ADVERTISEMENT

What constitutes Cultural Appropriation?

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003

I saw this article this morning about a French fashion company accused of 'culturally appropriating' a centures-old Chinese skirt. After reading the article, I still wasn't sure I understood what Dior's alleged crime was. If they had acknowledged it was inspired by an ancient Chinese design, would that have been okay? Or was it that they used it in the first place?

Seems to me that our modern history is full of examples of cultural appropriation, if that's the issue. Wasn't rock 'n roll inspired by American Deep South 'Blues' music? Wasn't the hit series, 'The Office' inspired by the British show of the same name? Isn't Disney+'s mega-hit TV show 'The Mandalorian' inspired by the 1960s Japanese TV show, Lone Wolf and Cub? I don't recall the Mandalorian's creator, Jon Favreau, mentioning Lone Wolf and Cub in any discussions of his show. Is that an example of cultural appropriation too? Maybe it's just me, but I see a Grand Canyon-wide difference between being inspired by another person's work of art versus stealing another artist's song or story, etc.

Show me anything that became super-popular and I'll show you dozens of similar products that came afterwards. Whatever happened to the notion that imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Cultural appropriation is usually a dumb argument IMO, especially now. I think years back it was more of an issue with white people getting credit for things that others created. The easiest example to me would be Elvis. While black musicians struggled to get on the radio or get much recognition in general, Elvis became super rich playing the same type of music, and it was because he was a good looking white guy. Nothing against Elvis, but others should have had the same sort of success as him, but werent given the opportunity. Now, I dont think it matters nearly as much since we are mostly past that point.

While black musicians struggled to get on the radio or get much recognition in general, Elvis became super rich playing the same type of music, and it was because he was a good looking white guy. Nothing against Elvis, but others should have had the same sort of success as him, but werent given the opportunity.
I understand the 'unfairness' of it. But when all is said and done, my sense is that anytime you bring special focus and attention on a supposed "new" trend, the spotlight also begins to shine on the people who originated it.

In your example, admittedly, it probably doesn't do much good for the poor shlups who inspired Elvis, but they laid the groundwork for future generations of Black musicians who not only became part of 'mainstream' modern music but arguably have dominated it.

I understand the 'unfairness' of it. But when all is said and done, my sense is that anytime you bring special focus and attention on a supposed "new" trend, the spotlight also begins to shine on the people who originated it.

In your example, admittedly, it probably doesn't do much good for the poor shlups who inspired Elvis, but they laid the groundwork for future generations of Black musicians who not only became part of 'mainstream' modern music but arguably have dominated it.

I think you can look at it that way now, but back then that wasnt the case because a lot of the people were never allowed to be successful due to their race. I dont think it is really that significant now ,because anyone who is talented can be successful no matter their race, so I think a lot of it today (with some exceptions I am sure) is just people bitching about something.

I saw this article this morning about a French fashion company accused of 'culturally appropriating' a centures-old Chinese skirt. After reading the article, I still wasn't sure I understood what Dior's alleged crime was. If they had acknowledged it was inspired by an ancient Chinese design, would that have been okay? Or was it that they used it in the first place?

Seems to me that our modern history is full of examples of cultural appropriation, if that's the issue. Wasn't rock 'n roll inspired by American Deep South 'Blues' music? Wasn't the hit series, 'The Office' inspired by the British show of the same name? Isn't Disney+'s mega-hit TV show 'The Mandalorian' inspired by the 1960s Japanese TV show, Lone Wolf and Cub? I don't recall the Mandalorian's creator, Jon Favreau, mentioning Lone Wolf and Cub in any discussions of his show. Is that an example of cultural appropriation too? Maybe it's just me, but I see a Grand Canyon-wide difference between being inspired by another person's work of art versus stealing another artist's song or story, etc.

Show me anything that became super-popular and I'll show you dozens of similar products that came afterwards. Whatever happened to the notion that imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery?
An interesting subject. Glad someone has such an inquisitive mind. The example of "appropriating music" probably isn't a good analogy, though. That's been evident throughout our history with song writing and composing. There is not a fine line with music until it's so obvious that a lawsuit settles the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT