ADVERTISEMENT

What are your first impressions of ESPN+?

Knight Strength

Golden Knight
Feb 2, 2018
One thing I liked was the halftime specials they showed. For UCF there was the story of our space uniforms with the origins of the university, design, and logistics of the uniforms. For UH they just aired an ad for donations. These were in place of commercial advertisements.

I thought the announcers were on par for what we get on an ESPN broadcast so it wasn't a let down for me. But they were really going in on UH at the end with the "nail in the coffin" and "coach is going to rip them a new one" type talk. It was incessant and I would have hated it if I was a UH fan.

There were a number of camera mistakes by operators or the "directors" (I forget what you call the person who decides what camera is shown during a live broadcast).

What did you all think?

I don’t want to sound ungrateful because I was really glad to be able to watch the game, but I thought the overall quality was very poor.

1. The camera mistakes were awful.

2. The announcers weren’t good either. They called us the Golden Knights at least once and, I agree, the piling on of Houston was kinda BS.

3. There were glitches throughout the game. Less than<1 second disturbances, like the screen going black.

4. And finally, they were late returning to the game a couple times.

Reading this over I know I sound whiny. But you asked and I have to pay 5.99/ month so I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity in hopes that some ESPN staffer has been assigned to track complaints.(it is cool that all the 30 for 30s are on it.).

Reactions: Knight Strength
I don’t want to sound ungrateful because I was really glad to be able to watch the game, but I thought the overall quality was very poor.

1. The camera mistakes were awful.

2. The announcers weren’t good either. They called us the Golden Knights at least once and, I agree, the piling on of Houston was kinda BS.

3. There were glitches throughout the game. Less than<1 second disturbances, like the screen going black.

4. And finally, they were late returning to the game a couple times.

Reading this over I know I sound whiny. But you asked and I have to pay 5.99/ month so I’m going to take advantage of the opportunity in hopes that some ESPN staffer has been assigned to track complaints.(it is cool that all the 30 for 30s are on it.).
You reminded me of some issues I saw where I think the video slowed down and sped back up... Or it got stuck and did a frame blending when it caught up again. It ended up looking like some blurring effect that looked like The Matrix.

It’s the Producer. But seriously way less commercials. This is a test run to make people pay for actual marquee games. That’s coming soon. $13 a minute nth for Hulu, Disney and ESPN is a bargain. Plenty of good content. Even get good UFC matches. I like it. Announcers have to start somewhere abd prove themselves. Right now that’s ESPN 3 and +. That will change. Bruce Buffer only does the + and PPV.

I thought the announcers worked for Houston . The color analyst clearly was a Houston homer or employee to me. My son tells me students ran the cameras and had producer in the truck running the game. The quality was sub par. I was able to enjoy the game with the sound turned down. Go Golden Knights !

• Haha
Reactions: DrPhillipsKnight
I didn’t see any of the interruptions that others saw - but I did see lots of camera mistakes. Plays that were missed entirely, zooming on the wrong things, etc.

Announcers were on par with the other guys we have had this season, which isn’t a compliment, though I didn’t feel they were biased.

Shorter / less frequent commercial breaks was GREAT.

All in all, not impressed, but better than not having any options.

Everything is school produced I'm pretty sure (I log events for ESPN +) so what that game looked like compared to what a UCF home game looked like from a production stand point are probably two completely different things,

As someone who's watched a thousand of lower level D1 soccer/volleyball games on ESPN + it wasn't the worst looking production on there, but wasn't the best.

I did WVU Kansas basketball game last year and you wouldn't have known it wasn't on national TD.

Bad. Camera angles and Commentators.Looks like they caught them with pants down... Like WTF. Just bad all around. Soccer is better on App

There are some ESPN+ broadcasts that are decent. With how many people they employ (given how many events ESPN+ broadcasts), it’s really a mixed bag. This particular broadcast, however, I think was horrible. I’ve seen better high school productions.

It’s the Producer. But seriously way less commercials. This is a test run to make people pay for actual marquee games. That’s coming soon. $13 a minute nth for Hulu, Disney and ESPN is a bargain. Plenty of good content. Even get good UFC matches. I like it. Announcers have to start somewhere abd prove themselves. Right now that’s ESPN 3 and +. That will change. Bruce Buffer only does the + and PPV.

Depending on which plan you have - the whole Disney+ESPN+Hulu bundle actually comes free with Verizon (just found out and activated this weekend).

Everything is school produced I'm pretty sure (I log events for ESPN +) so what that game looked like compared to what a UCF home game looked like from a production stand point are probably two completely different things,

As someone who's watched a thousand of lower level D1 soccer/volleyball games on ESPN + it wasn't the worst looking production on there, but wasn't the best.

I did WVU Kansas basketball game last year and you wouldn't have known it wasn't on national TD.
Hey, Money, what does an event logger do?

Hey, Money, what does an event logger do?
we're pretty much in control of running breaks/slating, QA'ing just making sure nothing is going wrong with the feed, and cutting markers for the archive.... stupid but simple job lol

Reactions: e.
Find a way to get it for free so you don’t have to pay ESPN any extra money. They love to mess with UCF so l refuse to buy it.

- Focus on the AAC and its teams like UCF were great
- Production quality was a throwback to the worst of Sunshine (I think Sunshine wins here)
- Announcers sounded like guys from off the street ... and even with some support cast giving them facts, they still couldn't even get those right

Navigating the ESPN plus website is not pleasant. Bad design
It's total crap, in every app, in every format, agreed.

The funniest thing..... (now I don't watch a ton of football but), I don't think I've ever seen a RB outrun the cameraman, meaning he ran off the screen. I get it if it's a trick play, but in the 1st qrt. the Houston RB ran off the screen like the crew had no idea that football wasn't a static sport.

PS, regarding the announcers isn't Stanford Route (???? spelling) a known announcer? (might be thinking of someone else)

I had da Plus forever but cancelled it last year. Reupped to watch UCF last week. It’s fine For its cheap purpose which is watching the game live. I honestly have never watched it with the sound on so dunno about the broadcasters. I usually have it on IPad as secondary game muted next to me while watching big screen or with music on watching in the pool.

pay the annual fee. Not monthly. Saves like a billion dollars

I followed the game live by watching the little football going up and down the field like it was the early 2000s, but did see a YouTube of the entire game yesterday.

Yes, the announcers were UH homers, the color guy went to school there. The camera work and production value was WAY below what we are used to seeing. Would I pay $72 a year for 3-4 games? No.....I hate this trend where every network has a streaming service.

Seems like I'll only watch one game this year on it so I'm only paying for one month. Although I haven't looked into canceling yet so I need to get on that before it's too late.

I followed the game live by watching the little football going up and down the field like it was the early 2000s, but did see a YouTube of the entire game yesterday.
Hah. Been there. Done that. Many times. Weddings. Graduations Etc.

One thing I liked was the halftime specials they showed. For UCF there was the story of our space uniforms with the origins of the university, design, and logistics of the uniforms. For UH they just aired an ad for donations. These were in place of commercial advertisements.

I thought the announcers were on par for what we get on an ESPN broadcast so it wasn't a let down for me. But they were really going in on UH at the end with the "nail in the coffin" and "coach is going to rip them a new one" type talk. It was incessant and I would have hated it if I was a UH fan.

There were a number of camera mistakes by operators or the "directors" (I forget what you call the person who decides what camera is shown during a live broadcast).

What did you all think?
tumblr_n51jfclqVj1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Best so far for showing t&a. Cheerleaders, crowd shots. Full of hoes

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT