ADVERTISEMENT

Wanna check my meat out ? you know you do.

Looks great Nauti. That’s a pretty good bark. What technique did you use?

I got the brisket at Publix. I have a buddy that tells me Sam's and Costco actually have great brisket and those are over an hour away for me.

I inject it with Campbell's beef consumme and this brisket seasoning a guy from a boating forum turned me onto from Oklahoma. I then coat it thick with none other than 4 Rivers Brisket rub. let it sit overnight.

I am friends with the guy who owns Haywood Smokehouse here in the mountains. I shared with him I got the grill.He makes outstanding brisket . He said , Bob do you inject it? I said yep. He asked my temp , 225 and then he asked if I wrapped it? I said I do at the stall . He said next time ,don't . Smoke it through the stall at 225 unwrapped. Man,he was spot on!

I also use a 16 inch smoke tube and I add a blend of mesquite and hickory pellets to kick up the smoke. it really helps get that ring. After 4 hours the bark kicks in and the smokes ability to penetrate goes way down. Put the smoke tube immediately and you get 4-5 hours out of it.

Was wondering if you got that bark from the smoker or if you added more smoke. Also about the wrap. 225 and I’m assuming a 12 lb brisket so what, 16 hours unwrapped?

Was wondering if you got that bark from the smoker or if you added more smoke. Also about the wrap. 225 and I’m assuming a 12 lb brisket so what, 16 hours unwrapped?
Brisket started off at 10 pounds. It's only the flat and not a full packer. I didn't wrap it . The bark is formed by the rub and heat . Softer bark and you can wrap it. The other briskets I have smoked I wrapped in pink butcher paper and not foil. Foil will get you soggy bark. Pellet smokers will give you a smoke ring but I amped it up with an addition of the smoke tube too. It's smoking at 225 without the tube .

I found the key to having moist brisket is to inject and go low and slow. The rec Teq has a great computer that controls the feed of the pellets and it holds temps very well. I started the cook at 5AM pull it off at 6 PM and rested it for an hour 45.

How do you smoke your meat?
Camp chef woodwind and similar technique to you. I mostly do full packer primes from Sam’s. Decent competition blend in the hopper and CookinPellets in the tube. I used to inject and stopped doing it because i was losing the flavor of the beef and there were inconsistent textures around the injection points from pooled injection. I used butcher BBQ beef injection when I did.

Now, for the most part, I use salt and pepper with a bit of celery seed (Harry Soo method). Whether I wrap or don’t wrap depends on how much time I have. I’m cooking 275 for the cook. I can do a post-trim 12 lb Bisket in 8-10 hours at that temp with a wrap. If I’m wrapping in foil, it goes into the oven after the wrap because smoke isn’t getting in anymore anyways and the oven is cheaper to run. I’ve wrapped in peach paper too and I’m not sure that I can tell the difference.

If I’ve got a lot of time, then I’ll salt a day or two before for a dry brine. If I want more flavor, I’ll use plowboys bovine bold rub.

After cooking, I rest out of foil until it’s dropped to about 185 (maybe an hour on a big piece of meat) and then into foil and into a faux cambro to hold for up to 6 hours. This is plenty of time to transport to the tailgate.

I inject the hell out of butts with Meat Church’s hog injection. But don’t really inject anything else anymore.

Camp chef woodwind and similar technique to you. I mostly do full packer primes from Sam’s. Decent competition blend in the hopper and CookinPellets in the tube. I used to inject and stopped doing it because i was losing the flavor of the beef and there were inconsistent textures around the injection points from pooled injection. I used butcher BBQ beef injection when I did.

Now, for the most part, I use salt and pepper with a bit of celery seed (Harry Soo method). Whether I wrap or don’t wrap depends on how much time I have. I’m cooking 275 for the cook. I can do a post-trim 12 lb Bisket in 8-10 hours at that temp with a wrap. If I’m wrapping in foil, it goes into the oven after the wrap because smoke isn’t getting in anymore anyways and the oven is cheaper to run. I’ve wrapped in peach paper too and I’m not sure that I can tell the difference.

If I’ve got a lot of time, then I’ll salt a day or two before for a dry brine. If I want more flavor, I’ll use plowboys bovine bold rub.

After cooking, I rest out of foil until it’s dropped to about 185 (maybe an hour on a big piece of meat) and then into foil and into a faux cambro to hold for up to 6 hours. This is plenty of time to transport to the tailgate.

I inject the hell out of butts with Meat Church’s hog injection. But don’t really inject anything else anymore.

Hey that's injection the guy turned me onto and I blend with the consumee . I am really new at this . that was my 4th brisket . I have gout so honestly I don't consume a lot of red meat and basically have sworn off pork and I take meds too. I have had too many nights and days crawling from the pain and I even had knee surgery from it. I am pain free and get 2-3 good bike rides In a week .

so, what's the secret to getting moist brisket without injecting? I don't eat often but when I do I don't like it dry .

I use my pellet grill for mainly cooking chicken and fish. I love how mahi, swordfish and salmon turn out on it especially smoking at 225.

Thanks for any tips ...

Hey that's injection the guy turned me onto and I blend with the consumee . I am really new at this . that was my 4th brisket . I have gout so honestly I don't consume a lot of red meat and basically have sworn off pork and I take meds too. I have had too many nights and days crawling from the pain and I even had knee surgery from it. I am pain free and get 2-3 good bike rides In a week .

so, what's the secret to getting moist brisket without injecting? I don't eat often but when I do I don't like it dry .

I use my pellet grill for mainly cooking chicken and fish. I love how mahi, swordfish and salmon turn out on it especially smoking at 225.

Thanks for any tips ...
I’ve not had great results doing only the flat without injecting. If you’re happy with what you’re doing, keep doing it. It’s about what you like. I would find a different beef purveyor than Publix, though. Their beef quality has fallen off significantly, IMO.

For the chicken, are you getting crispy skin when you’re cooking it now?

I’ve not had great results doing only the flat without injecting. If you’re happy with what you’re doing, keep doing it. It’s about what you like. I would find a different beef purveyor than Publix, though. Their beef quality has fallen off significantly, IMO.

Publix is expensive too. I paid $107 bucks for my last brisket. Everything I have read says it truly starts with the meat itself.

Chicken crispy? sort of kind of . what I do is smoke on 225 until the internal temps reach 125. Then I crank it up to 400 until the temps reach 164 or 65 . This is whole bird. For wings I smoke for 45 minutes at 220 then 35 at 400 and they turn out really well. I add about a table spoon of baking soda per 24 wings and supposedly it helps get the wings crispy. Either way, they turn out delicious.

You cook a damn brisket for 16 hours unwrapped and you'll be able to use that sum bitch for a door stop.

For anything you need to know about smoking brisket, read Aaron Franklin's book. He's got it down to a science.

I have NEVER injected a brisket. All you need is kosher salt and coarse black pepper. That's it.

You cook a damn brisket for 16 hours unwrapped and you'll be able to use that sum bitch for a door stop.

For anything you need to know about smoking brisket, read Aaron Franklin's book. He's got it down to a science.
well actually it was quite tender . I read a lot about Aaron Franklin. perhaps I need to get his book. He seems to be the Nick Saban of smoking and BBQ. lol.

I have NEVER injected a brisket. All you need is kosher salt and coarse black pepper. That's it.
I would ask what's your method and I suspect you would say ...son, read Aaron Franklins book. lol. Again, I have only smoked 4 in my life . I have friends coming from DeLand this next week to visit and he is a stick burner smoker and wants to do brisket and ribs. So it will be number 5 for me. my first one I smoked at 225, wrapped it at the stall ,,cooked it to 195 or so internal temp and the flavor was nice but the meat was just on the dry side . Then another buddy told me to inject it. So I have been doing that and they taste really good and are moist. 4 Rivers Brisket Rub is coarse pepper,coarse salt and Garlic . I love garlic . I have done coarse peepper and salt too.

I would ask what's your method and I suspect you would say ...son, read Aaron Franklins book. lol. Again, I have only smoked 4 in my life . I have friends coming from DeLand this next week to visit and he is a stick burner smoker and wants to do brisket and ribs. So it will be number 5 for me. my first one I smoked at 225, wrapped it at the stall ,,cooked it to 195 or so internal temp and the flavor was nice but the meat was just on the dry side . Then another buddy told me to inject it. So I have been doing that and they taste really good and are moist. 4 Rivers Brisket Rub is coarse pepper,coarse salt and Garlic . I love garlic . I have done coarse peepper and salt too.

I trim the brisket bigly and do a lot of work shaping it with a knife. I only smoke larger briskets since the smaller ones dry out. Season only with salt and pepper, smoke fat side up at 250 (225 isn't hot enough), brisket point AWAY from the hear source. Spritz with apple cider vinegar from time to time. Not too much, however. Wrap in BUTCHER paper at the stall. You can continue to cook on the smoker after it's wrapped but there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting it in the oven at 250 for the remaining time. The meat will not absorb any further smoke after it's wrapped and you are just completing the cook. Tons of BBQ people do this. Frankin even says it's perfectly fine. Let stand for for a while after you pull it out of the oven (like 30 mins). There is a proper way to cut it as well which is key. There are enough videos of this online with Franklin cutting one so you can see.

Publix is expensive too. I paid $107 bucks for my last brisket. Everything I have read says it truly starts with the meat itself.

Chicken crispy? sort of kind of . what I do is smoke on 225 until the internal temps reach 125. Then I crank it up to 400 until the temps reach 164 or 65 . This is whole bird. For wings I smoke for 45 minutes at 220 then 35 at 400 and they turn out really well. I add about a table spoon of baking soda per 24 wings and supposedly it helps get the wings crispy. Either way, they turn out delicious.
I used that method and it works. Now I dry brine and actually put the seasoning under the skin. Use your hand to pry under the skin and form a pocket. This also helps the skin crisp. My insurance is a small blowtorch that works great for crisping.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
I trim the brisket bigly and do a lot of work shaping it with a knife. I only smoke larger briskets since the smaller ones dry out. Season only with salt and pepper, smoke fat side up at 250 (225 isn't hot enough), brisket point AWAY from the hear source. Spritz with apple cider vinegar from time to time. Not too much, however. Wrap in BUTCHER paper at the stall. You can continue to cook on the smoker after it's wrapped but there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting it in the oven at 250 for the remaining time. The meat will not absorb any further smoke after it's wrapped and you are just completing the cook. Tons of BBQ people do this. Frankin even says it's perfectly fine. Let stand for for a while after you pull it out of the oven (like 30 mins). There is a proper way to cut it as well which is key. There are enough videos of this online with Franklin cutting one so you can see.
I love Aaron Franklin. I’ve been able to sit overnight at Franklin’s and watch a cook. No one knows their stuff like he does.

But you’re not cooking on a Franklin rig with Franklin’s amazingly-sourced meat. There is nothing wrong with adjusting your techniques to match your rig, which in this case doesn’t put out a ton of smoke and has pretty big temperature swing compared to Franklin’s pits. So if you like the injection or the rubs, go with those. But definitely try a salt and pepper and a salt and pepper and celery seed crust as well. Watch Harry Soo’s videos and Mad Scientist BBQ on YouTube.

Be careful of reading the competition boards and using those. Competition cooks only have one bite to impress and so do a lot of stuff that we’d never do when cooking for family. Keep it as simple as you can for what you like and you’ll be happy.

I love Aaron Franklin. I’ve been able to sit overnight at Franklin’s and watch a cook. No one knows their stuff like he does.

But you’re not cooking on a Franklin rig with Franklin’s amazingly-sourced meat. There is nothing wrong with adjusting your techniques to match your rig, which in this case doesn’t put out a ton of smoke and has pretty big temperature swing compared to Franklin’s pits. So if you like the injection or the rubs, go with those. But definitely try a salt and pepper and a salt and pepper and celery seed crust as well. Watch Harry Soo’s videos and Mad Scientist BBQ on YouTube.

Be careful of reading the competition boards and using those. Competition cooks only have one bite to impress and so do a lot of stuff that we’d never do when cooking for family. Keep it as simple as you can for what you like and you’ll be happy.
Ahem: I cook on the exact same smoker Franklin does in his teaching videos. Ahem part 2: I also get my meat directly from my butcher here in Lake Mary. It’s fantastic.

Ahem: I cook on the exact same smoker Franklin does in his teaching videos. Ahem part 2: I also get my meat directly from my butcher here in Lake Mary. It’s fantastic.
I meant that for Nautiknight. You know, it’s not always about you. ;)

BzPjzRb.gif

I meant that for Nautiknight. You know, it’s not always about you. ;)
And BTW: I only recommend Franklin because his instructions are so easy to follow, backed by his years and years of experience, and when done right, it’s extremely good. Brisket is one of the most difficult pieces of meat to cook since your margin of error is so small. There is nothing worse than dry brisket. No amount of barbecue sauce can remedy it. I’m sure there are other methods to do it but like I said, he has things down to a science.

And BTW: I only recommend Franklin because his instructions are so easy to follow, backed by his years and years of experience, and when done right, it’s extremely good. Brisket is one of the most difficult pieces of meat to cook since your margin of error is so small. There is nothing worse than dry brisket. No amount of barbecue sauce can remedy it. I’m sure there are other methods to do it but like I said, he has things down to a science.
That he does. But again, a lot of it has to do with the meat that you're cooking. If you're getting prime meat with good marbling, like he is, then you can be very simple because the meat works for itself. If you're getting lower choice meat and working on a pellet smoker that doesn't put out a huge amount of smoke, then you may have to work a little harder to get a great product.

I've tossed around doing a Franklin pit build but I've got way too much going on right now. I did notice that Franklin now has his name on a line of offset smokers that are getting good reviews so I may have to look that up. Honestly, though, I'm lazy so I'm looking seriously at a gravity fed smoker with a digital fan control. Truly, it's the only smoker that you can go to sleep with and not have to worry about it at all.

One more thought: Once you've wrapped the meat then you're braising it rather than roasting it (wet heat versus dry heat). Since you're doing that, you can go ahead and ramp the heat up if you need to. Just realize that you're going to have a higher carryover so you'll want to rest it uncovered to get that external heat down faster. I've even put it in an aluminum pan with a little beef broth, tightly covered with foil, and then into a 375 degree oven to finish the cook quickly. The texture breaks down a little more but it is still really, really good and it can be a way to get a very stubbornly tough piece of flat to the tender point.

That he does. But again, a lot of it has to do with the meat that you're cooking. If you're getting prime meat with good marbling, like he is, then you can be very simple because the meat works for itself. If you're getting lower choice meat and working on a pellet smoker that doesn't put out a huge amount of smoke, then you may have to work a little harder to get a great product.

I've tossed around doing a Franklin pit build but I've got way too much going on right now. I did notice that Franklin now has his name on a line of offset smokers that are getting good reviews so I may have to look that up. Honestly, though, I'm lazy so I'm looking seriously at a gravity fed smoker with a digital fan control. Truly, it's the only smoker that you can go to sleep with and not have to worry about it at all.

One more thought: Once you've wrapped the meat then you're braising it rather than roasting it (wet heat versus dry heat). Since you're doing that, you can go ahead and ramp the heat up if you need to. Just realize that you're going to have a higher carryover so you'll want to rest it uncovered to get that external heat down faster. I've even put it in an aluminum pan with a little beef broth, tightly covered with foil, and then into a 375 degree oven to finish the cook quickly. The texture breaks down a little more but it is still really, really good and it can be a way to get a very stubbornly tough piece of flat to the tender point.

A good smoker that is 1/4" steel with an offset box is really what you need. It holds heat extremely well and doesn't spike horribly in the summer, which I can't say on cheaper models I've had.

The only thing I really need colder weather for is when I smoke cheese. That is a real treat and fun to do.

A good smoker that is 1/4" steel with an offset box is really what you need. It holds heat extremely well and doesn't spike horribly in the summer, which I can't say on cheaper models I've had.

The only thing I really need colder weather for is when I smoke cheese. That is a real treat and fun to do.
I've had offset smokers. I don't want to feed the box. With a gravity fed, it has a chimney that you put charcoal in and you light it at the bottom. The charcoal drops onto a burn try with your wood chunks and creates heat and smoke. There's an air valve on the side that allows you to control the heat. You put a digital fan controller on that and it'll run itself for hours and you don't get the flameouts that you get with pellet grills. It'll also produce a lot of really clean heat and smoke and so you don't get as much variation as you would burning sticks. It's in my 5 year plan. But I think that I'll always own a pellet grill.

I've had offset smokers. I don't want to feed the box. With a gravity fed, it has a chimney that you put charcoal in and you light it at the bottom. The charcoal drops onto a burn try with your wood chunks and creates heat and smoke. There's an air valve on the side that allows you to control the heat. You put a digital fan controller on that and it'll run itself for hours and you don't get the flameouts that you get with pellet grills. It'll also produce a lot of really clean heat and smoke and so you don't get as much variation as you would burning sticks. It's in my 5 year plan. But I think that I'll always own a pellet grill.

Send me a link to what you talking about. I am intrigued.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT