ADVERTISEMENT

We probably don't want 'Bama

UCFBS

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
USA
In 2013, it was looking more and more like 'Bama (although possibly someone else) in the Sugar Bowl. But the MAC conference leader losing their championship game changed all that, and we headed to the Fiesta. Everyone said we'd get killed against Baylor, because all 3 of their injured, key players were back, the alleged reason why they had dropped a game, and were out of the national title hunt.

I, for one, was happy to have Baylor because we were bigger, and we would dominate the trenches.

This year, although things may still change after championship weekend, we could see UCF v. 'Bama as a result, if Bama remains #5+. I don't like this scenario. Why?

1) Bama will have a full five (5) weeks to heal, and that's why they have been losing, especially against rushing attacks like in the Iron Bowl ... all those LBs down, among others.

2) Bama is pissed

If I'm the CFP and NY6 Bowl Committee, I would want to shut up the AAC and the rest of the G5 by pitting UCF against 'Bama. They are 5-star beef against our 3-star beef. Don't get me wrong, I love our system that Frost installed, and I think we would play hard, but I think we'll get our butts kicked. I've been wrong before, but that's my fear.

Just like in 2013 ... before the MAC championship game changed everything. Especially if 'Bama is far more healthy ... unlike when Baylor came back healthy 4 years ago.

I just never want to play a mobile QB again after Flowers... lol
It wasn't just his feet. You know Memphis and Riley are watching that tape!

We clearly have issues with the "hand off" of the LBs to the DBs in the zone D.

It wasn't just his feet. You know Memphis and Riley are watching that tape!

We clearly have issues with the "hand off" of the LBs to the DBs in the zone D.

That’s exactly the point though. We can play man-to-man when we don’t have to face a mobile QB. With a stationary QB, we can man up all day...

Bama is the type of team we do want to play. Where only NC matter. They won't want to play us. No motivation. They just end up playing around in practice. Not watching film. Go to Bowl and party the whole week. Will be business as usual for us.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Bama is the type of team we do want to play. Where only NC matter. They won't want to play us. No motivation. They just end up playing around in practice. Not watching film. Go to Bowl and party the whole week. Will be business as usual for us.
Nope, this is not 2010.

Every P5 is very motivated to kick the living crap out of us. I don't like how we match up with Bama.

That’s exactly the point though. We can play man-to-man when we don’t have to face a mobile QB. With a stationary QB, we can man up all day...
I don't think we spied on Flowers as much as people think.

We'll see in the CCG ... and if we go back to man against Memphis.

They'd probably wreck us. But I remember how everyone predicted us vs. Baylor and how it actually turned out...

None of the P5 Top 10 teams are motivated to beat us. They view us like everyone else, a cupcake. They won't take us seriously. Their coaches will use the practice time to get back-ups more experience for next year. Their upperclassman will be thinking about the draft.

There is a reason G5 teams have beaten their P5 opponents something like 5 out 7 times they played in a NY6/BCS bowl game.

Plus, Bama has always had a hard time with uptempo teams with mobile quarterbacks.

Anything can happen, but this team can play with anybody in the nation.

And we won't have a new coaching staff. We'll be minus the head coach only.

They'd probably wreck us. But I remember how everyone predicted us vs. Baylor and how it actually turned out...
Did you not read my original post?

In 2013, it was looking more and more like 'Bama ... in the Sugar Bowl ... [but] we headed to the Fiesta. Everyone said we'd get killed against Baylor, because all 3 of their injured, key players were back, the alleged reason why they had dropped a game, and were out of the national title hunt.
I, for one, was happy to have Baylor because we were bigger, and we would dominate the trenches.
If I'm the CFP and NY6 Bowl Committee, I would want to shut up the AAC and the rest of the G5 by pitting UCF against 'Bama. They are 5-star beef against our 3-star beef.
Just like in 2013 ... before the MAC championship game changed everything. Especially if 'Bama is far more healthy ... unlike when Baylor came back healthy 4 years ago.

'Bama is not like Baylor at all. Again, we almost got 'Bama in 2013 too, I was glad it was Baylor instead.

No shame in losing to Bama. Win big, win by a little, lose,or lose big. They are a measuring stick to see where we are at. That's what these NY6 games really are for us.

Anybody that objectively knows college football knows the uphill battle G5 schools face. We need to play the best. FSU and Miami made themselves by playing anybody, anytime, anywhere. That's why they are what they are. We need to do the same. It's not like all these teams haven't been shellacked in major Bowls.

Utah beat up Bama in 2008. They got a beat-down by Oklahoma in 2013. Nobody is immune to losing big from time-to-time.

We all know that the main difference between us and the major programs, and this goes for mid-majors as well, is trench warfare. They have better talent and more depth. No shame in losing to the best.

They will put us against someone like Washington or TCU. They don’t want to give us any more reasons to thump our chests.

I don't think we spied on Flowers as much as people think.

It has nothing to do with "spying on the QB."

When playing against a great running QB like Flowers, many teams play zone because in zone defense the linebackers and DB's are facing the line of scrimmage a higher percentage of the time as they monitor what receivers are coming into their zone. When facing the line of scrimmage it is easier to see when the QB has taken off on a run.

In man coverage, the LBs and DBs are locked onto their man and running with them wherever they go on the field. This often has them with their back to the line of scrimage...or sideways and you do not pick up the QB running as quickly.

I have not watched enough P5 games this year to have an opinion on who we should play. I've been on sort of a P5 boycott. I wouldn't mind playing Alabama...except for their scrambling QB. But I don't think his scrambling/running ability is as good as Flowers.

Who would want Bama? It took Clemson having a loaded team and great QB to beat them. Other than that Auburn, Ole Miss for a few years, and the Manziel days at A&M are the only ones in the last 5 or so years that have had any sort of success against them.

I have not watched enough P5 games this year to have an opinion on who we should play. I've been on sort of a P5 boycott. I wouldn't mind playing Alabama...except for their scrambling QB. But I don't think his scrambling/running ability is as good as Flowers.
Who would want Bama? It took Clemson having a loaded team and great QB to beat them. Other than that Auburn, Ole Miss for a few years, and the Manziel days at A&M are the only ones in the last 5 or so years that have had any sort of success against them.
I'd take Ohio State. ;)

Bama will be in the playoffs. The CFP put them ahead of a UGA team with more inpressive wins. Once Wisconsin loses they're in.

There is not going to be a new coaching staff for a bowl game. Frost may be gone, but a majority of the existing coaches will be around through the bowl game.

LOL, we may be down to a Strength Coach calling plays.....

This ny6 matchup between G5 and P5 may be uncharted territory if our HC is gone.....most actually stick around long enough to FINISH something. Herman was a hot commodity but he didn't leave before a program defining game.

This ny6 matchup between G5 and P5 may be uncharted territory if our HC is gone.....most actually stick around long enough to FINISH something. Herman was a hot commodity but he didn't leave before a program defining game.

Brian Kelly did it to Cinci when he took the Notre Dame job. Same scenario. Undefeated. They got rolled by UF.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
And that was when both schools were BCS schools with auto invites....yikes
Yep.

Cinci was undefeated, but couldn't play for a national title because of the system. Sound familiar?
That's because the old Big East was worse than the new AAC, despite being BCS.

Although the continued assumptions that the new AAC is worse than the old Big East is rather fitting coming from the P5 world, let alone CFP committee.

yeah he at least won Houston the Peach Bowl over FSU. Frost is potentially leaving without a Bowl Win.

it really sucks how the end of this season & possibly our best team ever is not going to get 100% attention from the Head Coach.

Reactions: Shark19

Cincy had this problem the year Kelly left. They were 12-0 and barely missed playing in the BCS game. He left; They got shellacked. I would assume the staff was in shambles at that time as they may not have known their futures at that time, or if they did, their heads might not have been 100% into that game. Maybe some guys had even left. It is a bad scenario as far as prepping for that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT