ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs SMU Game Thread ⚔️🖤💛

Ok, but why did it take 6+ quarters from them to realize this?
My take also....... JRP passing game was crap the first half going into to game 5 he hasn't shown any consistency in his passing game. The second half was the first time this year he showed promise. Now Gus needs to figure out how to get JRP in a passing rhythm much sooner in the game. Maybe some adjustments on play calling would help. Nobody expects JRP to be on target for every pass, but before the second half last night I wasn't even sure he could run a 2 minute offense! This may be harsh, but I think many saw it this way. With that said I was very happy with his performance in the second half. Charge On!

Ok, but why did it take 6+ quarters from them to realize this?
Ask Gus and Chip....but let's face it, Gus is not a young guy and you're still seeing some of the playbook that worked for him in 2013. Most defenses figured out how to stop that years ago. That's why he struggled his last few years at Auburn. But, although he's stubborn, he's also a smart guy. It just takes him awhile to admit that old playbook doesn't always work, and adjustments are in order. Now will he go back to Gus being Gus for an entire half (or even a full game like with Louisville) or will he be prepared to adjust early in games going forward? We'll see.

I was worried about this in the pre season. aac Refs in a close game could really F us. The usf game I swear they were letting them hold last season
It's part of football getting bad and good calls, but the 2 pass interference calls seemed petty. If the defender is making a play for the ball they should not call that as they both have a right to go for the ball. I'm not sure what else the defender could have done short of just letting the receiver catch the ball. I hope the officials go back and reevaluate the call made.

It's part of football getting bad and good calls, but the 2 pass interference calls seemed petty. If the defender is making a play for the ball they should not call that as they both have a right to go for the ball. I'm not sure what else the defender could have done short of just letting the receiver catch the ball. I hope the officials go back and reevaluate the call made.
Seems like we got one make up call on SMUs 4th down pass into the endzone. That was definitely PI on us but ref kept the flag in his pants.

Hope they drop the highlights for last nights game soon. I found some on youtube but couldnt stand the sound of that commentaters voice again

Reactions: Yaes
Why do people assume there's such a thing as makeup call? If you're a ref and you made a bad call, and you know you made a bad call, then why didn't you pick up the first flag and say "there is no foul for pass interference," as they sometimes do? To give a makeup call you have to know that you did one wrong. If you think you did one wrong, why didn't you just wave it off at the time?

It's not like basketball where you already whistled the play to stop. The play is already stopped.

The one in the end zone was not PI. Maybe offensive, as the receiver was pushing on the defender with his hands.

Reactions: Yaes
speaking of bad commenters, about ten minutes prior to espn2 showing the game on their vegas show, the one guy comes on and calls us UCLF. No one corrected him. At least the lady commenter corrected herself when she called our conference the ACC. That's the least they can do rather than just ignore it.

Why do people assume there's such a thing as makeup call? If you're a ref and you made a bad call, and you know you made a bad call, then why didn't you pick up the first flag and say "there is no foul for pass interference," as they sometimes do? To give a makeup call you have to know that you did one wrong. If you think you did one wrong, why didn't you just wave it off at the time?

It's not like basketball where you already whistled the play to stop. The play is already stopped.

The one in the end zone was not PI. Maybe offensive, as the receiver was pushing on the defender with his hands.
It might take a few plays (and player complaints) for them to fully process that they made a bad call.

Reactions: OtterKnight

While there is no such thing a "make up" call, there are definitely missed calls. The real irony is that if he was "making up" up for a missed flag, he has to do it with another missed flag and he looks really bad. To your point, just say I screwed up and move on instead of just piling up the missed calls.

Ask Gus and Chip....but let's face it, Gus is not a young guy and you're still seeing some of the playbook that worked for him in 2013. Most defenses figured out how to stop that years ago. That's why he struggled his last few years at Auburn. But, although he's stubborn, he's also a smart guy. It just takes him awhile to admit that old playbook doesn't always work, and adjustments are in order. Now will he go back to Gus being Gus for an entire half (or even a full game like with Louisville) or will he be prepared to adjust early in games going forward? We'll see.
His staff has to point this out to him.

speaking of bad commenters, about ten minutes prior to espn2 showing the game on their vegas show, the one guy comes on and calls us UCLF. No one corrected him. At least the lady commenter corrected herself when she called our conference the ACC. That's the least they can do rather than just ignore it.
All that matters is UFC played well last night. Put on a pounding

These paid professions that do it for a living mess up names all the time. including UCF. It's no wonder they stick with Central Florida

How about play more than one good half against a decent team maybe? Great second half and I am rooting for him, but it’s a little premature to pretend we shouldn’t have any doubts.
Doubts? You guys were about to burn this mother down and fire the coach. usf type overreacting. How about you relax a bit and let it all play out, or as Heupel used to love to say “control what you can control”. Actually watch the game, observe what is going on..he’s not rolling out and throwing out of bounds. He’s running the ball hard giving 100%, he’s making big time throws that are being dropped, the OL is letting everyone through with no time to throw. How many penalties also took away big time stats and points that would have won the Louisville game? Watch the game man, stop looking at the box score and see all factors at play.

Also, I hate to say it but Bowser isn’t helping. 2nd and 3rd and longs aren’t setting up any qb for success, especially with a Swiss cheese OL. Name a qb that has ever been good with a bad OL?

Doubts? You guys were about to burn this mother down and fire the coach. usf type overreacting. How about you relax a bit and let it all play out, or as Heupel used to love to say “control what you can control”. Actually watch the game, observe what is going on..he’s not rolling out and throwing out of bounds. He’s running the ball hard giving 100%, he’s making big time throws that are being dropped, the OL is letting everyone through with no time to throw. How many penalties also took away big time stats and points that would have won the Louisville game? Watch the game man, stop looking at the box score and see all factors at play.

Also, I hate to say it but Bowser isn’t helping. 2nd and 3rd and longs aren’t setting up any qb for success, especially with a Swiss cheese OL. Name a qb that has ever been good with a bad OL?
This is true and you should add that we didn't have those 3rd and longs in the second half because of better play calling. Gus and Chip need to take what the D gives them, and, in this case, it was slants along with long balls with 1 on 1 coverage. And they used Harvey. But they still need to use Johnny more effectively. I don't know why they can't figure that out.

Reactions: U C to the F
This is true and you should add that we didn't have those 3rd and longs in the second half because of better play calling. Gus and Chip need to take what the D gives them, and, in this case, it was slants along with long balls with 1 on 1 coverage. And they used Harvey. But they still need to use Johnny more effectively. I don't know why they can't figure that out.
I think theres this blind allegiance to bowser. Dont get me wrong, bowser has been excellent in the red zone and we should continue to utilize him there. He also is great at end of games to grind clock. But he is not a homerun threat and defenses can stuff him early. We need to see more harvey and Rich early on. Those two can also catch short passes early on which can help JRP find a rhythym on offense

I think theres this blind allegiance to bowser. Dont get me wrong, bowser has been excellent in the red zone and we should continue to utilize him there. He also is great at end of games to grind clock. But he is not a homerun threat and defenses can stuff him early. We need to see more harvey and Rich early on. Those two can also catch short passes early on which can help JRP find a rhythym on offense
I think Bowser has been asked to do a lot without many holes, dragging down his YPC. His versatility has been more of a factor than those YPC for the amount of snaps he gets, though. He can run, block, catch and I’m not sure the others can do all three as well as he can.

I'm a Harvey fan!

Love the Wild Bowser. Extremely effective on the goal line.

Harevy has been amazing

Johnny is still averaging 8YPC or something crazy like that. Home run ability everytime have to get him more touches.

Excited to see Offense continue to improve ceiling is high

I think Bowser has been asked to do a lot without many holes, dragging down his YPC. His versatility has been more of a factor than those YPC for the amount of snaps he gets, though. He can run, block, catch and I’m not sure the others can do all three as well as he can.
Definitely, the pass protection is a huge bonus with Bowser in the game. What I think I see as well, that's different from last year, notably, the Bowl game, is that he was having success with RB Draws. Keene would drop back, let the OL set things up first, and then Bowser would bust through. Now I feel like I am seeing just more straightforward downhill handoffs and the line is still a wall. But I might be recalling things wrong.

Reactions: Wings0fred
Definitely, the pass protection is a huge bonus with Bowser in the game. What I think I see as well, that's different from last year, notably, the Bowl game, is that he was having success with RB Draws. Keene would drop back, let the OL set things up first, and then Bowser would bust through. Now I feel like I am seeing just more straightforward downhill handoffs and the line is still a wall. But I might be recalling things wrong.
I don't think you are. I believe there is a definite difference between the two passers.

I honestly feel bad for MK. Given what he did last year and his love for the program, Gus could have at least thrown him a bone tonight.
At this point I get the impression MK is sitting out this year and taking a redshirt. There has been plenty of opportunities as QB2 to make an appearance

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaes and PhDee
Bowser is great. That kind of running is a team sport. All the stuff about him not being the same as last year is nonsense.

It works great once you've established the pass and also worn down the defense to where you can push them around in the middle, as was shown the other night. He had nothing early in the game when the defenders were in our backfield and he was trying to run off-tackle, when the whole defense was set up to stop the qb scramble.

This isn't to take away from him at all, quite the contrary. You have to have great backs for it to work at all, but I'm saying you need more than that. With normal personnel, you need the defense to be respecting the pass, which they were in the 2nd half when Bowser was most effective.

At this point I get the impression MK is sitting out this year and taking a redshirt. There been plenty of opportunities as QB2 to make an appearance
Yup, we're only using him in an emergency situation

Thats been the rumor for a few weeks now.
I think this is best for both sides. I can see him going to UTEP or New Mexico State, somewhere like that to be a backup that better suits him. Closer to home, maybe an offense that doesn’t need a dual threat, low pressure/expectation program. With the transfer portal these days, there are quality QBs that lost jobs all over the place, too many to transfer even. Might be slim Pickens for someone like him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT