ADVERTISEMENT

what Auburn was right about

forcing Gus off playcalling . It hasn’t worked in a while and he doesn’t get the same talent here at OT that he got at Auburn

he can excel here in a Bowden delegate CEO Role with how he recruits but if he remains stubborn on this front the Program is mostly likely stuck in a 7-5 8-4 pattern
We I said 10-2 at best and 8-4 in an absolute dumpster scenario prior to the start the year and stick to that - even with the performance tonight.

I also believe Gus is recruiting better than 🦛 ever did and will continue to improve.

Most years we will be among the top in the conference - even with the move to the Big 12

Reactions: U C to the F
We are quick to warn other fanbases of faults on our coaches that leave us (Heupel). Lets not be shocked when their experiences come to fruition here. Herb hand is another coach where multiple programs fans complained about for a reason.

We are quick to warn other fanbases of faults on our coaches that leave us (Heupel). Lets not be shocked when their experiences come to fruition here. Herb hand is another coach where multiple programs fans complained about for a reason.
Heupel was a horrible recruiter here don’t get me wrong and the roster was getting softer each year but that man can coach QBs.

what may make him work at Tennessee is that they have a good NIL setup that does the recruiting for him

forcing Gus off playcalling . It hasn’t worked in a while and he doesn’t get the same talent here at OT that he got at Auburn

he can excel here in a Bowden delegate CEO Role with how he recruits but if he remains stubborn on this front the Program is mostly likely stuck in a 7-5 8-4 pattern
Yes…exactly! I didn’t believe this before but I saw it tonight, couple games last year but thought it was just MK limitations. Naw, he doesn’t need to call plays. Also needs to fire the Sp Teams Coach ASAP. Sounds like he also let players get bullied and sodomized with a pool stick. He’s gotta go…

If I may...

Gus doesn't need to be stripped of his play calling duties but he does need some help from a hotshot coordinator in the areas of game planning and play design area.

I really like FAU OC/QB coach Brent Dearmon as a crafty play designer, game planner, and play-caller. He is a Gus protege' and runs a very imaginative offense.

We I said 10-2 at best and 8-4 in an absolute dumpster scenario prior to the start the year and stick to that - even with the performance tonight.

I also believe Gus is recruiting better than 🦛 ever did and will continue to improve.

Most years we will be among the top in the conference - even with the move to the Big 12
I agree with you 100%. JRP is part of the offense, but he is not the QB. He is not a passer. I want to see what a Gus Malzahn offense looks like when he has a QB that can run and throw, ahem TC. Let the kid loose. Let him make his mistakes now. I am willing to give JRP a few more games, but if he can't get a handle of the passing game by week 6, let TC take over and we ride for 3 1/2 years with TC.

Swaboda wasn’t ready. probably should have been benched

Heupel was a horrible recruiter here don’t get me wrong and the roster was getting softer each year but that man can coach QBs.

what may make him work at Tennessee is that they have a good NIL setup that does the recruiting for him
And Tenn paid for a real DC. Not ripping on Shannon but that whole situation seemed weird.

It’s hard to asses what Malzahn did or didn’t do at Auburn because his measuring stick is typically having to beat Bama just to play for any hardware. Not to mention LSU. Sure, his strengths and weaknesses can be gleaned from that and I’m pretty certain we all know playcalling is not his strength. Find help with that, and hopefully find a QB…it can overcome lots of faults.

100%

Reactions: Poolside Knight

Gus is going to need an exciting OC to call plays. Gus ball ain’t going to cut it. We can bring in all the 4 and 5 star receivers like Johnson, Myers, Hudson, but a 3 star can get it done here with the correct scheme. Heupel took over a UT team with talent issues and has them competitive and good offensively. He has a castoff QB as a Heisman candidate and receivers who were average before on NFL draft boards. His recruiting here did suck, but it’s going to take more than just better recruiting to keep fans excited and engaged about the product.

If you watched Auburn, the Gus circus offense was the same; trick plays, poor execution and a qb run first offense. When the defense scored, Auburn would win. Welcome to the Gus bus to hell. UCF has some studs at receiver, and running back, but Gus’ play calling was so predictable, you would have thought Louisville defense was calling the play. Run on 1st down, no gain; 2nd and long pass—-with Louisville bringing the house, and third and even longer after the sack. I can’t remember when I have seen UCF punt so many times in one game. I guess I am used to the offense scoring 50, and the defense giving up 51. The defense is improving, but the offense is pathetic…

If you watched Auburn, the Gus circus offense was the same; trick plays, poor execution and a qb run first offense. When the defense scored, Auburn would win. Welcome to the Gus bus to hell. UCF has some studs at receiver, and running back, but Gus’ play calling was so predictable, you would have thought Louisville defense was calling the play. Run on 1st down, no gain; 2nd and long pass—-with Louisville bringing the house, and third and even longer after the sack. I can’t remember when I have seen UCF punt so many times in one game. I guess I am used to the offense scoring 50, and the defense giving up 51. The defense is improving, but the offense is pathetic…
Yeah. When we fell behind Louisville 28-7 in 2013 or fell 21-0 down to Pitt 2019 we at least had some sense of hope that we had a chance at coming back. Last night after going down 17-14 it felt like an insurmountable deficit. That’s not right for this program.

He has no answers after his original script is done

even vs SC State he had a way too long stretch where the offense could do nothing

It is going to damper the fanbase passion(which was awesome last night) going into the big12 watching this offense. it is brutal and killing the brand Danny White created. You kind of cancel out your good recruiting when you mismanage the most important position in Sports

Over the past 12 games we have only scored on our opening second half possession once (vs Temple). We literally have no answers offensive. And supposedly have 4 or 5 star talent levels at QB, TE, 2 RB, and 4 WR (per 247 team talent). Just waiting on some talent improvement isn’t going to be it. This scheme isn’t going to work in this league with the type of linemen we recruit. Notice in the first half when we had success we ran tempo and second half that went away. Maybe the move to Big 12 will help the talent level even more.

Over the past 12 games we have only scored on our opening second half possession once (vs Temple). We literally have no answers offensive. And supposedly have 4 or 5 star talent levels at QB, TE, 2 RB, and 4 WR (per 247 team talent). Just waiting on some talent improvement isn’t going to be it. This scheme isn’t going to work in this league with the type of linemen we recruit. Notice in the first half when we had success we ran tempo and second half that went away. Maybe the move to Big 12 will help the talent level even more.
gus was in the SEC with auburn did that league magically give him players that could overcome his playcalling? or was that conference just too hard and this one is too easy and the big 12 will be just right.

Reactions: Yaes
and Temple is worse than some FCS teams. You have a problem when it seems like you can’t pull away from any d1 opponent . we’ll see if another QB change does anything but man there are some long term concerns with an AD who probably won’t challenge him about an offense that doesn’t work anymore w substitutions

gus was in the SEC with auburn did that league magically give him players that could overcome his playcalling? or was that conference just too hard and this one is too easy and the big 12 will be just right.
We can’t recruit blue chip linemen necessary for success in traditional offenses. The up tempo no huddle was our bread and butter 2017-2020. It covers up a lot of deficiencies on the line. Deficiencies now being exposed.

We can’t recruit blue chip linemen necessary for success in traditional offenses. The up tempo no huddle was our bread and butter 2017-2020. It covers up a lot of deficiencies on the line. Deficiencies now being exposed.
It certainly feels like the more we have gotten away from up-tempo the more we have struggled, probably for a lot of reasons. Of course the Huepel tempo-plus-throwing-bombs-all-the-time had its own problems.
In 2018 Huepel said he was basically running Frost's offense. 2019-20 was different.

Do all the coaches just have so much ego that they're incapable of running what's been proven to work with our of players and think they can do better?

