ADVERTISEMENT

UCF to receive $90 Million in OC Tourist Tax $$$ that will help build new Stadium Tower at the Bounce House

Why would they not just build a new tower on the east side to get more premium boxes? Is there something wrong with the existing tower?

I agree. This doesn't sit right to me. For one, I hate tourism tax. It's a tax that's easy to get past the voters because it's a tax on 'others', ie: people who don't live here. The problem is that when one city increases the tourism tax, the others will decide they are "behind" and want to follow suit. Now all the places we go to tourist are charging more in tax.

It also makes tourism in this area more expensive which causes fewer people to come here or for the people who do to spend fewer days. If there's "excess money" give it back. Let the tourists spend more on the attractions, shops, and restaurants rather than having it go to the government.

Second, with the county being the largest donor now, what direct power (or leverage) is the county commission going to have over the facilities or even the program?
I have never in my life avoided traveling to a place due to whats on my hotel bill.

Why would they not just build a new tower on the east side to get more premium boxes? Is there something wrong with the existing tower?
isn't the Wayne Densch Center for Student-Athlete Leadership already there. maybe they could build a new tower around and on top of it. i always thought that if they were going to put buildings in front of the stadium, it should be incorporated into the stadium. e.g. the WDCSAL should be as high as the stadium and look like a part of it.

UCF-WD-FRAZIER-KZFWHARTON-USE-ONLY-AERIAL-1-1280x0-c-default.jpg

Last edited:
FSU has done this a couple of times.

Their erector set upgrade back in the early 90's came from tax dollar funding and now Leon County awarded them $20M for renovations.

https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-new...local-tax-dollars-for-stadium-safety-upgrades

Additionally, many Florida pro stadiums continue to receive money through legislative appropriations. Hardrock Stadium, TIAA Field, Tropicana Field, and Amalie Arena all have received almost $50M since 1994 in tax funding.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Hosting bowl games and other events requires infrastructure and amenities to compete with other venues for the business. The county will see the benefit of an improved stadium at the university of drawing more business to that portion of Orange County.

They won’t spend this money on actual needs of the county, that’s been proven time and time again.

Was Terry drunk during that presentation?
Literally resigned up to Rivals just to ask this.

After watching that presentation that Cartwright and Terry made, it’s blatantly apparent just how incompetent and unprofessional Terry is at his position.

First, his public speaking skills are atrocious. As a Vice President of a large public university, how is it that you have lesser public speaking skills compared to that of a high school valedictorian at graduation?

Second, you’re standing in front of the Orange County board of commissioners asking for $90 MILLION DOLLARS and you stand there with both hands in your suit pockets?! Hitt would have never stood next to such a second rate hack.

This program is in trouble with this idiot in control.

Literally resigned up to Rivals just to ask this.

After watching that presentation that Cartwright and Terry made, it’s blatantly apparent just how incompetent and unprofessional Terry is at his position.

First, his public speaking skills are atrocious. As a Vice President of a large public university, how is it that you have lesser public speaking skills compared to that of a high school valedictorian at graduation?

Second, you’re standing in front of the Orange County board of commissioners asking for $90 MILLION DOLLARS and you stand there with both hands in your suit pockets?! Hitt would have never stood next to such a second rate hack.

This program is in trouble with this idiot in control.
He got the money right? Mission accomplished. STFU

This is more of a rhetorical question, but what is a non-waste of this money. For example, the Magic are owned by a billionaire, It is a private company. But the City of Orlando, using the same Tourist Tax money paid for most (almost all) of the arena that they play in.

This happens everywhere, tax payers pay for venues all the time instead of other things like public infrastructure.

The only difference in this case is that the “tax” dollars come from tourist who don’t live in the area. And the money is collected specifically to spend on things that bring more tourists to the city. UCF brings plenty of visiting teams to town for sports events. There are what, 15 hotels in the UCF area partially because of these visitors.

The money is being spent on what it is collected for. There are plenty of other taxes that go to waste, this doesn’t feel like one of them.
Plus, just think of it as payback for all the traffic the tourists make us drive through.

SIAP but has there been any word on when the new tower (take down of the current tower) will start?

Reactions: upallknight
I still don't see a craft beer garten in that presentation. :p

Doesn't UCF have a beer brewing class? Let the students practice brewing and selling their wares at games.

Money maker and business experience for the students.

Make a RJ Harvey Lager...NIL money opportunity.

KJ Jefferson Stout.

Gus Malts-han Hefeweizen

Black & Gold Ale

Bouncehouse IPA

:p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT