ADVERTISEMENT

What does the offense look to the sidelines for between plays?

jj1987

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Savannah, GA
Okay...obviously the play call...but what does that mean in an up tempo offense? My questions to start the conversation are below, along with my assumptions in italics.
  • Designed run or pass only? - It's very clear to me this year (and post KZ last year) that we're making fewer RPO decisions at the snap and more designed plays. OLine is blocking down field instead of a hybrid pass/run block that we saw with Kz.
  • What routes to run? Do all players get new routes every play or only some? - I have to assume not everyone is getting new routes, it would be nearly impossible for a QB to remember 3-5 new routes every play, especially with < 10-15 seconds to memorize them. We've seen a couple of times where DG and BW have thrown to the wrong spot, so SOMETHING is changing with routes play to play obviously.
  • 1st, 2nd, 3rd checks for the QB? - If you notice on the deep balls, DG seems to look there first (throwing it within a second or two) and if the receiver doesn't get immediate separation he goes to the RB on a short pass.
With how fast we're going, I'm assuming that we're only getting small instructions from the sideline and the rest must be called between drives or something. With all the grumbling about how we didn't react to what Pitt showed, I'm curious how much we can actually call in between plays.

For those 100% new to the no huddle offense, a lot of the "in play decisions" are reviewed by Fish Duck. Great resource here...but nothing on how the plays are called in.
https://fishduck.com/the-oregon-foo...on-football-analysis-library-by-fishduck-com/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News