It certainly feels like the more we have gotten away from up-tempo the more we have struggled, probably for a lot of reasons. Of course the Huepel tempo-plus-throwing-bombs-all-the-time had its own problems.
In 2018 Huepel said he was basically running Frost's offense. 2019-20 was different.

Do all the coaches just have so much ego that they're incapable of running what's been proven to work with our of players and think they can do better?
The coaches are teaching what they know. 2018 we were able to transition a little bit until Milton went down. Same in 2021 before DG went down. But these were experienced QBs comfortable in the previous systems. You aren’t going to see coaches teach another coaches system to a new recruit.

The coaches are teaching what they know. 2018 we were able to transition a little bit until Milton went down. Same in 2021 before DG went down. But these were experienced QBs comfortable in the previous systems. You aren’t going to see coaches teach another coaches system to a new recruit.
Yeah maybe, but for all the millions of dollars we pay these supposed "football geniuses" we hire to be coaches, it seems clear to me that the expectation should be that they design a system around what they have, and what has been shown to work here, with the style of recruiting that works here, rather than the well-this-is-what-I-do kind of thing that we see every time a new coach comes in.

Seriously, these multimillionaire geniuses can't branch out and put together a go-fast offensive plan that becomes their own? Are you suggesting that Huepel, again, supposedly worth all the millions a coach is paid, after a year of running the Frost go-fast to a conf championship and a ny6 bowl, isn't comfortable enough with it, hasn't studied it enough, internalized it enough, to be able to run it effectively in 19, and that's why he runs home to his bombs-away offense instead? I just don't believe that. I don't believe it's a matter of can't.

And let me be clear, I don't blame the players at all. The coach needs to put them in a position to succeed.

Yeah maybe, but for all the millions of dollars we pay these supposed "football geniuses" we hire to be coaches, it seems clear to me that the expectation should be that they design a system around what they have, and what has been shown to work here, with the style of recruiting that works here, rather than the well-this-is-what-I-do kind of thing that we see every time a new coach comes in.

Seriously, these multimillionaire geniuses can't branch out and put together a go-fast offensive plan that becomes their own? Are you suggesting that Huepel, again, supposedly worth all the millions a coach is paid, after a year of running the Frost go-fast to a conf championship and a ny6 bowl, isn't comfortable enough with it, hasn't studied it enough, internalized it enough, to be able to run it effectively in 19, and that's why he runs home to his bombs-away offense instead? I just don't believe that. I don't believe it's a matter of can't.

And let me be clear, I don't blame the players at all. The coach needs to put them in a position to succeed.
Yes. Each coach will have his own playbook and offensive theory that they teach. There is more to coaching than just looking at a prior year game and running those same plays if they worked.

Yes. Each coach will have his own playbook and offensive theory that they teach.

I know that's the case, and I'm saying that's an unacceptable situation. If that's the extent of a coach's ability to adapt, then I don't know why they're so highly paid.

There is more to coaching than just looking at a prior year game and running those same plays if they worked.
It's not plays. It's philosophy.

If we get an SEC coach who runs an offense that works with SEC players, why do we assume that the same thing will work with the style of team we build here? Coaches have to be able to adapt.

To turn it around, there's more to coaching than just doing what you did at the last place and hoping it will work here.

Reactions: HoopingKnight51
I know that's the case, and I'm saying that's an unacceptable situation. If that's the extent of a coach's ability to adapt, then I don't know why they're so highly paid.

It's not plays. It's philosophy.

If we get an SEC coach who runs an offense that works with SEC players, why do we assume that the same thing will work with the style of team we build here? Coaches have to be able to adapt.

To turn it around, there's more to coaching than just doing what you did at the last place and hoping it will work here.
Not sure what you mean. What does a coach adapting have to do with running a previous coaches offense? Like I said if you have veteran players, they will have been taught concepts by a previous staff, but at some point the new coaches have to teach what they know to new players.

Reactions: hendu1976fl
Even if Frost stayed, he wouldn’t be going undefeated every year. It wasnt his philosophy or play calling. See what thats done at Nebraska. Its getting the right players. Those same players could win with Gus and T Will. We have to get the right players. Heupel only lost 1 game first year. That was players. Not philosophy.

Frost caught lightning in a bottle, GOL had a lot of talented kids here and Frost hit on 3 or 4 more that were special. He has sucked at Nebraska.

Gus is a nice wealthy man who thinks he is an offensive genius. He needs to be back in Arkansas coaching high school football. The DCs in the ACC will soon have him pegged, then it will get bad, really bad.

I like Gus, but his offense sucks and is repetitive.

Reactions: HoopingKnight51
Gus is a nice wealthy man who thinks he is an offensive genius. He needs to be back in Arkansas coaching high school football. The DCs in the ACC will soon have him pegged, then it will get bad, really bad.

I like Gus, but his offense sucks and is repetitive.
We aren’t in ACC. AAC and this is last year in it. So 4 more years for Big 12 DCs to figure him out. Doesn’t matter until we get a good QB anyway. Not being able to score in a half its hard to beat anyone.

I hear a lot of people hiding behind a monitor on here who really don't know as much as they think they do. Don't like the playcalling. Okay, tell me what you would have done. I saw sprint draw, I saw counters, I saw dive plays Not sure I saw a toss play in the second half, but it has been a week and my memory is a little fuzzy. Tell me what you think would have worked. From somebody who has called plays, trust me, when the OL is getting whipped, there isn't anything on the play sheet that is going to work. I give credit to Louisville front 7 for changing that game. We just got beat up front. Those guys know it and hopefully we can grow from it.

I hear a lot of people hiding behind a monitor on here who really don't know as much as they think they do. Don't like the playcalling. Okay, tell me what you would have done. I saw sprint draw, I saw counters, I saw dive plays Not sure I saw a toss play in the second half, but it has been a week and my memory is a little fuzzy. Tell me what you think would have worked. From somebody who has called plays, trust me, when the OL is getting whipped, there isn't anything on the play sheet that is going to work. I give credit to Louisville front 7 for changing that game. We just got beat up front. Those guys know it and hopefully we can grow from it.
When it doesn’t matter what you call because it won’t work anyway, don’t you blame the coaches? It wasn’t Bama. It was UL who gave up 35 to FSU with a backup QB for over a half a game. It doesn’t matter play calls. Coaching them to block and execute matters. Thats not happening.

This exactly. It was evident what the issue was and it is hard to “adapt” in second half when what needed to adapt was the OL. I think they are probably individually good, but 2 transfers may still need time to gel in game with the others. But I also know nothing, however they fix that issue and this team will win a lot of games.

Im with you, it wasnt the plays called it was the execution. Two plays ended in tds called back. Other plays JRP was on his back before play started. One play that should have been called more was a designed rollout to get JRP out of pocket more. This would have given him open looks to receivers or at least allowed him yo make plays with his legs

I actually like Gus' playcalling. It's the lack of time together, due to transfers, as well as other execution issues, on the offense. T-Will needs a raise, the D is doing well enough to win games ... despite 'bending' a few times.

And unlike Heupel, Gus' playcalling isn't killing the D. Again, it's lack of time together and meshing, as well as execution. Lots of great playcalls and reads, with dropped passes or other mistakes made by the O itself.

This is the beginning of Y2. I try to hold the Coach accountable after Y2 as by this point, half the team should be his.
No ... not in the transfer era, let alone after Heupel's debacle of recruiting and other issues. We're going to let Gus retire from UCF in another decade, just like GOL (and we should have let him go after 2013).

Plus ... nothing good comes form firing coaches for consistently winning seasons, let alone consistently 8+ even 9+ win seasons. Take a note from Nebraska and most SEC schools, among others, who have made that mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT