out dozens of times throughout the year...helping being in revenue to UCFAA each and every month

I hope it all works out that way.

We can agree to disagree in our concerns about it or the broader issues of local government. We'll see how it goes.

I wish they would build some shade for us. That baylor game was blistering hot in the North end zone.

Also, a craft beer garden. :p
New Tower will bring more shade to the NW and SW Corners and provide great shade.foe thr West Side.

I sit about 27 rows up on the West Side 40 yd line (closest to South End Zone) and was in complete shade during pregame at 3 pm last week.

Reactions: Central Floridave
Jealous. I've had multiple skin cancers cut out. I forgot sunscreen and didn't have long sleeve shirt. It was everything I could do to avoid the sun. I'm in the NW corner so any reprieve would be great.

Looking forward to the improvements. And, I'm totally stoked that I could get an IPA from a local brewery last game. Take my money...

Jealous. I've had multiple skin cancers cut out. I forgot sunscreen and didn't have long sleeve shirt. It was everything I could do to avoid the sun. I'm in the NW corner so any reprieve would be great.

Looking forward to the improvements. And, I'm totally stoked that I could get an IPA from a local brewery last game. Take my money...
Always carry sunscreen in your tailgate kit (or at least a small bottle in your car).

Its Sept...still summer in FL so yes, sun can easily burn.

Reactions: Central Floridave
I do always keep sunscreen in my car. I'm a surfer. I use it all the time. But, last minute we took my wife's car. Thus, no sunscreen. Couldn't find any to buy on campus either. Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT