ADVERTISEMENT

Verdict in the Laquan McDonald Shooting Case

sk8knight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
Chicago Officer Jason Van Dyke, who fired 8 shots into McDonald and then fired 8 more into him once he was down and no longer posed a threat, was found guilty of second-degree murder by a jury. This was the right verdict and now sentencing awaits. He faces a minimum of 6 years but I’m guessing the sentence will be steeper than that.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Only reason he is going to jail is because of video evidence. How many thousands of cops lie through their teeth just like this piece of shit did and got away with it? Luckily we have technology on our side today.

Cops never face justice
I can understand the public opinion here to some degree. There have been some abuses historically and no one can dispute that. But there’s also the factor of the public not understanding common police policies and the legal concept of objective reasonableness. The media really does the public a disservice here because most of them are ignorant as can be and are just looking for clicks. There’s also been some large changes is police policies and hiring. The places where it’s changed the least, unsurprisingly, are the places with the strongest unions.

I can understand the public opinion here to some degree. There have been some abuses historically and no one can dispute that. But there’s also the factor of the public not understanding common police policies and the legal concept of objective reasonableness. The media really does the public a disservice here because most of them are ignorant as can be and are just looking for clicks. There’s also been some large changes is police policies and hiring. The places where it’s changed the least, unsurprisingly, are the places with the strongest unions.

People always latch onto the negative. Don’t get me wrong, there have been some DISGUSTING acts by cops. In general, they’re good people doing amazing work. Unfortunately a few bad apples ruin their reputation.

Reactions: sk8knight
I was surprised it was murder and not manslaughter.

I was surprised it was murder and not manslaughter.
I think it’s the right charge given his actions after McDonald was down and his inability to describe any further threat McDonald posed. Van Dyke state’s he saw movement but that was it. Maybe if he would’ve stated that he felt that the officer coming to apply handcuffs was at risk from the man who was acting like he was high on PCP, then maybe manslaughter may have fit. But he didn’t state that and so murder 2 it is.

I think it’s the right charge given his actions after McDonald was down and his inability to describe any further threat McDonald posed. Van Dyke state’s he saw movement but that was it. Maybe if he would’ve stated that he felt that the officer coming to apply handcuffs was at risk from the man who was acting like he was high on PCP, then maybe manslaughter may have fit. But he didn’t state that and so murder 2 it is.
There must have been a lot of officers that differed with him, and weren't willing to back him.
And if that was the case, then so be it ... murder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT