ADVERTISEMENT

We remain "the House that Frost Built"...

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
I have so many people who tell me that UCF is going to crash again because of the exodus to the promise land. I think this view is really hampering UCF's ability to cash in on the natty as far as recruiting goes.

No matter how hard you to try to explain that the only thing Frost did that had not been done here before was win one additional game, they cannot see beyond 0-12.

I hope DW is correct on his assessment of Heup and that he can use the tools he has been given.

I hope I can keep from being too overly critical this coming season..

I really don’t think that will happen now that the statue is gone. I really believe we won despite the statue not because of him.
It was definitely because of him. He was a good coach. To old school at times, but knew how to build teams that could flourish once they were mostly upperclassmen. If he was a better recruiter we would be P5 now.

It was definitely because of him. He was a good coach. To old school at times, but knew how to build teams that could flourish once they were mostly upperclassmen. If he was a better recruiter we would be P5 now.

Frost and the whole staff did a great job last season AND so did the players. We had some solid leaders on this team that you don't find every year. This is a new team with different players so we'll see. I think we have a lot of guys who are wanting to see this thing continue and hopefully Heup and co. handle this coaching change the right way to keep the fire burning in these guys. I can tell you that it wasn't Frost alone though. Every coach we had bought into what frost was doing and it trickled down to the players who ran with it.

I have so many people who tell me that UCF is going to crash again because of the exodus to the promise land. I think this view is really hampering UCF's ability to cash in on the natty as far as recruiting goes.

No matter how hard you to try to explain that the only thing Frost did that had not been done here before was win one additional game, they cannot see beyond 0-12.

I hope DW is correct on his assessment of Heup and that he can use the tools he has been given.

I hope I can keep from being too overly critical this coming season..
Yeah, El Hype is getting no credit. Dummies won't listen to reason.

Don't bring up the fact that the 2013 schedule was more difficult than this year or that this years team won, in good part, because of the talent left by the Statue.

Frost was fortunate to have the players and leaders he had on this team. They won when he had one foot out the door. You can't coach that.

Frost and the whole staff did a great job last season AND so did the players. We had some solid leaders on this team that you don't find every year. This is a new team with different players so we'll see. I think we have a lot of guys who are wanting to see this thing continue and hopefully Heup and co. handle this coaching change the right way to keep the fire burning in these guys. I can tell you that it wasn't Frost alone though. Every coach we had bought into what frost was doing and it trickled down to the players who ran with it.
Ha, I wrote pretty much the same thing while you posted this. I did it better, though.:grimace:

Success is not guaranteed in cfb, look at the struggles of Miami, UF, and FSU at times in the last 10 years. Far more resources, major conference affiliation, history. Coaching staff makes or breaks your program.

Until Heupel wins games he could be the next Saban or a Charlie Weis.

The main thing that would be concerning. 2017 team had heart and played harder than anyone else. No one can dispute that the Frost coaching staff was a big reason for that. Positive team culture was big, and was a complete 180 from anything under GOL.

I really don’t think that will happen now that the statue is gone. I really believe we won despite the statue not because of him.
I never really hid that this was my thought on GOL, I know most of the board regulars disagree.

UCF really did get the rug pulled under us with Frost leaving so soon. Like I posted during the speculation is that me/ other fans being pissed about it wasn't about Frost leaving which he had that right it's how quickly he left. We were living in a College Football World in the State of Florida where the Gators were the 'boring' program and UCF was all about fun & speed. It's what many students and alumni have been wanting to see for years out of this University's Football Program. The coach, system, uniforms, etc matched the University: young, modern, innovative, & fun.

I believe 4 Full seasons would have set up the Program on a momentum that would have been hard to reverse & it would have gave an assistant like Walters more experience to take over. Now there is a little more uncertainty

I never really hid that this was my thought on GOL, I know most of the board regulars disagree.

UCF really did get the rug pulled under us with Frost leaving so soon. Like I posted during the speculation is that me/ other fans being pissed about it wasn't about Frost leaving which he had that right it's how quickly he left. We were living in a College Football World in the State of Florida where the Gators were the 'boring' program and UCF was all about fun & speed. It's what many students and alumni have been wanting to see for years out of this University's Football Program. The coach, system, uniforms, etc matched the University: young, modern, innovative, & fun.

I believe 4 Full seasons would have set up the Program on a momentum that would have been hard to reverse & it would have gave an assistant like Walters more experience to take over. Now there is a little more uncertainty

This. From the beginning I wrote that UCF needed 3-5 years out of Frost before leaving in order to establish a brand. I'm not sure that Heupel/Shannon are consistent with the brand that has been developed.

Success is not guaranteed in cfb, look at the struggles of Miami, UF, and FSU at times in the last 10 years. Far more resources, major conference affiliation, history. Coaching staff makes or breaks your program.

Until Heupel wins games he could be the next Saban or a Charlie Weis.

The main thing that would be concerning. 2017 team had heart and played harder than anyone else. No one can dispute that the Frost coaching staff was a big reason for that. Positive team culture was big, and was a complete 180 from anything under GOL.

The struggles of programs like Miami, UF, and FSU are due to more competitive conferences with programs that use to not care about football, devoting resources toward football. Remember the 90's ACC, Big East when 80% of the schools didn't care about football? A lot of the SEC didn't care about football, Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky etc. were easy wins every year for UF. The competition in the AAC has increased but still only half the conference cares about football. We have an opportunity to make a nice run until that equation changes.

The struggles of programs like Miami, UF, and FSU are due to more competitive conferences with programs that use to not care about football, devoting resources toward football. Remember the 90's ACC, Big East when 80% of the schools didn't care about football? A lot of the SEC didn't care about football, Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky etc. were easy wins every year for UF. The competition in the AAC has increased but still only half the conference cares about football. We have an opportunity to make a nice run until that equation changes.
even with that Miami's drought should be embarressing for their fans. Hell they had enough talent to win the ACC last year but Richt calls plays in a phonebooth. They'll never win the big game with him calling plays

Only people who got here after 2005 really believe this. Not going to beat this dead horse other than to say there is no way this would ever be possible nor does our history back this up.

This. From the beginning I wrote that UCF needed 3-5 years out of Frost before leaving in order to establish a brand. I'm not sure that Heupel/Shannon are consistent with the brand that has been developed.

Agreed. But really who would have been as close as Heup? I am more concerned about Shannon's influence in the locker room and with the players. What Frost did was bring unity of purpose and philosophy to which the players fully bought in. None of the coaches had any HC experience to speak of. It was one big experiment. All of the pieces fit together from the players looking for something to believe in to the talent a leaders left by the previous administration. I am concerned that Shannon may have his own ideas and ego that does not lend itself to the same rah rah we are all family message.

even with that Miami's drought should be embarressing for their fans. Hell they had enough talent to win the ACC last year but Richt calls plays in a phonebooth. They'll never win the big game with him calling plays

They'll beat FSU which is all that matters. With their schedule and FSU down (Slick Willie still hasn't proven himself as a coach), Miami should be the best of the 3 programs for a few years.

Can't agree, so Miami, UF, and FSU won national titles because they played in conference that had teams that weren't all football powerhouses? So McElwain, Golden, Zook is interchangeable with Meyer, Spurrier, Bowden? Miami going to ACC was tougher, but if you look at Miami's old schedules they averaged like 5-6 ranked teams a season even in the Big East based on OOC schedule. ACC nor SEC has changed that much just some teams that were good 15 years ago are bad and vice versa.

If Heupel turns out to be as successful as Key, it's not going to be because the AAC suddenly became a powerhouse conference.

Only people who got here after 2005 really believe this. Not going to beat this dead horse other than to say there is no way this would ever be possible nor does our history back this up.

Agreed. But really who would have been as close as Heup? I am more concerned about Shannon's influence in the locker room and with the players. What Frost did was bring unity of purpose and philosophy to which the players fully bought in. None of the coaches had any HC experience to speak of. It was one big experiment. All of the pieces fit together from the players looking for something to believe in to the talent a leaders left by the previous administration. I am concerned that Shannon may have his own ideas and ego that does not lend itself to the same rah rah we are all family message.
agreed and his son being on the roster makes this even more of a concern

What is 'conventional' may not work at UCF. Meaning Shannon's experience is based on having every player on his defensive line be a 4 star or higher, not being a little undersized on the line like UCF usually is. That's what made what Chins did with the Griffin twins brilliant, the hybrid LB

Reactions: NU_FTW
Speaking of runs, we have the talent to play on New Year's Day for the next several years, even if it is as the G5 representative, like we just did this year... Only a select few (6 to 8) teams play on New Year's Day. If we are one of those few annually (until this flawed system changes) that is still a ton of positive Heupe...

I still believe we will be UCFast and UCFierce this season whether or not the new coaches use these slogans. The little tidbits of the workouts on ucf football twitter looked like speed drills they're doing with Killins smiling.

However, if our offensive line marches out onto the field sluggishly wearing those GOL knee braces, all beats are off. We are doomed! as another poster says :)

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
I still believe we will be UCFast and UCFierce this season whether or not the new coaches use these slogans. The little tidbits of the workouts on ucf football twitter looked like speed drills they're doing with Killins smiling.

However, if our offensive line marches out onto the field sluggishly wearing those GOL knee braces, all beats are off. We are doomed! as another poster says :)
In the last few cycles, we have added the OLs to both protect the passer and to pound the rock. A good combination...and we are now two deep with strong OL talent.

Reactions: Knight59 and Mikesi
They'll beat FSU which is all that matters. With their schedule and FSU down (Slick Willie still hasn't proven himself as a coach), Miami should be the best of the 3 programs for a few years.
FSU was only down because Francois got hurt in game 1. If not they beat Miami and UM has 4 losses instead. UM doesn’t even know who their QB will be.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
FSU was only down because Francois got hurt in game 1. If not they beat Miami and UM has 4 losses instead. UM doesn’t even know who their QB will be.

I have a feeling that Slick Willie is going to get exposed for the fraud that he is.

I have a feeling that Slick Willie is going to get exposed for the fraud that he is.
you don't have to be a schematic genius when you have and will bring in more talent than just about every other team on your schedule but Clemson the last 5 years

you don't have to be a schematic genius when you have and will bring in more talent than just about every other team on your schedule but Clemson the last 5 years
I agree with your point P.K.. With their recruiting strength, 10+ wins is always possible. But I just want to add that we just never know... over the last decade or so, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame and maybe some others have shown how there can still be some years of low win totals even with a high level of recruited talent. It's hard to put a finger on what can lead to losing despite good talent, but suffice it to say, chemistry is also a big piece.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT