Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001

US appeals court to weigh NCAA case over pay for athletes​

By Maryclaire Dale
Associated Press

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:56 am

Reactions: UCFhonors
Too maby fans would be out. Theres a reason XFL and all the others failed. Without the student part not enough people care. The donations only come becasue winning is fun for thise alumni. If its the predators the % of donors that care drops significantly.

Well, it's time to fold up the collegiate athletics tent and get back to schools being schools - not sports franchises. It's been real.

Easy solution:

1) get rid of NIL
2) pay them hourly wages as the article states
3) revoke all scholarship money
4) let them enjoy paying the same in-state and out-of -state tuition as we all do
Plus, since they are now just labor, they can be fired for no-cause in a no-cause state like Florida). You aren't performing up-to-snuff or some program thinks they can fill your spot with somebody better, you're cut. I don't think these players know what is going to hit them if they become labor, or straight-up paid on contracts. The NFL (any pro sport) is brutal with its rosters. Moves are made not just because of performance but because of money as well. Right now they have time to develop without the stress of being treated like a regular job, which means you can get cut. Sure, it's stressful and time-consuming but college athletics afford you time to develop as a person and athlete. The more "professional" these kids want to be, the less "fun" it is going to be for them.

No matter how this ends, there is no going back to what people view as college football. It was taken down the moment schools and coaches were making 100s of millions, and alumni was more interested in how to funnel as much cash as possible to the football programs. Players were just the last to get a piece of the pie.

Easy solution:

1) get rid of NIL
2) pay them hourly wages as the article states
3) revoke all scholarship money
4) let them enjoy paying the same in-state and out-of -state tuition as we all do

Why should an athlete be treated different than an honors student?

As a UCF honors student, I could get paid for my NIL, I could get paid by the university for an job, I got scholarship money, and I got to pay some too.

I honestly, don't know why we treat coaches and student differently?

#UCFacts

:cool:

Plus, since they are now just labor, they can be fired for no-cause in a no-cause state like Florida). You aren't performing up-to-snuff or some program thinks they can fill your spot with somebody better, you're cut. I don't think these players know what is going to hit them if they become labor, or straight-up paid on contracts. The NFL (any pro sport) is brutal with its rosters. Moves are made not just because of performance but because of money as well. Right now they have time to develop without the stress of being treated like a regular job, which means you can get cut. Sure, it's stressful and time-consuming but college athletics afford you time to develop as a person and athlete. The more "professional" these kids want to be, the less "fun" it is going to be for them.

It's always been like that. Unlike coaches' contracts, players' signed 1 year deals. How valuable is a semester or two of education? Basically worthless. Again. It's always been 1 year deals.

Basketball before NIL had 50% cut rate, every year. Explain that one.

#UCFacts

It's always been like that. Unlike coaches' contracts, players' signed 1 year deals. How valuable is a semester or two of education? Basically worthless. Again. It's always been 1 year deals.

Basketball before NIL had 50% cut rate, every year. Explain that one.

#UCFacts
Are you saying your honors degree is basically worthless?

Last time I checked sports were an extracurricular activity. You volunteer to be in it. Why should the universities pay you to do something you "opted" in to do?

I really don't know the answer here but GD it is a cluster fk of epic proportions.

Last time I checked sports were an extracurricular activity. You volunteer to be in it. Why should the universities pay you to do something you "opted" in to do?

I really don't know the answer here but GD it is a cluster fk of epic proportions.
No one is forcing schools to take kids that want to get paid. They can take in all the ones that would be walk-ons and just be happy to get anything.

Also for just an extracurricular activity universities seem to have a huge budget and rely heavily on it's income.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT