ADVERTISEMENT

Upon further review... (Re-watched the entire opener)

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
I have changed my mind on some things and made quite a few notes.

No. 1, Alec Holler and the other tight ends played awful. Holler's azz got blowed up again and again. It did not matter who he tried to block. It didn't end well. In Gus's press conference, he was asked about Holler's performance, and Gus grimaced and said Holler "had a nice block" on the reserve. But if you watch the play, Holler just peeled back on a dude who was already behind the play and in no position to make a tackle. On the ensuing play, Holler made a 17-yard touchdown reception on a hurry up, no huddle tackle-eligible play where Tylan Grable had lined up at receiver. (I mention this because I don't recall ever seeing a HUNH tackle-eligible play.) Hinshaw also talked about the porous tight end play in press conference. Holler is on notice. Wojan played poorly himself. Pittman didn't do anything that great, either, but he is a true freshman after all.

No. 2, Trent Whittemore played awful. Hinshaw did everything humanly possible to get that kid a touchdown--and it just didn't happen. Whittemore did a "pond water" average job of becoming the defender on JRP's first interception in the red zone. (He should have fought to break up the pick.) Whittemore also dropped a sure touchdown pass by Timmy McClain late in the game. The dime hit Whittemore in the hands, but he didn't look it all the way in. Florida offensive transfers are useless.

No. 3, JRP didn't take too many unnecessary hits and didn't play badly as I made out. Yes, he hurdled a defender early in the game. Yes, he took a hit fighting for a first down toward the end zone. However, on his long run, he shouldn't be criticized for lowering his shoulder against the Kent State cornerback. Javon Baker was in position to block Capone Blue, and at the last second Baker threw his hands up. and Plumlee had assumed Baker was going to throw the block to spring him for a potential touchdown. When Baker inexplicably pulled up, Plumlee was left for fiend for himself. Quarterback-wise, Plumlee did a lot of good things and only threw to the wrong receiver a few times (granted any are too many). Plumlee did have a tendency to sail his balls and wasn't pinpoint accurate on many passes (his overthrow to Kodi Hudson on second-and-goal in the end zone on the first possession, in particular, is the kind of play that can cost you a win vs. an ELITE opponent; nobody is talking about that play, but you do not get second chances against ELITE defenses). JRP did execute nearly all of the easy plays that were there. I thought the game was called to emphasize his strengths. UCF won't always be able to coddle him. At some point, he will have to be a real quarterback.

No. 4, the secondary played much, much better than I thought. On the one big pass play that was called back, the slot receiver ran a post and up to split the two safeties (Martinez and Wilson) in Cover 2. Both had their eyes in the backfield. DeJordan Mask ran down the receiver from behind at the 1. (It was an illegal lineman downfield call, not holding BTW.) Kent State targeted Mask's guy a lot but he did well in coverage. Just a few notes on DB play.... Mask and Brandon Adams need to play with better leverage in man coverage at the line of scrimmage. ... Jirah Wilson plays in quick sand; he was the biggest disappointment in the secondary. ... Adams and Thornton played great. ... J. Henderson got was spun around like a top on one route and was burnt on a few plays where the receiver failed to catch the ball. ... Bullard popped a returner on UCF's opening kickoff coverage, so he will continue to shine on special teams most likely... All and all, the DBs played well Saturday and executed their coverages. Kent State had success only when it called routes that were designed to beat the coverages they were facing: A dig or comeback route vs. Cover 3 for example.

No. 5, the offensive line did well 'against Kent State' (I qualified the statement.) I do not know how it will fare against Big12 opponents. The line played much better than I originally thought against Kent State. They blocked the right guys *when they weren't pulling,* and, for the most part, the guys they blocked weren't the guys making tackles. Hinshaw said there were a few times when Kent State's alignment tricked the Oline and when stunts and twists (maybe 3 or 4 I saw) gave the line trouble, but the line adjusted. While UCF didn't blow anybody off the ball or get much push, it didn't give up any sacks and only a couple of insignificant negative plays. If UCF can get what it got out of that group for the rest of the season, it will be a banner year. Lastly I like Bula. He is emotionally engaged. On Harvey's long touchdown run, Bula blocked his guy, then worked his up to the next level and blocked the Missouri transfer linebacker (Nicholson) who was making all the plays. Bula, then, ran down to the end zone and was the first lineman to congratulate Harvey. Bula earned my respect.

Last edited:
I agree...stop the turnovers, get a TE who will block with intensity (which is what I wrote after the Navy game last year) and get Gammage in the mix and we've got a chance to have a great season. Honestly it would also help if Plumlee, Holler and Baker stopped trying to be showmen and came to play team football every game. Will they? We'll see but it's time for Gus to prepare McClain, Pittman and Gammage to be major contributors when needed.

Nice read. The JRP assessment is fair. I was happy to see him do fairly well with some of the short and mid range throws, but like you mentioned…it was clear that the calls were to his strengths.

Big12 defenses will definitely focus on that and force him to beat them with the long ball. He needs to get comfortable and accurate with at least a few long routes or it’s going to be tough on offense.

Reactions: Yaes
I’m glad you rewatched the game. I had to yesterday as well to see if I watched a different game than many on here who were so negative with a 50 pt blowout. Offense was way more aggressive even if similar play style to last year. IMO, the difference was the OL pass protection and improved QB play. Last year JRP and Mikey both had very little time to go through progressions before the pocket collapsed. 2 bad throws and a strip, but 22/30 almost 400 yds total offense is pretty good. Better called plays and time.

Outside of Whittemores drop, the WRs all played really good. I do miss the days of Gabe Davis and Trequan Smith blocking, they were so good at it. I agree that’s lacking.

The DBs played really well outside of some of the young guys mistakes. But the talent is there. LBs were just ok but honestly the DL had so many tackles. I did think the other teams RBs got too many 3-4 yard runs when the DL did well. It’s like the LBs didn’t play aggressive and let them push.

It was Kent St. Boise St is supposed to be a good team, let’s see how that goes next week. I’ll be there.

No. 1, Alec Holler and the other tight ends played awful. Holler's azz got blowed up again and again. It did not matter who he tried to block. It didn't end well. In Gus's press conference, he was asked about Holler's performance, and Gus grimaced and said Holler "had a nice block" on the reserve. But if you watch the play, Holler just peeled back on a dude who was already behind the play and in no position to make a tackle. On the ensuing play, Holler made a 17-yard touchdown reception on a hurry up, no huddle tackle-eligible play where Tylan Grable had lined up at receiver. (I mention this because I don't recall ever seeing a HUNH tackle-eligible play.) Hinshaw also talked about the porous tight end play in press conference. Holler is on notice. Wojan played poorly himself. Pittman didn't do anything that great, either, but he is a true freshman after all.

No. 2, Trent Whittemore played awful. Hinshaw did everything humanly possible to get that kid a touchdown--and it just didn't happen. Whittemore did a "pond water" average job of becoming the defender on JRP's first interception in the red zone. (He should have fought to break up the pick.) Whittemore also dropped a sure touchdown pass by Timmy McClain late in the game. The dime hit Whittemore in the hands, but he didn't look it all the way in. Florida offensive transfers are useless.

No. 3, JRP didn't take too many unnecessary hits and didn't play badly as I made out. Yes, he hurdled a defender early in the game. Yes, he took a hit fighting for a first down toward the end zone. However, on his long run, he shouldn't be criticized for lowering his shoulder against the Kent State cornerback. Javon Baker was in position to block Capone Blue, and at the last second Baker threw his hands up. and Plumlee had assumed Baker was going to throw the block to spring him for a potential touchdown. When Baker inexplicably pulled up, Plumlee was left for fiend for himself. Quarterback-wise, Plumlee did a lot of good things and only threw to the wrong receiver a few times (granted any are too many). Plumlee did have a tendency to sail his balls and wasn't pinpoint accurate on many passes (his overthrow to Kodi Hudson on second-and-goal in the end zone on the first possession, in particular, is the kind of play that can cost you a win vs. an ELITE opponent; nobody is talking about that play, but you do not get second chances against ELITE defenses). JRP did execute nearly all of the easy plays that were there. I thought the game was called to emphasize his strengths. UCF won't always be able to coddle him. At some point, he will have to be a real quarterback.

No. 4, the secondary played much, much better than I thought. On the one big pass play that was called back, the slot receiver ran a post and up to split the two safeties (Martinez and Wilson) in Cover 2. Both had their eyes in the backfield. DeJordan Mask ran down the receiver from behind at the 1. (It was an illegal lineman downfield call, not holding BTW.) Kent State targeted Mask's guy a lot but he did well in coverage. Just a few notes on DB play.... Mask and Brandon Adams need to play with better leverage in man coverage at the line of scrimmage. ... Jirah Wilson plays in quick sand; he was the biggest disappointment in the secondary. ... Adams and Thornton played great. ... J. Henderson got was spun around like a top on one route and was burnt on a few plays where the receiver failed to catch the ball. ... Bullard popped a returner on UCF's opening kickoff coverage, so he will continue to shine on special teams most likely... All and all, the DBs played well Saturday and executed their coverages. Kent State had success only when it called routes that were designed to beat the coverages they were facing: A dig or comeback route vs. Cover 3 for example.

No. 5, the offensive line did well 'against Kent State' (I qualified the statement.) I do not know how it will fare against Big12 opponents. The line played much better than I originally thought against Kent State. They blocked the right guys *when they weren't pulling,* and, for the most part, the guys they blocked weren't the guys making tackles. Hinshaw said there were a few times when Kent State's alignment tricked the Oline and when stunts and twists (maybe 3 or 4 I saw) gave the line trouble, but the line adjusted. While UCF didn't blow anybody off the ball or get much push, it didn't give up any sacks and only a couple of insignificant negative plays. If UCF can get what it got out of that group for the rest of the season, it will be a banner year. Lastly I like Bula. He is emotionally engaged. On Harvey's long touchdown run, Bula blocked his guy, then worked his up to the next level and blocked the Missouri transfer linebacker (Nicholson) who was making all the plays. Bula, then, ran down to the end zone and was the first lineman to congratulate Harvey. Bula earned my respect.

How many times do you re watch auburn games? I’m impressed that you did this and great breakdown. Disappoint about Wilson, will look at him closer next game. He’s got the size of a linebacker so not too surprising.

How many times do you re watch auburn games? I’m impressed that you did this and great breakdown. Disappoint about Wilson, will look at him closer next game. He’s got the size of a linebacker so not too surprising.

There weren't many Auburn games even watched the last two years.

Wilson and Ryan Davis didn't look comfortable. Isiah Paul did not stand out. I do not remember seeing Andrew Harris on defense.

Johnson and Yates looked the best at linebacker by far.

Reactions: FoxKnight

Nice breakdown. Appreciate it.

I agree...stop the turnovers, get a TE who will block with intensity (which is what I wrote after the Navy game last year) and get Gammage in the mix and we've got a chance to have a great season. Honestly it would also help if Plumlee, Holler and Baker stopped trying to be showmen and came to play team football every game. Will they? We'll see but it's time for Gus to prepare McClain, Pittman and Gammage to be major contributors when needed.
Gamma ge is out of shape. Not good when he’s had months to lose weight. He shouldn’t ever be fat anyway. He is.

Many excellent points made in the observations above.

Also, I feel that, depending on the scheme called, DBs and OL are two position groups where chemistry within the group is incredibly important.

I believe that through recruiting and transfers we have enhanced the talent in those groups. But now, in the next few games hopefully we will see much improved chemistry as those units develop in playing together.

Reactions: U C to the F
I could be imagining things, but could resentment be brewing from our playmaking WR? I feel like neither did much to block. Could understand not enabling running because this is their year to put tape together for the NFL. JRP is not going to play QB in the NFL.

I could be imagining things, but could resentment be brewing from our playmaking WR? I feel like neither did much to block. Could understand not enabling running because this is their year to put tape together for the NFL. JRP is not going to play QB in the NFL.
If I was a receiver, I would love Keene and hate JRP.

Reactions: FoxKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT