ADVERTISEMENT

What UCF Athletes (and Fans) Can Expect from Long Big XII Road Trips

I live in NC and hold season tickets for UCF so every UCF game for me is road Game . Lol. Until my kid finishes college I just don't see me personally traveling to any UCF away games . I like Big ZII exposure and money ,so don't get me wrong, but we are on a peninsula here and the travel is going to be rough for players and fans. In this regard I always felt the ACC was a perfect fit for UCF It will be fun this season going into those Midwest stadiums not as some Div I-AA body money game but as conference foes .

I live in NC and hold season tickets for UCF so every UCF game for me is road Game . Lol. Until my kid finishes college I just don't see me personally traveling to any UCF away games . I like Big ZII exposure and money ,so don't get me wrong, but we are on a peninsula here and the travel is going to be rough for players and fans. In this regard I always felt the ACC was a perfect fit for UCF It will be fun this season going into those Midwest stadiums not as some Div I-AA body money game but as conference foes .
Same for me too. I only live 3 hours away but I’m not driving 6 hours plus a 3 hour game n same day. I have to get hotel and food and such. I can’t do 7 games. Too much time and money. I just watch on tv minus 1 game per year.

Most fans will only go to 1 or 2 away games in a year anyways. B12 won't effect much. I have only gone to 1 away game ever. It will be harder on players, but not horribly worse. UCF has to fly almost everywhere it goes already. Outside of USF our closest game already was ECU, roughly a 7 hour drive. Need to keep F_U's on schedule regularly, and some lesser G5's as 2 for ones. Then Fill out OCC with a P5. The goal needs to be consistently having 6 or 7 home games.

Traveling far for away games is the one thing I truly don't understand UCF fans complaining about when switching to the big 12? We have NEVER been in a conference that made geographic sense. Aside from the cows (and them only since 2013) we've never had a conference foe that was overly close. It has always been long road trips or flights. When I was in school *old man voice* we were independent going all over the country and then in the damn MAC! The only 2 conferences that make sense to me geographically (ACC and SEC) are not inviting us anytime soon, so we need to be getting the most money we can to pay for the athletes travel to be as comfortable as possible.

it isn’t that different from the AAC

The Pac 12 would be a travel challenge or the Arizona schools if they joined the Big 12. Time zones effect you more than an extra 30 minutes on a connecting flight

Anyone thinking about away game(s) this year should go to the KU game. 1) Lived in downtown KC for years and it is awesome. 2) Lawrence is a fun college town (think austin) and 3) we have a shot at beating them

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Traveling far for away games is the one thing I truly don't understand UCF fans complaining about when switching to the big 12? We have NEVER been in a conference that made geographic sense. Aside from the cows (and them only since 2013) we've never had a conference foe that was overly close. It has always been long road trips or flights. When I was in school *old man voice* we were independent going all over the country and then in the damn MAC! The only 2 conferences that make sense to me geographically (ACC and SEC) are not inviting us anytime soon, so we need to be getting the most money we can to pay for the athletes travel to be as comfortable as possible.
I haven't spent a ton of time looking at Big 12 destinations but it seems to me that several (at least half?) require fans to rent a car after landing and driving the rest of the way to the school.

That's a PIA and a big deal breaker for me so that's my main complaint. It's not so much the literal time the trip takes but all the inconveniences (we also add "little to do" in many of these places).

This was not really the case with the AAC (USF, Temple, Tulane, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, SMU).

I dunno...

Last edited:
I haven't spent a ton of time looking at Big 12 destinations but it seems to me that several (at least half?) require fans to rent a car after landing and driving the rest of the way to the school.

That's a PIA and a big deal breaker for me so that's my main complaint. It's not so much the literal time the trip takes but all the inconveniences (we also add "little to do" in many of these places).

This was not really the case with the AAC (USF, Temple, Tulane, Cincy, Houston, Memphis, SMU).

I dunno...
Either spending 5+ hours flying to a regional airport, or driving an hour from larger airport. There will be initial excitement, but don't think a lot will do repeat trips to some schools. Non-football sport travelling will be rough, unless people are super excited to go to Ames, Iowa in the winter time.

Either spending 5+ hours flying to a regional airport, or driving an hour from larger airport. There will be initial excitement, but don't think a lot will do repeat trips to some schools. Non-football sport travelling will be rough, unless people are super excited to go to Ames, Iowa in the winter time.
If basketball team is good, doesn’t matter where they travel to, people will go. If they aren’t, home games won’t have people.

I dunno...
I read alot of negativity, then you list half of the cities we still have games in. Houston, Dallas, Cincy.

I am sure you can find a few things to do in Waco, short drive from Dallas or Austin.

BIGXII champ plays in Sugar Bowl if not in the playoff so add back in New Orleans.

BIGXII Championship is in Dallas, not someone's home stadium.

So you have plenty of options equal or better than before. Wait until we add UTAH, ASU, Oregon, and Washington.

Huggins may have just homophobic-slurred his way out of his job… can we call this the first ever UCF board jinx?
Different world. I bet this is his last year coaching anyway and they’ll come to an agreement for same he brought locker room talk to a radio, which is probably not the right way to go but a great guy. Again a different world.

Last edited:
I read alot of negativity, then you list half of the cities we still have games in. Houston, Dallas, Cincy.

I am sure you can find a few things to do in Waco, short drive from Dallas or Austin.

BIGXII champ plays in Sugar Bowl if not in the playoff so add back in New Orleans.

BIGXII Championship is in Dallas, not someone's home stadium.

So you have plenty of options equal or better than before. Wait until we add UTAH, ASU, Oregon, and Washington.
WVU is actually pretty easy to get into also. Can either fly into Pitt and rent a car will take about 1:20. Nice drive through the mountains. Or you can fly cheap via Allegiant out of Sanford to Bridgeport I think. Did that a couple times too, like :45 min drive to Morgantown.

Can you imagine the shock when UCF fans realize that the opponent is a "real' team and you don't have to try to convince the boobs that Tulsa, Memphis, etc are good teams and we actually play very competitive team-? (quotes around 'real' because I know full well that Memphis is better than a ton of P5 teams, but most of life would disagree, and think Vandy is better than any G5 simply because it's P5.-- we all know that ain't true.)

IOW.... WE NO LONGER HAVE TO EXPLAIN.

Reactions: PositYourself
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT