ADVERTISEMENT

What's best macro beer in America? 3 craft brewers taste test 16

KnighttimeJoe

Todd's Tiki Bar
May 29, 2001
It's a bit of a long read but fun, nonetheless.

There's a question people like to ask craft brewers: "What's your favorite mainstream beer?"

It's a fun and instructive question for the people who spend their days crafting gorgeously fruity IPAs and weighty stouts.

But it's not so easy to answer.

"Every time I get the question I say, 'Eh, they're all the same. I can't tell them apart,'" said Matt Gallagher, co-owner of Half Acre Beer Co. "But when you put them side by side, you can tell there are some major differences."

PBR!!!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/foodfocus/ct-macro-beer-tasting-food-0712-20170706-story.html

Honestly the craft beer culture and its fanboys have become insufferable. They make good beer but the group think mentality is just too much.

Sometimes you want to pick up a High Life 6 pack rather than paying $11 for a craft 6 pack. Which is absurd pricing BTW

Honestly the craft beer culture and its fanboys have become insufferable. They make good beer but the group think mentality is just too much.

Sometimes you want to pick up a High Life 6 pack rather than paying $11 for a craft 6 pack. Which is absurd pricing BTW

Agreed. I can appreciate a good beer but sometimes a Miller Lite will do just fine. Especially at sporting events, when you can get double the domestic beer for the same price as the craft.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Bud Light, for when you're drinking more than 10.

Btw, I went canoeing a few weeks ago and drank 8 All Day IPA's with about the same result as Bud Light. A lot more tasty but a lot more expensive, too.

There's a question people like to ask craft brewers: "What's your favorite mainstream beer?"

"Every time I get the question I say, 'Eh, they're all the same. I can't tell them apart,'" said Matt Gallagher, co-owner of Half Acre Beer Co.

Even before the experiment, this shouldn't have been his answer, it's bad marketing. These guys are selling the illusion that they produce better beer because of their discerning palate. When they claim they can't tell a difference between bud and coors that illusion disappears.

It's like woodworkers who can't appreciate the great design of ikea furniture. Yes, it isn't made to last forever and they cut every corner they can to produce the stuff cheap, but they're the #1 furniture maker worldwide because they have great visual designs.

I like Bud, but can't stand Bud Light. I like Miller Lite, but can't stand Miller High Life. I don't like Coors or Coors Light at all.
With any of these, they have to be ice cold. Any little bit of warmth, and I just don't like it.

If I want to get drunk, I drink Whiskey or Tequila.

Michelob Light......hands down my favorite "macro" brew. Every grocery store carries it but it is hard to find in restaurants because they usually will just carry Ultra which I can't stand.

If I want to go full flavor I will tend to go for a Sam Adams, which I now include in the macro world.

What I used to consider micro Brews are now in limbo because they have pretty big distribution and some bought out by bigger brands.....Kona and Shipyard.

I like several of these " macro brews " or whatever name they call them . And I understand folks who don't. But poured out of a bottle or can most all these beers have distinct flavor characteristics that most anyone should know is a change of brand . You may not like any of them but they damn sure don't all taste the same . I drink coors light for the most part but like ultra, mich light, rolling rock and bud light as well. Shame on them for even taste testing shlitz.

What is this Hamm shit they are talking about? Never heard of it. Not around here that I know of...

Yuengling is my go-to for erryday drinking followed by Miller Lite and others. Not Bud Light. Never Bud Light.

Reactions: CommuterBob
commie Texas doesn't sell Yuengling. Have to go into Louisiana to get it. Corona, Dos Equis, and Tecate flows like water, though.

I don't drink more than 1-2 beers in a night anymore. There's always the fear I'll have to get up at 3 am to change a diaper. I opt for IPAs and Pale Ales since I can't get a buzz off 1-2 Bud Lights.

Reactions: fabknight

Master your mind and money is no object, and you never have to drink shit beer again. You can do it mang.

So I've been right forever and everyone mocks me.

Well not quite. Busch Lite still sucks.

But I now scoff at paying $11 for a fuking 6 pack. And the craft beer world is now hijacked by the hipster liberal asshats which makes it less appealing to me. I visited a craft beer joint in Tampa recently and it might as well have been a Bernie Bro convention.

Nope. Miller Lite is the best macro brew, Hamm's is not a macro brew, I've never seen it. I buy a different $10-15 six pack every Friday at Publix. They're good sometimes but none of them are an everyday/all day drinking beer. $15 for a 15 pack of Miller Lite pints is the best deal in America. Chicago liberal hipster douchebags agree.

beer.png

My uncle used to go hunting in Canada and he'd bring back this Amber beer without a label. It was really pretty good and he said he couldn't find it by him back in the US.
I was on a business trip in Canada and out to dinner with coworkers. I see a waitress bring someone that beer. I tell her, "Ohh. That beer is great, I'll get a round for the table".
Turns out, the beer is Sleeman and it's like the biggest brewery in Canada. From the waitress's perspective I was basically going nuts over Natural Light. It is my favorite macro though, if it counts. If not, Yuengling.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I highly recommend people do blind taste test. My marketing class did the "Pepsi challenge." One person got lucky and guessed correct.

A study did the same with Stradivarius violins and regular violins. The experts couldn't tell.

With all the fixation on making more money, people would be better off on reducing their expenses.

http://www.investopedia.com/article...hology-behind-why-people-buy-luxury-goods.asp

There was an equivalent type of thing done with wine some time ago. They had a whole room of wine-os and they were asked to rate a whole host of different types, blindly, where the prices ranged from $10 a bottle all the way up to $200. Basically, the wines that rated highest averaged about $12.50 a bottle.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Not for everyone but I love Pacifico for day drinking. Big boy pants = Green Flash IPA (mostly their West Coast IPA)

I'm a big craft beer guy, however, not liberal.

There is a lot of crappy craft beer out there, and many macro beers are better than those.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I'm a big craft beer guy, however, not liberal.

There is a lot of crappy craft beer out there, and many macro beers are better than those.
Good beer is good beer, I dont care where it comes from. I think people would consider Amber Bock a macro beer and Id put it up against alot of craft beers. I tend to draw the line at $9 for a 6 pack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT