ADVERTISEMENT

We need a large turnout Saturday Vs Tulane. Attendance Prediction?

Where are the 100k alums that have graduated since 2008? That was a bad 4-8 year, Kevin Smith left us, but we still averaged close to 40k. Attendance has been stagnant since then.

Some moved away, some were grad students or commuters who don't care about the school. But SOME of them were undergrads who filled the student section at BHNS, graduated, got a local job, and stopped going to games. How do we get those people to come back?

Reactions: Knight_Light
It is odd that UCF most likely averaged a higher actual attendance in CUSA than it has in the AAC even struggling to sell out during the Bortles Fiesta Bowl season

It's a combination of factors

No it definitely wouldn't. The only way to raise college attendance is to get into your DeLorean or Hot Tub and travel back to 2007 when Americans attended games, home games weren't televised, smart phones weren't around, BHS was a novelty and still would dangerously shake when students stomped (before they tightened up the bolts), and most all sideline sections weren't reserved for civic and corporate donor who never, ever show up. Or we could get into a P-5 conference. Them's the only facts that matter (same with our basketball attendance).
The South Carolina game wasn't that long ago

Personally, I enjoy being able to go to games without having some obnoxious drunk cussing out everyone within shouting distance and having them spill their beer all over me and everyone else around them. The games at the Citrus bowl were horrible for these exact reasons.

To totally simplify how to increase attendance and get fans to come earlier and leave late. It's really 3-4 things only

1) Need better concessions. (Beer, food, etc.)

2) Wins

3) Play better teams

4) Exciting football

2 and 3 are most important. Notice ticket price is not one of them. Fans will pay for a quality product and travel from far to see it.

That will guarantee 40,000-60,000 plus. If BHNS held that many.

Let me add if the sun is also a big deal they need to invest in canopies. I like how Orlando City installed theirs.
http://www.orlandocitysc.com/post/2016/11/03/stadium-don-garber

It is odd that UCF most likely averaged a higher actual attendance in CUSA than it has in the AAC even struggling to sell out during the Bortles Fiesta Bowl season
It's a combination of factors
Same in Basketball. By far, we saw the best lineup of visiting teams ever during our first year in the AAC (Louisville was still in the conference and we hadn't added all those C-USA teams yet). Yet despite huge contingents of traveling fans from UConn and Louisville, attendance was dismal. Compare that vs. deafening packed houses against Marshall.

Same in Basketball. By far, we saw the best lineup of visiting teams ever during our first year in the AAC (Louisville was still in the conference and we hadn't added all those C-USA teams yet). Yet despite huge contingents of traveling fans from UConn and Louisville, attendance was dismal. Compare that vs. deafening packed houses against Marshall.

By the time UCF Hoops entered AAC...program was destroyed by ncaa sanctions, lost scholarships and recruiting restrictions...which hurt the W/L record...so there was nothing for the bandwagon fan to jump on to.

I graduated in 09 and 11, ever since I feel our attendance / fan ethusiam has been on the decline (ecspecially at basketball). This up and coming generation is not as into your standard sports. E-Sports are becoming huge with the younger generation. More people watch League of Legends tournaments than the MLB world series or the NBA finals.

Reactions: UCFProf
I just don't understand all of this talk.
What was our attendance for South Carolina State after an 0-12 season??? That's an FCS school.
Fan interest is not on the decline. It's at an all-time high in football. The recent poor attendance (if there even is) is due to losing and not having the exciting offense as promised.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
Where are the 100k alums that have graduated since 2008? That was a bad 4-8 year, Kevin Smith left us, but we still averaged close to 40k. Attendance has been stagnant since then.

Some moved away, some were grad students or commuters who don't care about the school. But SOME of them were undergrads who filled the student section at BHNS, graduated, got a local job, and stopped going to games. How do we get those people to come back?

Help them move on from burger king?

I just don't understand all of this talk.
What was our attendance for South Carolina State after an 0-12 season??? That's an FCS school.
Fan interest is not on the decline. It's at an all-time high in football. The recent poor attendance (if there even is) is due to losing and not having the exciting offense as promised.
Of course. I'm just pointing out how we love to beat ourselves about factors that don't matter much, such as quality of opponent (as you verified) or our record. As K_L refuses to admit, quality competition isn't a major factor. We once drew 42K for feeble Idaho in football.

Even W-L record isn't the critical factor: attendance was much better in the C-USA in football (even during our losing seasons) and basketball (where our conference records were pathetic). Penn State's attendance briefly fell 12% despite it's horrible teams, worse NCAA penalties, and national scandals!

Attendance is all about marketing and tradition, while winning is the RESULT of high attendance, NOT the reason for attendance. K_L just is just plain wrong!

Of course. I'm just pointing out how we love to beat ourselves about factors that don't matter much, such as quality of opponent (as you verified) or our record. As K_L refuses to admit, quality competition isn't a major factor. We once drew 42K for feeble Idaho in football.

Even W-L record isn't the critical factor: attendance was much better in the C-USA in football (even during our losing seasons) and basketball (where our conference records were pathetic). Penn State's attendance briefly fell 12% despite it's horrible teams, worse NCAA penalties, and national scandals!

Attendance is all about marketing and tradition, while winning is the RESULT of high attendance, NOT the reason for attendance. K_L just is just plain wrong!
Not so sure I agree with you on some items. As we win, and when we are kicking butt...attendance goes way up. High attendance does not contribute that much to winning. Over?

Not so sure I agree with you on some items. As we win, and when we are kicking butt...attendance goes way up. High attendance does not contribute that much to winning. Over?
Attendance helps short and long term winning. Short term, large crowd noise can add several points to the home team. Longer term, full houses justifies successive stadium expansions, higher ticket prices, and lots more revenue for the program, as well as stronger arguments for invitation to P-5 conferences, which in turn buys you top coach and gets you 4 and 5 star recruits. Finally, large, full stadiums are what get top teams their 8 home-, 4 away-game schedules that generate more wins, revenue, etc. Thus, ADs know that winning and ranking is primarily the "result" of attendance, NOT the cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT