ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN and Big 12 in serious negotiations

For hoops, this makes a lot of sense. Football they need to build a stadium on campus.

If the Big12 can't join the "p2", they'll certainly solidify themselves as the best bb conference in the nation. Yormark sees MBB as being undervalued atm and I agree. He's a falcon seeing things in the sky we numbskulls do not.

UCONN makes like $4 million a year and a move to the Big12 will significantly change that.

Plus, I don't mind a "closer" team for UCF to play.

I don't see the ACC fading away anytime soon so this might be the right move. But a 17 team league?

When UCONN joins they will have schools joining them. Gonna be Big 3 when it’s all said and done.

being in a basketball super league still won’t have the same feel of being in the SEC for Football but it beats being stuck in the American forever

I can't say I'm opposed under this scenario.
eh, why take UConn?

Conference reallignment has never been about basketball. If it was, we'd have seen Big Dawg basketball schools like Duke and Kansas get offers to the Big 2 long ago. If the conference wants to become a basketball power, okay I guess. But that does diddily-squat to secure its place in a future Big Dawg super-conference.

UConn needs the Big XII a hell of a lot more than UCF and the other league schools need UConn.

eh, why take UConn?

Conference reallignment has never been about basketball. If it was, we'd have seen Big Dawg basketball schools like Duke and Kansas get offers to the Big 2 long ago. If the conference wants to become a basketball power, okay I guess. But that does diddily-squat to secure its place in a future Big Dawg super-conference.

UConn needs the Big XII a hell of a lot more than UCF and the other league schools need UConn.
I still remember how good UCONN football used to be in their early Big East days. If they can get back there, I'm all for it. The New York/Northeast market is very valuable.

One of those realignment accounts claims UCONN doesn’t have enough votes

I would vote No but UCF may be one of the Yes votes

eh, why take UConn?

Very true but what are you and the Big 10 gonna do?!? Exclude the Big 12 from bball? Lmao Big 10 is trash in bball. When is the last time they won a championship? Even football everyone knows the Big 10 is carried by OSU, Mich, and now Oregon. The rest are mid. Yes even Penn St is weak

Very true but what are you and the Big 10 gonna do?!? Exclude the Big 12 from bball? Lmao Big 10 is trash in bball. When is the last time they won a championship? Even football everyone knows the Big 10 is carried by OSU, Mich, and now Oregon. The rest are mid. Yes even Penn St is weak
just about every Conference Commissioner rather be full of Football brands over Basketball.

Reactions: DaShuckster
I laughed when I saw that headline. After reading the article though, I see that it's actual progress for them.

I still remember how good UCONN football used to be in their early Big East days. If they can get back there, I'm all for it. The New York/Northeast market is very valuable.
Honestly their football was good for a hot minute and they have been in a free fall for years.

eh, why take UConn?

Of course this is true, but other than maybe FSU and Clemson, football realignment is over. The Big 12 isn't competing with the SEC and Big 10 in football, and neither is anyone else. So why not grow your overall brand with arguably the most successful basketball program of the past 30 years. I think Yormark is being realistic here. Unless the ACC dissolves there won't be any, or at least not much, more football expansion for anyone. The SEC and Big 10 have wholly consolidated power and ended that discussion.

Reactions: PositYourself
Of course this is true, but other than maybe FSU and Clemson, football realignment is over. The Big 12 isn't competing with the SEC and Big 10 in football, and neither is anyone else. So why not grow your overall brand with arguably the most successful basketball program of the past 30 years. I think Yormark is being realistic here. Unless the ACC dissolves there won't be any, or at least not much, more football expansion for anyone. The SEC and Big 10 have wholly consolidated power and ended that discussion.
If the ACC only loses FSU and Clemson, the conference might survive. They would not even have to add anyone since the addition of Cal/Stanford/SMU keeps their numbers where the TV contract requires.

But if N Carolina and another school (probably Virginia) also leave, the rest of the teams will attempt to abandon ship the way the Four Corners schools abandoned the P12. That gives the B12 the opportunity to add the four best remaining AAC schools...maybe Miami, Louisville, NC State and Virginia Tech (or Duke).

why not grow your overall brand with arguably the most successful basketball program of the past 30 years.

The biggest question facing universities in the upcoming revenue-sharing era will be, "Can we afford to play Big Dawg College Football?" If you combine all the revenue generated by college football and men's college basketball, 80% of it is coming from football. If UCF's goal is to continue to play Big Dawg football at the highest level; one that competes for natties, UConn doesn't help in the slightest.

Yormark needs conference money (TV deals and/or creative financing) that will allow UCF and it Big XII brothers to afford forking over $22M+ every year for players. The answer to the funding question will decide who's going forward and who's not.

Last edited:
I never see this happening.

UConn wouldn't move away from its core market in the Big East unless football gets in at some point, even if 7 years from now. The travel costs alone would be prohibitive.

And the Big XII doesn't really want UConn football ... ever. I just don't see it happening. UConn would be better off in the Big East without football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT